Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2007, 21:05   #1
BHPian

Default Start battery dead cars without jumper cables using static electricity

Saw this video on metacafe .Describes how to start your car with dead battery if you are stranded in the middle of somewhere without anybody to push your car or an incline to do it yourself.intersesting since the person has used static electricity to charge the battery.
revvedup is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17th February 2007, 22:23   #2
BHPian

Hey revvedup! Nice find. I'll remember that hint.

Btw, I liked that car in the video! Nice instrument panel and orange lights.
Absar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 15:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey man, saw this video last night and was excited. Left the parking lights of Scorpio on for the night as wanted to try this on...! Predictably the battery was dead in the morning.

Sneaked out with better half's wollen cap and rubbed it on the +ve terminal for more than 10 mins. Before somebody reminds me about the parking lights being left on, let me tell that the same were switched off before doing this experiment. Tried cranking the engine but except for a 'tak, tak' of the starter nothing happened.

Rubbed the cap again - this time vigorously and in the process ruined the cap . Again nothing happened. Had to start the scorpio by using jumper cables and connecting with the Safari. Then took it out for a spin for 8 kms to charge the battery.

Now I'm in the doghouse for ruining the home minister's cap. Have not been served brunch in revenge. Result of the experiment - Sunday totally ruined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
Saw this video on metacafe .Describes how to start your car with dead battery if you are stranded in the middle of somewhere without anybody to push your car or an incline to do it yourself.intersesting since the person has used static electricity to charge the battery.
gd1418 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 20:06   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post

Tried cranking the engine but except for a 'tak, tak' of the starter nothing happened.

Rubbed the cap again - this time vigorously and in the process ruined the cap . Again nothing happened.

Now I'm in the doghouse for ruining the home minister's cap. Have not been served brunch in revenge. Result of the experiment - Sunday totally ruined.
this is so funny!!
Absar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 01:53   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey man, saw this video last night and was excited. Left the parking lights of Scorpio on for the night as wanted to try this on...
HAHAHAHA !!! Awesome!

I saw this thread two days ago and left it open as i didnt get a chance to watch the video, but i was very skeptical.

I finally got a chance to watch the video right now and thought to myself that it seems very unlikely, but it would be unfair to say so without trying it first.

And then i refresh this thread and see your reply

Now to play devils advocate -
- Are you sure the cap was wool?
- Doesnt ambient temperature has something to do with static electricity? (i dont know what or how?)
And most importantly -
- Leaving the lights on probably drained the battery SO low that theres no chance of this method helping. If the battery was at 95-99% of the voltage required to start the car...then MAYBE this might have worked?

Great to see you tried it though!!!
Now go buy the better half a new cap.
cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 02:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

The video right from the start, kept me wondering whether a static charge from wool being rubbed for 10 minutes would be enough to kick start a car engine!

@gd1418

I am not sure about this, but does it have to do something with the diesel engine of the scorpio, since they don't have a spark plug and hence need more power from the battery?
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 07:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Anyone please explain the whole process for dial-up guys like me; through which it will take ages to download a video !!!
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 07:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
The video right from the start, kept me wondering whether a static charge from wool being rubbed for 10 minutes would be enough to kick start a car engine!
exactly,
we need to run a motor with that electricity to kick off the engine. highly unlikely.
vivekiny2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 08:40   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sneaked out with better half's wollen cap and rubbed it on the +ve terminal for more than 10 mins.
Hey GD, - like Rehaan said, are you sure it was wool ? A lot of winter-wear these days are acrylic.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 12:31   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Anyone please explain the whole process for dial-up guys like me; through which it will take ages to download a video !!!
Basically, take something woollen and rub it on the +VE terminal of your battery for 10mins. Thats it!

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 13:32   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun
Basically, take something woollen and rub it on the +VE terminal of your battery for 10mins. Thats it!

cya
R

Last edited by Sankar : 19th February 2007 at 13:34.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 13:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

cya
R
Yeah & either your car will start or your missus will start. either way, something will start, so have a great time.

@gd1418....man , are you crazy ?? sundays are meant to be quiet.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 14:10   #13
BHPian

Quote:
HAHAHAHA !!! Awesome!
- Doesnt ambient temperature has something to do with static electricity? (i dont know what or how?)
Yep, more than temperature, humidity playes a huge role. More humid atmosphere is more condusive to transfer of "ions".

Quote:
- Leaving the lights on probably drained the battery SO low that theres no chance of this method helping. If the battery was at 95-99% of the voltage required to start the car...then MAYBE this might have worked?
The whole concept of static electricity is involving rubbing of two insulators, where one insulator looses electron and the other gets them. In this case we are rubbing an insulator (wool) with a conductor (Battery terminal). So, I am not really sure this works.
Guys, keep your wools for winter
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 15:30   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

E_L, good one that ..

GD, are you sure you only rubbed the cap against the battery terminal and not polished the terminal ?
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 18:48   #15
BHPian

I was also apprehensive of this method working in big cars like the scorpio (man that car uses relays to deliver power to those headlights) and gd this meant to help you in a emergency and not for creating one..
However despite the risk will try this out using my own apparatus.
revvedup is offline   Reply With Quote