Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th May 2016, 13:08   #226
Default Re: Ever locked a car with the keys inside?

Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
But the ceramic pieces seems to work atleast from various videos i have seen. The spark plug ceramic seems to be the top favorite.
I have seen those vids and I was hoping to see that in person if it worked. I suggested the same to the folks there, however sourcing the spark plug looked not so easy then at this tourist location (add to that it was a Sunday, all mechanic shops nearby were closed) so it was kept as the last option.
The other end of hammer which is curved to pull out nails worked in their favour in the end. Two hard blows and the window gave up.
Rahul_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 00:43   #227

He must have located the boot release cable which is attached to the lever inside the cabin and pulled it. This is interesting information. I guess we should all check how easy this is to do on various car models for both security as well as convenience purposes. Or are there some fancy electronic solutions in some high end cars ? I know the Jazz boot release is only via the handle on the hatch door itself
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 14:12   #228
Senior - BHPian

Going through a self drive blog I stumbled upon a great idea on how to tackle the problem of locking keys in the car when on a trip, especially when help could be far far away. Just carry the spare key in your pocket!

Well, I was high up in the mountains with roads blocked, water frozen in hotel pipes and to do the morning business someone advised that I drive a little further up and pick a spot and do it.

It was the most scenic dump that I ever took but I ended up losing the key from my pocket as I was in my track pants with the front pocket sideways. Realized this only when I was about 1000 kms away from that spot back home.

So far for the past 2-3 years I've been driving with just one key now, with some habits that have helped me avoid locking keys in this or any other car so far.

Last edited by fine69 : 26th May 2016 at 14:15.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 15:02   #229
Senior - BHPian

I never knew keys can be locked inside a car that has a remote lock.

Come to think of it, I never have bothered manually locking the door from inside and shutting it, I don't think it is even possible. The door most probably will unlock on shutting.
So one day while cleaning the car I managed to lock the car with the key inside. I have a habit of leaving the boot hatch open , but not locked shut when cleaning and this time the 4 door lock was not open. The hatch and side doors have different locks on the Figo. I left the keys in the boot and closed the hatch door and in the momentum , it shut hard and locked.

For a minute I figured I was wrong all these years and a key can be locked in on a remote central lock system.

Thankfully this happened at home and I had the spare key.
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 19:35   #230

This happened to me in Dec 2013 at Shillong in Fludic Verna.

I was roughly around 250kms away from my home and was planning to return back. After packing up our luggage, like an obedient husband I picked up all the luggage. Opened the boot, kept the luggage inside and closed the boot, only to realize in a matter of split second that I've closed the boot lid with the key inside. Verna does not have any knob/button/lever to open the boot lid. Only two methods are either through the boot opening lever near driver seat or through the keyhole on the boot.

With the key locked, I had no other option than to try the desi jugaad method. Wasted one hanger of the place I was staying, used metal ruler but failed. Then I called up Hyundai Roadside Assistance. They arrived at site after long wait of 4 hours and did the job in plain 5 minutes.

But the job did not finish right there, the mechanic told me that once the driver side door is unlocked using ruler, the door can no longer be again locked from inside since it breaks some kind of locking mechanism. He had to open the door panel, tear apart the plastic that was inside and make that locking mechanism work again.

This whole exercise of me trying, waiting for assistance and getting things to normal took me around 6 hours. I had to pickup my in-laws who were waiting down in Shillong market. Poor chaps had to wait in some mall.

Good thing after that is my wifey always travels with a spare key in her purse.

P.S. - I remember stumbling across some thread here at Team-BHP that time. Someone had pointed out that his car had security system that he was not aware of and he broke the quarter glass, making his car immobile. Not that Fluidic comes with a quarter glass but that post literally scared me.
HalfOctave is offline   Reply With Quote