Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th May 2016, 13:08   #226
BHPian

Default Re: Ever locked a car with the keys inside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
But the ceramic pieces seems to work atleast from various videos i have seen. The spark plug ceramic seems to be the top favorite.
I have seen those vids and I was hoping to see that in person if it worked. I suggested the same to the folks there, however sourcing the spark plug looked not so easy then at this tourist location (add to that it was a Sunday, all mechanic shops nearby were closed) so it was kept as the last option.
The other end of hammer which is curved to pull out nails worked in their favour in the end. Two hard blows and the window gave up.
Rahul_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 00:43   #227
BHPian

He must have located the boot release cable which is attached to the lever inside the cabin and pulled it. This is interesting information. I guess we should all check how easy this is to do on various car models for both security as well as convenience purposes. Or are there some fancy electronic solutions in some high end cars ? I know the Jazz boot release is only via the handle on the hatch door itself
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 14:12   #228
Senior - BHPian

Going through a self drive blog I stumbled upon a great idea on how to tackle the problem of locking keys in the car when on a trip, especially when help could be far far away. Just carry the spare key in your pocket!

Well, I was high up in the mountains with roads blocked, water frozen in hotel pipes and to do the morning business someone advised that I drive a little further up and pick a spot and do it.

It was the most scenic dump that I ever took but I ended up losing the key from my pocket as I was in my track pants with the front pocket sideways. Realized this only when I was about 1000 kms away from that spot back home.

So far for the past 2-3 years I've been driving with just one key now, with some habits that have helped me avoid locking keys in this or any other car so far.

Last edited by fine69 : 26th May 2016 at 14:15.
fine69 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 15:02   #229
Senior - BHPian

I never knew keys can be locked inside a car that has a remote lock.

Come to think of it, I never have bothered manually locking the door from inside and shutting it, I don't think it is even possible. The door most probably will unlock on shutting.
So one day while cleaning the car I managed to lock the car with the key inside. I have a habit of leaving the boot hatch open , but not locked shut when cleaning and this time the 4 door lock was not open. The hatch and side doors have different locks on the Figo. I left the keys in the boot and closed the hatch door and in the momentum , it shut hard and locked.

For a minute I figured I was wrong all these years and a key can be locked in on a remote central lock system.

Thankfully this happened at home and I had the spare key.
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 19:35   #230
BHPian

This happened to me in Dec 2013 at Shillong in Fludic Verna.

I was roughly around 250kms away from my home and was planning to return back. After packing up our luggage, like an obedient husband I picked up all the luggage. Opened the boot, kept the luggage inside and closed the boot, only to realize in a matter of split second that I've closed the boot lid with the key inside. Verna does not have any knob/button/lever to open the boot lid. Only two methods are either through the boot opening lever near driver seat or through the keyhole on the boot.

With the key locked, I had no other option than to try the desi jugaad method. Wasted one hanger of the place I was staying, used metal ruler but failed. Then I called up Hyundai Roadside Assistance. They arrived at site after long wait of 4 hours and did the job in plain 5 minutes.

But the job did not finish right there, the mechanic told me that once the driver side door is unlocked using ruler, the door can no longer be again locked from inside since it breaks some kind of locking mechanism. He had to open the door panel, tear apart the plastic that was inside and make that locking mechanism work again.

This whole exercise of me trying, waiting for assistance and getting things to normal took me around 6 hours. I had to pickup my in-laws who were waiting down in Shillong market. Poor chaps had to wait in some mall.

Good thing after that is my wifey always travels with a spare key in her purse.

P.S. - I remember stumbling across some thread here at Team-BHP that time. Someone had pointed out that his car had security system that he was not aware of and he broke the quarter glass, making his car immobile. Not that Fluidic comes with a quarter glass but that post literally scared me.
HalfOctave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 02:57   #231
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

This happened today with our 2 month old Figo to my family. The boot has no external lever or button and it has to be opened directly from the key or through the button on the dashboard. As fate would have it, my sister locked the car with the key in parcel tray. And my family was good 350Km away with even house key in the glove box. I wasn't personally in the location and this is based on the experience of my family today.

My father based on his experience quickly arranged for a steel ruler and screwdriver to try the old trick but Ford outsmarted that trick by covering the links with a plastic box. After speaking to the Ford customer care, they were helpful enough to send technicians from nearby service centre to help us. They made it clear that with handbrakes ON and gear engaged, it is also quite difficult to even load the car in a flat bed truck. Moreover, we also had to break the house doors to get the spare key in this case.

The technicians arrived in couple of hours but they had no specific idea except to try the ruler technique which never seemed to work. Not sure what they were thinking when they arrived bare handed with no specific solution.

I tired my best in looking through the internet but couldn't come up with a solution. Almost started convincing my family to break one of the window since Figo doesn't have a quarter glass.

I was skeptic about trying any other tricks since the car had engine immobiliser and even though the original key was present, I wasn't sure if the car detects the break-in attempt and activates the engine immobiliser. In that case, I wasn't sure if using the original key would de-activate the engine immobiliser or it needs to be taken to the service centre to be de-activated.

But a family friend proposed to slice through the 'rubber side beading' on the door and then insert a thin rod to open the internal door lever. Though it sounded far-fetched, they managed to do it and successfully open the door. It must have been a very delicate and precise operation. Of course, the alarm went off but luckily the engine immobiliser didn't kick in as I feared since the original key was available.

Overall, satisfied with Ford for their sincere follow-up. They didn't charge anything for sending the guys (4 of them). Though they weren't of much help, they were a moral support. (On a lighter note, I heard they only managed to drop in 2 rulers in the door gap.)

It took my family the whole day (almost) and quite a bit of scratch job on the 2 month old Figo. But, nevertheless it was an experience for us and it arises a lot of questions from an engineer's perspective.

Some after thoughts,
1. The engine immobiliser comes into play only when the car is cranked with counterfeit key.And break-in only triggers audible warning and the car can still be towed. (Not sure , yet)

2. We didn't try the boot cable (below driver's seat) method mentioned in few posts. Figo has a button and not a lever, so that wouldn't have worked either.

3. Not being able to sense the presence of the key inside is a big let down. I think such an use-case is not rare for OEMs to miss it. I suspect cost-cutting.

4.Ford has good design to prevent the good old slider trick. Though the beading method shows a chunk in the armour, the car triggered the audible alarm once the door was opened by this method. So, faith in Ford restored.

5.Had the centrol lock switch been placed on the driver side door, it would have been easier to click it using the rod rather than having to make a delicate move to pull the level.

Not sure if this method was financially better than having to break the window (we will know soon, esp the paint job). But was better for the sentiment of not having to drastically break the window in a new car. This is more of an Laparoscopy than a full blown surgery!

Here are some pictures,

The beading is barely visible when seen from this angle,

Ever locked a car with the keys inside?-img20161218wa0024.jpg

These are the damages that ensued

Ever locked a car with the keys inside?-img20161218wa0026.jpg

Scratches on the door which shows the intrusion,

Ever locked a car with the keys inside?-img20161218wa0023.jpg

Torn beading in the body,

Ever locked a car with the keys inside?-img20161218wa0021.jpg

Last picture from team bhp review to show how the door handle's position also helped to access with a thin rod inserted diagonally across the window.

Ever locked a car with the keys inside?-fordfigo10.jpg
vivee90 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2016, 12:17   #232
BHPian

Hello everyone.
Even i made this mistake. Well, actually one cannot say that it was my fault. What actually happened was, i turned the car on, got out of the car, as i was cleaning the car. What i didn't realize that i shut the car door behind me, and within some time, the central locking locked the car . The car was running, with the only key with me at that moment inside the ignition. The bonnet of the car was open, i thought of disconnecting the battery might help, which it didnt, to turn the car off at least.
What i did then was, i got a metal shirt hanger, straightened it and from the driver side door i pushed it through the door sil to gain access to the power window buttons. I thought of rolling down one of the windows. I asked my brother to hold the driver side door forcibly open with a screw driver to make a small gap to put the straightened hanger through(I had put a thick cloth between the door and screw driver to not cause any scratches)
I could roll down the rear left window, and opened the door.
Since then, if i am travelling anywhere outside, i keep a spare key too. Just in case of emergency.
allien936 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 20:31   #233
Senior - BHPian

Happened with me today in my Nano. I had key in ignition slot and by mistake locked my car using central locking before closing driver side door.

Now the scary bit was all windows were closed and my 2 year kid was inside the car
Luckily kid was relaxed, and I was near regular restaurant ( where I had gone to pickup some foodstuff )

They bought a long metal thing, we removed the rubber beading and door was unlocked in 5 mins.
It was such a relief for me, some more time and I would myself have broken down one of the window glass!

Last edited by silverado : 17th August 2017 at 20:44.
silverado is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 04:15   #234
BHPian

Hello Friends,

This has happened with me many times initially as a first time car owner, even with a manually locked car a M800. Most of the times it was within a close range of my home and M800 could be opened with a steel ruler, but the experience made me learn to carry the spare key in my pocket at all times while on road trips or if going out more than 15kms away from home.

Its usually the external factors/distraction which lead to such occurrences, a drivers responsibilities are far greater than just driving the car.

After taking the delivery of a new car always checked if it could be locked with the key inside (engine running or otherwise).

Even the thought of getting locked out of a car or house is scary so we never take chances.
Brumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 08:16   #235
BHPian

Happened to me on a hot summer day, when I got out of the car, engine running, closed the door, with the AC on, to do PUC. In couple of minutes the AUTOCOP took over and locked the car.
Petrol attendants and nearby garage mechanics used all the tricks in the book to open the door. Finally in vain they gave up and suggested to break the quarter glass.
Wisdom prevailed, and I borrowed a bike from the petrol station, went home 10 km away and got the spare key.
Lesson learnt. Now I always keep one window open when I exit the car to greet a friend, or better still take out the keys.
For long distance travels, car or bike I always carry a spare key.
Car -1997 Toyota Celica AT.
Happysmiles is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 15:01   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumby View Post
This has happened with me many times initially as a first time car owner, even with a manually locked car a M800.
I think I mentioned my experiences a long time back on the thread.

With completely manual systems, at least those I have known and used, the usual thing was that if the lock button was pushed down with the door open, it would spring up when the door was closed. But this could be overridden by operating the outside door handle whilst shutting the door.

For some reason, which I'm sure I thought was valid at the time, I used to do this regularly, hence the couple of times when I then noticed the key still in the ignition. After that I carried a spare (flat metal, with no plastic part) key in my wallet. Also, there was no chip in the key back then, and that key would have got me home in case of actual loss of the main key.

In these days (or should I say decades?) of remote/central locking, the button necessarily must be in the hand to lock the car at all. I have not found (well, not really tried) a way around that. Even the thirty-second-after-unlock relock is cancelled by opening a door.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 18th August 2017 at 15:03.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 16:32   #237
BHPian

I have tried this today at home on my Honda Amaze, of course with spare key in my pocket.
1. Unlocked the car by clicking on the 'Unlock' symbol on key remote.
2. Kept the key on the driver's seat with all the windows rolled up.
3. Closed the door.
4. But even after 5 minutes, I am able to the open the car driver's side door directly with out any issue.
5. I am little bit confused here.
6. Based on the experiences in this thread, I am expecting that door should get locked and I have to use my spare key to open via key hole.
7. Is this something fishy or something not working as expected in my car ?

Last edited by Hickstead : 18th August 2017 at 16:33.
Hickstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 17:05   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
I have tried this today at home on my Honda Amaze, of course with spare key in my pocket.
1. Unlocked the car by clicking on the 'Unlock' symbol on key remote.
2. Kept the key on the driver's seat with all the windows rolled up.
3. Closed the door.
4. But even after 5 minutes, I am able to the open the car driver's side door directly with out any issue.
5. I am little bit confused here.
6. Based on the experiences in this thread, I am expecting that door should get locked and I have to use my spare key to open via key hole.
7. Is this something fishy or something not working as expected in my car ?
After Step 1, the moment you open the door, the Auto lock feature will be disabled. Auto lock feature will function only when

1. Unlock the Car by clicking the unlock symbol
2. DO NOT do anything.

Auto lock will LOCK the car after a gap of 30-50 secs.

The moment you open the car door, then the car will not LOCK automatically.

What usually people do is,
1. keep the car remote and key within the car
2. Press the Lock button manually (if Driver side Button is pressed, due to central locking system, all other doors will get pressed to Lock position automatically)
3. Close the door.

This will lock the car with key inside

Last edited by gkveda : 18th August 2017 at 17:08.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 17:42   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

When, for instance, just fetching something from the car, I unlock from inside the house, and then dash to get one of the doors open before it locks itself.

I don't know how my Polo behaves if I press the lock button with the door open and then close it. I don't often use that button. I tend to forget that, when stopping to pick someone up, engine still running, I have to press it to let them in. Or allow a petrol guy to open the flap.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 13:33   #240
BHPian

Had to face this situation last Saturday with my friends 2007 model Swift. Myself and him were doing a jugaad to fix the windscreen wipers. His job was to activate the stalk and mine to pour water on the windscreen. All was well and he in happy came out to look at it and slammed the door, autocop kicking in. We tried the ruler method from rear quarter glass panel, but no luck. Went to maruti showroom and he suggested to unlock the car using the spare key, through phone. We tried this but didnt work.

My friend gave up, travelled to his house and brought the spare key.

On a lighter note, the battery on the spare key remote was down and it never worked. Felt sad for his mother who was trying to unlock for atleast 15 min with different phones
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote