Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 29th December 2004, 10:37   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The real reason for the vibrations is that the Accent CRDI has a three cylinder engine - as simple as that. You cant expect the same refinement as a four cylinder.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2004, 11:02   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
The real reason for the vibrations is that the Accent CRDI has a three cylinder engine - as simple as that. You cant expect the same refinement as a four cylinder.

GTO
The three cylinder thrum is different man.
I know the same refinement cannot be expected from a 3 pot.

Lets say the vibrations are because of the 3 cylinder imbalance then how would a change in the exhaust account for the reduction in those vibrations.
The backpressure theory seems more likely to me as told by automech.

Drifter
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2004, 11:45   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A three cylinder diesel engine will be inherently less refined than a four cylinder one of similar size. You can work your way around some vibrations by modifying exhausts, chipping, custom engine mounts (like in my Jeep) etc. etc. but not all of them. Thus, the back pressure reduction you mention may have helped in reducing some...but the three cylinder design will always have huge limitations when it comes to refinement.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2004, 12:12   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Thus, the back pressure reduction you mention may have helped in reducing some...but the three cylinder design will always have huge limitations when it comes to refinement.

GTO

Drifter
Old 29th December 2004, 12:19   #35
Senior - BHPian

Default Interesting article on Diesel Mods

Simply stated, Propane (LPG) Fumigation is the introduction of gaseous propane into the air intake of a diesel engine for the purposes of attaining more power, economy, or both. The parallel is often made between fumigation and using Nitrous Oxide on gasoline vehicles to achieve a power increase. Basically, this analogy is correct, although the properly implemented use of LPG on a diesel engine will actually result in a better-running engine without the possible damaging effects that N2O has on gas motors.

Read the full article on - Propane Fumigation
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2004, 13:06   #36
Senior - BHPian

That article is really informative...i didnt know something like this could be done in a diesel. Go to google and search for lpg fumigation kits for diesel engines. Even more articles can be found.

http://franzh.home.texas.net/dualfuel.html

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 29th December 2004 at 13:08.
Old 1st January 2005, 19:41   #37
BHPian

hi,drifter and speedsathya,the device i mentioned is a made in austria device and is imported.they have their own catalogue printed in some strange language giving clearly the bhp before and after fitting the device.i agre the price is slightly high but if it does not damage the engine it is ok,i feel.this person is in chennai and the name of his shop is dreams.actually i am not aware of anyone who has fitted this in their cars.
about k&n filters,does it really improve power in a diesel engine?someone told me they improve power output at only high revs which diesel engines cannot attain easily.and about exhaust modifications,is it safe in the crdi as it is a turbo?
and everything said and done,i dont think a diesel engine will give the same pleasure as a petrol engine to the true-blue enthusiast.which is why i sometimes think of selling the car off!!the engine vibrations of my car as soon i start it daily in the morning is a huge disappointment
sorry for the delay in replying
carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2005, 20:06   #38
BHPian

Lightbulb Excellent Thread !!

I find this thread very informative.

I've been thinking about this for quite some time. Has anybody thought about making a dual fuel engine by having twin common rails to the cylinder assembly? One could be a diesel and another could be either propane, butane, CNG or you name it.. Maybe have a selector knob which controls the % of Diesel or CNG needs to be supplied to the engine for tuning purposes. This takes care of the fuel-efficiency of the vehicle.

Plus add a Turbo-Charger and Intercooler to add power to maintain the BHP levels. and we have a stunner.

By-the-way, i am not sure anybody provides Turbo-Charged CRDI engines presently.
man23ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2005, 20:18   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak
.and about exhaust modifications,is it safe in the crdi as it is a turbo?
and everything said and done,i dont think a diesel engine will give the same pleasure as a petrol engine to the true-blue enthusiast.which is why i sometimes think of selling the car off!!the engine vibrations of my car as soon i start it daily in the morning is a huge disappointment
sorry for the delay in replying
The exhaust modifications of my crdi has not created any problems till date...but i havent done anything to the headers yet...simply because i havent seen the headers being done on any diesel car before....so dont know if playing with the headers of a turbo crdi engine is a good idea or not.

Yeah modern diesel engines can match or even better the petrols for performance...but u are right a true blue enthusiast would rather drive a petrol...

I love petrols myself especially because u get a lot more rpms to play with than u get in a diesel engine. (the red line on my crdi is just 4500rpm)

But riding that wave of torque of the crdi is simply addictive....its really fun...but the fun ends relatively fast as u slam into the redline...time to upshift.

@ man23ish
N by the way, the hyundai accent crdi has a turbocharged crdi engine.

Drifter
Old 27th February 2005, 18:07   #40
BHPian

Has anyone tried the K&N stock replacement filter on an Accent CRDi?I've got one installed on my Accent CRDi.My company has just started marketing K&N filters in Kerala.There is a small but noticeable difference in the performance.The CRDi as such has always been fast and fun to drive,although it can't hold a candle to the E220 CDi or a late model City VTEC.The K&N has improved intown driverablity because of lesser gear shifts.I've tried to get performance chips for the car from the U.K. don't know about the free flowing exhaust mods though.Diesels don't usually respond to free flows as petrols do.And a badly designed unit can fry your valves in no time.Then the car will sound like a diesel bullet on four wheels...backfire,et al!
coloneljasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2005, 11:45   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish
By-the-way, i am not sure anybody provides Turbo-Charged CRDI engines presently.
Arent all CRDI units turbocharged? (atleast all hyundai CRDIs)
(this is what i was told, but have never managed to verified it yet)

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2005, 16:06   #42
BHPian

Yes,Rehaan.All CRDis are turbo-charged.Hyundai,Mercedes,Fiat,Toyota,Nissan,Alfa Romeo....all use turbo charged Common Rail Direct Injection engines.Turbos give these engines that extra boost which make them almost as fast (in some cases even faster) as petrol engines.But Pumpe Duse and unit injection are getting better too.
coloneljasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2005, 18:28   #43
Senior - BHPian

Default Refined??!?!

I've seen the words in most of the posts in this thread

well I know in simple words one would call "refined" > smooth engine, less vibrations, smooth exhaust note on stock silencer and smooth drive
  1. How would one define "refine" technically?
  2. How would you call an engine "refined"?
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2005, 23:38   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljasi
Yes,Rehaan.All CRDis are turbo-charged.Hyundai,Mercedes,Fiat,Toyota,Nissan,Alfa Romeo....all use turbo charged Common Rail Direct Injection engines.Turbos give these engines that extra boost which make them almost as fast (in some cases even faster) as petrol engines.But Pumpe Duse and unit injection are getting better too.
Thanks for confirming that jasi,

Well it makes sense that they are TCd since deisels respond a lot better to turbocharging, ie much easier to get greater efficeincy from TCing a deisel than a petrol.
Im just suprised they arent using the word "turbo" much when marketing the CRDI!

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2005, 15:21   #45

Since the Palio Diesel aleady has a chip controlled engine, will it be easier to turbo charge it ?
nitishbania is offline   Reply With Quote