Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th February 2007, 16:50   #1
BHPian

Default Indica Turbo --Screeching sound while starting??

Hi,
I have an Indica Turbo since 2006 Jan.Off late i have observed twice or more,while starting the car a screeching sound comes for a minute and then disappears.No problems with the car or the drive.
Anybody else had had this problem?.Is the Indica Turbo a good vehicle in the long run?. Another question i have is can i leave the car unused for a long period(> 6 months).The last time i left it unused,the battery went dead.
werfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2007, 17:20   #2
Team-BHP Support

The alternator belt is slipping.
If you go to service center they will say its not.
so do what I did.
Record the sound on your cell phone and play it very close to service advisor's ear at full volume, that convinces them that it really screeches.

As for long periods, use search thread function, there is an entire thread about long term storage.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2007, 16:04   #3
BHPian

Hi,

Ditto with my Swift. However, during one emergency service (Battery Dead), the service guys from Pratham noted this, and they changed the alternator postion(which by design can be moved by adjusting a nut), from then onwards, I have yet to hear the Screeching sound while starting.

Hope this info will help you.

regards,
-manju
manjubp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2007, 18:09   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by werfish View Post
Hi,
I have an Indica Turbo since 2006 Jan.Off late i have observed twice or more,while starting the car a screeching sound comes for a minute and then disappears.No problems with the car or the drive.
Anybody else had had this problem?.Is the Indica Turbo a good vehicle in the long run?. Another question i have is can i leave the car unused for a long period(> 6 months).The last time i left it unused,the battery went dead.
Did you or nyone grease the belt by any chance? if yes than try washing it with mild soap and warm water and let it run for a while and ensure that no lubricant ever is used on the belt.
pujaari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2007, 18:42   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pujaari View Post
Did you or nyone grease the belt by any chance? if yes than try washing it with mild soap and warm water and let it run for a while and ensure that no lubricant ever is used on the belt.
No.I havent done any greasing on it.Could it have been done by a Rat?.I have lots of Rats around the car at night.
Old 1st March 2007, 00:51   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by werfish View Post
No.I havent done any greasing on it.Could it have been done by a Rat?.I have lots of Rats around the car at night.
Oh my god... I just now read another gobbledygook about rats moving the alternator belt of a new skoda! Please... rats may gnaw at things but they do not do weight lifting and stuff.

werfish... its ok. A regular with many cars... this particularly happens on wintery mornings but otherwise also... once the car warms up it vanishes. When you take it for the first service tell them the problem. They will tighten the belt and the sound will vanish. It happened initially with my car as well but once it was tightened the problem vanished. Its no big deal.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 15:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

I had this issue for a while. What my brother did was poured little water on the belt for a few days and it disappeared. The belt might have expanded due to the heat. Not sure if this will work for you.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2007, 22:29   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I had this issue for a while. What my brother did was poured little water on the belt for a few days and it disappeared. The belt might have expanded due to the heat. Not sure if this will work for you.
How do i locate this belt?
Old 4th March 2007, 14:18   #9
Team-BHP Support

Open the bonnet, stand in front of right headlight, and look down. You will see two pulleys and a belt. Its right next to a the timing belt which is covered and cannot be seen.
If you lean down on the right side of the vehicle then also you can see the pully. Its pretty visible.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote