Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th April 2004, 14:02   #16

hey Dom.....

kewl stuff on octane...! but wht abt bike...? which bike have ya tried on.. wht abt the compression in the bikes....? wht abt the octane for a Karizma.... a pulsar n a CBZ....???

bike freak
nav
teen_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2004, 15:44   #17
Team-BHP Support

Dom-

Aah.....the market price of 120Rs/Ltr in comparison to the 30Rs/Ltr u quoted earlier makes this much more understandable now!

Also, when you mention octane are u talking RON, MON or +/2 ?

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2004, 15:54   #18
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hey all fellow bhp \ians,,Two bits of good news that need to be posted/followed on by all of us,,one Honda has displayed the NEW CITY at the bangkok motor show with a 110 bhp VTEC motor,,and the CMD of bharat petroleum says they are ready to launch SPEED 97 OCTANE ,,if he sees the demand,,so get busy pestering honda siel and bpcl
snoopy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2004, 16:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

hey dom,

this is kewl stuff maan !!!!

we use toluene regularly in our factory.. and we buy it at 28.50/ltr. but i gotta check if its sulphur free.

cheers

keep it coming pal
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2004, 16:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hey,

Ninja: try about 500ml per 5ltrs of fuel. Should be more than enough for the bike. I have tried on pulsars and also in bikes like R1, CBR etc. It will work good!!. The bike will be more smooth.

Rehaan: the RON rating is 121, and MON is 109. and r+m/2 is 115.

Normally Cr: Dude can you tell me the purity of the toluene you are using?. If its the best quality i would like to pick up a barellel. Let me know.

Cheers
Dom
Domnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2004, 19:47   #21

hey Dom...!

but wht abt the AT oil n the diesel...? wonn it b better to add those as well .. or can it be done away with it....? n one more query... engine oil for the bikes... it's 20 w 40.... is it gud enough.. wht if we cud use the 15 w 40 castrol gtx magnetec......?? will it do ne harm for the bike....? i knw those oil's for the car which run on low RPM... but... give me some suggestions...??? whtz the power increase in usin the 10:1 ratio f taulene....?
Old 25th April 2004, 01:03   #22
Team-BHP Support

Thanks bud.

-R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2004, 01:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
The AT and Diesel would be good. But not required at all. I was mentioning it as most octane boosters use similar additives in their brew. U can use the magnatec but you would have to change the oil filter for a suitable type as its a semi synthetic oil. But due to indian conditions 20W40 is pretty good for your bike. Go to castrol's website they have charts to show you suitable oils according to temperature. But remember you will have to change the filter element when adding syntetic oils as normal filters are not made for this kind of oil. The power increase on bikes depends, i cant really put it into figures. Just try it and you will be happy 10:1 is more than enough. The bike will be more smoother and be more responsive.

Cheers
Dom
Old 27th April 2004, 01:42   #24

hey Dom...

*well i did try it on the CBZ n the Karizma... engine sure was smooth n was more responsive.... bike was really kewl.... ne ways the sad part is tht it costs abt Rs.160 /Lts ,.... got to find a dealer who can give us a better rates....!
nav

Old 27th April 2004, 02:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

hey dom, thats some great work there. you know i would think about this in college when they were teaching us a chapter on fuels, and i actually put this question to my prof on increasing the octane rating of fuels and what i thought about how it could be done, and believe it or not, i was told to stop wasting the lecture time, and was asked to concentrate on studies instead and to try to get less KTs. maybe education does ruin us after all, atleast in parts. maybe one of these days, ill pick up just enough from you, so that i can spill some high octane fuel on the jackasses' face.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2004, 12:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hey,
Ninja: Speak to Normally Crazy he will surely be able to help you source out cheaper toluene. Great that you liked it!. The engine will actually be very smooth and rev very fast!.

Ported_Head: Thanks dude, great to know you liked my stuff. Take care dude.

Cheers
Dom
Old 27th April 2004, 15:31   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]i actually put this question to my prof on increasing the octane rating of fuels and what i thought about how it could be done, and believe it or not, i was told to stop wasting the lecture time, and was asked to concentrate on studies instead and to try to get less KTs. maybe education does ruin us after all, atleast in parts.
hmmm... now thats some thinking to think abt ....and get less kts ? why did he say that i wonder ? he expects u to get kts ??
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2004, 14:55   #28

hey Normally crazy...

heard tht u can get Toluene at a cheap price... can ya get me the address as to where i can get the same....
Old 2nd May 2004, 05:31   #29
BANNED

hey maybe after the 98 octane we wont need this..!!!!!
vishnugnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2004, 21:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

hey dom
will surely try this after my exams
thanx
alot
lamborghini
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote