Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th May 2004, 14:26   #31
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys,
* *Please understand india measures octane ratings by RON. and always remember RON is always lesser than MON. For example our 93 octane (speed) is about 89 octane. just thought id let u guys know

Cheers
DOm

PS: Hey Vishnu.... dude if we do get 98octane as you said, always remember the companies also use toluene to increase octane.... so your statement on we dont need to use this is wrong... as you will be using it anyway...

Domnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2004, 16:36   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] heard tht u can get Toluene at a cheap price... can ya get me the address as to where i can get the same....
sure ninja i will..but rite now im trying to find out whether the toluene is sulphur free or not.
as i am clear with the tests i will give u the address !!!

cheers
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2004, 19:09   #33
BHPian

Hey dom I plan to try this brew on my fiat acan I use speed petrol in this way with totuene 6lts of petrol and 4 ltrs of toluene right ! messae me back buddy???
Team Fiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2004, 02:44   #34
Senior - BHPian

wow,
this is the best site .i feel sorry for people who cannot acess our site .this is simply superbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb.
pls tell as to where can one find toulene
speedsatya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2004, 00:00   #35

I cant belive so many of you guys havent heard of this before. Its really old. Reading the post the impresion I got was

1. A whole lot of guys are eager to go out and try this on their stock cars / bikes. (Dont)

2. Have you uped the comp. Changed the timing ?. If so how much if not dont try this. i.e. if your runing a stock Indian Car or bike dont try this. We have done Dyno tests with all the fuels sold in India. On stock cars and bikes. In most cases lower octane provided more power (remember lower octane fuels burn faster). Then we repeated the tests with modifed heads bumping up the compresion. Here we got the best performance with IOC Preium. Tolulene just didnt match. (Maybe the quality wasnt so good).

2. The mixture methods recomended are try 1Ltr to 10 Ltrs or try 6Ltrs to 4 Ltrs. Actually the correct way is decide what compresion ration your going to run. After you increase the compresion. Get a good engine builder to recomend the octane rating you need for your particular compresion ratio. And Engine size. Then brew acordinglly.

3. It is critical that you re-jet based on the mixture your runing. Because fuel to air ratio for gas is like 1:12 for Tolulene its 1:9.8 so if your going to be adding upto 40% of Tolulene you have to re-jet.

4. The only Cars bikes that will benefit from going down this route are imported performance cars and bikes With comp rations in excess off 12:1 no veichel made in India comes with such high comp.

5. If its power your after then the ticket is Methanol cause it has a BTu/LB rating of 9800 and a ratio of 1:4.5. If you want a rocket get a brew with 5% nitromethane. But like mixing Tolulene you juts cant pout it in and go riding. *Extencive mods are required to the compresion ratio and timing.

Tolulene ratings are RON 120-124, MON 110-113.
This chemical is used extencivelly in the Paints inductry and is a major component in Paint thiner. Paint thiner has the added advantage of containing acetone.

As to the question. Which will work better 97 Octane from a pump or 97 Octane home brew. The answer is pump gas.

Finally Id like to quote from various SAE pappers and books but it wont make sence to most of you so I quote from Graham Bell cause his books are avalible cheap in India. Page 157
"Octane Boosters and fuel additives are an unreliable method of increasing fuel octane levels. Sometimes the additives work. On other days they do not. Depending on how the fuel companies are blending their fuel."

Take the RD for example. Typical of most engines made in India. Low comp ratio. Cause the bike should run in various parts of the country on the poorest of gas. With todays good gas you can bump up comp to 150 Psi and still run pump gas.
Its when we crossed 220 PSI and noticed detonation on the piston crown that we finally had to resort to mixing Tolulene.

No disrespect Dom mate but do you really want guys on stock motors going out and brewing their own gas.

Ps: Ive moded my Esteem head to run at 12:1 this with ported heads gives me a 7 BHP gain over stock. Will wait till we get 97 octane before taking it any higher.

chinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2004, 01:12   #36
Senior - BHPian

Ok here's what i found. Click on this link and go to the bottom of the page.

There, you'll find a compression ratio and fuel octane chart. this should help you decide better.

http://www.klotzlube.com/support/tec...ion/ratio.html

Regards...
Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2004, 12:33   #37
Senior - BHPian

guys,
i havefinally found toluene in mumbai.u can get it from any lab chemicals shop in mumbai .i got it from lohaar chawl ,princess street.
but its quite expensive as the sulphur free one cost me 80rs per 500ml bottle.so thats 160rs per liter.anyways i bought 3liters and put in my full tank of power 93 of 36litres.cud not make out any large difference.
BUT ITS HIGHLY CARCINOGENIC,THAT IS INHALING IT FOR LONG DURATION CAN CAUSE CANCER,THAT IS WHAT THE CHEMIST TOLD ME.
SO GUYS BE CAREFUL.

satya
Old 24th May 2004, 15:39   #38
Senior - BHPian

Hi Satya,
You had about 2 points increased in the octane number about 95 octane. Which car did you try it on?. Did you try increasing ignition timing about 1 to 2 degrees?. If its one of the newer generation cars like accord mondeo etc... go to the dealer and ask them to connect the OBD and interface and increase the octane type in the ecm. This will make a difference.

Cheers
Dom

PS: Actually toluene isnt carcinogenic and there is insufficient data supporting it. Your chemist has got you confused with benzene which is highly carcinogenic.
Domnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2004, 23:37   #39
Senior - BHPian

hehe tats wat the chemist told me.
i tried it on my mpfi zen.
so pls tell me what shud be done .
wat shud i do to the timing,and wat abt the ecm

satya
Old 25th May 2004, 09:42   #40
BHPian

WIll this cause any damage to the engine ? as these engines are not basically designed for this type of fuel. Wherein racing cars are very much modified to take this fuel !!!
toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2004, 09:42   #41
BHPian

Even the manufactures dont recomend such additives or special fuels ( speed !) ETC
toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2004, 13:26   #42
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (chinoy @ May 21 2004,22:30)]We have done Dyno tests with all the fuels sold in India. On stock cars and bikes. In most cases lower octane provided more power (remember lower octane fuels burn faster).
I can't agree, with the lower the better, Its more like the closer the better (the closer its to the rating car is tuned to run at).

On a stock car with no adjustments too high might play a -ve role, but low would do more damage by knocking.

So its better to be on a bit higher side than lower.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2004, 01:12   #43

is it necessary to mix toluene with already a high octane fuel?? i mean what octane is a speed petrol??

can toluene be mixed directly with a normal unleaded petrol???

amit
shahmotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2004, 00:55   #44
Team-BHP Support

Hi Amit,

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]is it necessary to mix toluene with already a high octane fuel?? i mean what octane is a speed petrol??
It is not neccessary to mix toluene with high octane fuel unless you want an even higher octane mix (which is unlikely).
If i am not mistaken regular speed is 86-87 octane and speed 93 is 93 octane! (Ratings are RON if im not mistaken)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]can toluene be mixed directly with a normal unleaded petrol???
Yup. (isnt that what the whole thread is about or have misunderstood your question?

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2005, 23:35   #45
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
... If i am not mistaken regular speed is 86-87 octane and speed 93 is 93 octane!
I was told that Speed (regular) was 90 Octane & 93 was 93 (duh)! :WTF:
elf is offline   Reply With Quote