Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 28th July 2007, 12:43   #121
Senior - BHPian

I saw an Essar petrol bunk hidden away in velechery recently. Has any one tried this before ?
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 16:49   #122
Senior - BHPian

any updates from anyone. Is the Premium Fuel Really Premium or are they just with added additives??? Anyone got any confirmation on the octane ratings of normal fuel.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 16:55   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
^^ so is there a noticable differnce in mileage or pickup compared to other fuels ?
Sorry, didn't see your post earlier. The answer is no. No difference felt between IOC 91 & the so called "white" 93 octane.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 17:06   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Sorry, didn't see your post earlier. The answer is no. No difference felt between IOC 91 & the so called "white" 93 octane.
, very few people have actually gotten better mileage after using premium fuel. Most of the times the user phychologically feels he is getting better mileage and his engine seems smoother. Otherwise, i just feel that it is nothing but a great marketing gimmick of taking an additional couple of bucks per litre out of your pocket.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 17:46   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
well even for the fiesta petrol they recommend normal petrol with system G
I disagree on that. I had almost decided on buying a 1.6 Fiesta and the Ford guys specifically said that the Duratec engine will only perform optimally with 91-octane petrol or above.
samirsarkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 13:21   #126
BHPian

yeah thats what was the confusion the service advisor specifically told me dont use fuel like speed etc just use the normal fuel with systemG to this date the guys at shaman say that,but my car runs on premium fuel
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 17:31   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
A business associate in Bangalore recently had a problem with his Skoda 1.9TDi. The diesel pump had failed.

When he asked the service supervisor, he was told that it had mostly failed because of using premium diesel with additives. (He was always using Turbojet diesel). The service supervisor said that Skoda motor recommends you put only regualr diesel in the car. Apparently diesel with addditives tend to leave a small residue of additives causing gumming inside the pumps. (He said)

As you can imagine, my associate blew his top. Imagine paying more for fuel only to find out that your diesel pump (costing a cool 24K) has blown because of that.

As expected the Skoda dealership will not issue an official statement stating that as the cause of the failure.

I've just got a new diesel Verna and have decided to stick to chaalu diesel, after listening to this story. Maybe I can add some additives once in a while, like system G. Do you get system G for diesel?

I think I know what's up....it's not bull**** (the fellow might have been bull****ting and got lucky with a plausible excuse). The fuels have detergent additives that flush out waxy gummy goop out of the bottom og the tank that has no where to go except into the fuel pump where it is depositing because of the constriction. So unless you are using premium right from the first tank full, avoid it. Or flush your tank at home with detergent, into a bucket first. then mop it dry and start pumping premium.

I've heard of this problem once. I hope there's no other problem with the premium. using high octane fuels on low compression engines does absolutely nothing so its a waste of money.
Skindleberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 18:40   #128
BHPian

Interesting..

Two days back I tanked up my WagonR with Shell Super at Yousufguda in Hyderabad (Opp Saradhi Studios), after seeing the response for the Quality of the shell across the Team-Bhp, I did fill. But, I immediately felt lack of power and felt rough engine and jerking of the vehicle. Still running the same petrol, trying max to finish the tank, so that I fill regular petrol with Iftex System G as I do normally, which always gave me smoother drive.

Does anybody experienced the same with any Shell Super??
ravi@64bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 18:53   #129
Senior - BHPian

I have found better performance when I used Shell super Petrol (91 octane with additives) after my Swift had jerk/vibration issues with BP normal Petrol.

I am using BP Speed 93 octane on my Petrol Innova. I get FE between 7-11 kmpl in City-Highway. I can see smooth engine with BP Speed 93 octane.

I feel for WagonR we need to use normal Petrol, only premium cars go fine with Premium Fuel although they can run fine with normal fuel too.

Regards,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 12:38   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meenakshi View Post
Friends + Reddy,

In India - Normal Petrol and Diesel with a sensible fuel station identified (by owners for no adulteration) is a good choice rather than premium fuels.

Meenakshi
i agree.

Can you give more info on the quality scene here in india?

Latest Report

Folks i used to use IOC Premium fuel on my bike regularly and my bike used to behave little funny.. like starting problem, slugish at times but after going through this thread i tried normal fuel and after that my bike is performing [FONT=&quot]consistently.

So now on will use normal fule for both bike and car aswell.
[/FONT]
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 12:52   #131
BHPian

Are there any restrictions on using premium fuel in the break-in period?
-EMD
EatMyDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 13:30   #132
Senior - BHPian

Hey dudes from Hyd, does any of you know where Reliance petrol bunks are located? Any near Raj Bhavan Road?
Thanks
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 14:05   #133

Manufactures doesnot reccommend premium fuels as engines are made to give optimum performance with normal fuel.However there is high rate of adulteration possible in normal fuel as it is less priced.So if a company owned oulet is nearby then only use normal fuel as you get unadulterated fuel else one can use premium fuel.
philipjiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 14:10   #134
BHPian

I use Speed in my palio 1.2 NV. Only once i got regular fuel pumped into my tank. I felt no difference in terms of mileage and performance. After this i have stuck to speed. The owners manual of Palio 1.2 recommends fuel grade of 87 octane or above. As mentioned earlier in many posts, premium fuels have a more psychological effect.

I read it somewhere (it's mentioned in this thread also)that premium fuels have detergents mixed in them which dissolve the 'gummy' residue/particles in the fuel line hence preventing clogging of injectors.
kapilsharma80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 14:38   #135
Senior - BHPian

Before I got my car- the dealer had put in regluar fuel and had left it in the yard for a month. This apparently blocked the injector and the car was missing- so they cleaned the injector- and he Service manager asked me to fill regular fuel with SystemG. have not headed his advice and have only been putting Speed. The other day - i had filled a tankful of regular fuel - it appeared that i got a better mileage - thinking back that is. Maybe I should try regular fuel with SystemG for a while.
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote