Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th February 2007, 16:16   #1
BHPian

Exclamation header help

i had emailed some place for a header for my corolla in the US i wanted a 4 2 1 stainless header
this is what they replied i cant make head nor tail out of this experts please helppp

[COLOR=#000080] (4-2-1) can work great. They really work if the primaries are 25-30 inches in length If you try and do it in the stock space it is so short that it will still act like a manifold were the exhaust pulsation can go up and push the intake stroke out [/COLOR]
paras211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 18:06   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
(4-2-1) can work great. They really work if the primaries are 25-30 inches in length If you try and do it in the stock space it is so short that it will still act like a manifold where the exhaust pulsation can go up and push the intake stroke out
@Paras, I don't claim to be an expert on FFE systems, but here's my 2 cents on the reply given to you:

By primaries, Im sure they're referring to the 2 or more primary runners that flow out from your exhaust manifold.

A bit of theory: 'Tuned' headers are nothing but exhaust runner pipes whose lengths are calculated based on the reverberation of the exhaust pulse in the tubes. Think of the exhaust gasses pulsing back and forth (sort of an echo effect) in the exhaust tubes. If the length of the tubes is just right, the pulse can exit the tube just when its headed that way, and therefore faster with minimal amounts of backpressure.

Now, if the length is 'too short', as they say, the backpressure from the exhaust pulse can actually push the intake mixture out from the combustion chamber (when intake and exhaust valves overlap), thus causing a significant decrease in power.

Hope that helps, and didn't confuse you even further!

You can do more research on header tuning on this forum itself or elsewhere on the 'net. You can also PM a few of our in-house tuners for info (Viper, Psycho, Autopsyche come to mind). Instead of ordering SS headers from abroad, you can totally get them made here and have them sent to you, if you don't know anywhere local that is......

peace!
vezj420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 21:11   #3
BHPian

thanks that helps how is this length measured?
who measures it and makes it ? i doubt automech
Old 12th February 2007, 22:10   #4
Team-BHP Support

Check out Magnaflow. I think few shops in Mumbai sell those. Search google or Indian auto mags..
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 23:12   #5
BHPian

i have got a magnaflow exhaust they dont make headers
its the sweetest sound i ve ever heard inside the car barely audible at low revs and not ricepopping at all
Old 13th February 2007, 14:01   #6
BHPian

Dude, you're in Mumbai....get in touch with Viper to make u a set of MS/SS headers.
vezj420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 15:00   #7
BANNED

Hey Paras,

Sad you have been looking for headers and not finding one. Good choice but if your corolla is new you'll loose out on the warranty, if you still insist on having one i can share ph no: from a pro in Bangalore.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 17:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezj420 View Post
Dude, you're in Mumbai....get in touch with Viper to make u a set of MS/SS headers.

There is a T-Bhp member who has custom headers on his Corolla if im not mistaken. Unfortunately my grey matter fails me at the moment. Try and talk to him too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Good choice but if your corolla is new you'll loose out on the warranty
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 21:35   #9
BHPian

its 2 and a half years old so waranty isnt an issue i dont want any other reliability problems or things like the intake stroke getting screwed up