Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 6th March 2007, 23:32   #16
BHPian

Hello vikram_d. That's really awesome. You're a lucky owner of one of the perfect Swift's on the road I guess. And that mileage is really way excellent for driving at that kind of rpm. Miracles happen perhaps. I have something to say. Perhaps in the Swift, the optimal operating rpm range is between 3,000 - 4,000. Most cars return perfect mileage on the highways when drove in their optimal rpm range. Like for example, in my Ikon, the optimal rpm range is 3-3,500. If I cruise it in that range, I get the best mileage. If I cruise it less or more, I lose mileage, thats what I feel upon observations.

-Absar

Last edited by Absar : 6th March 2007 at 23:37.
Absar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 06:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

I agree with you Absar. This is the only logical explanation, after having ruled out all other possibilities.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 09:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hi vikram_d, what about wind resistance? Its possible that your were driving against wind one way and with it the other way.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 11:47   #19
BHPian

No wonder Vikram that your Swift is giving you good FE. Even my Swift Lxi(4018 KM) is giving me 18.4 KMPL on highways with AC @ first speed.

Even in city like Pune, it is giving me average of around 16+.

I am still puzzled to see these figures.. .

Please note that I have followed exact procedure to calculate these figures and used same petrol pump and timing..

I am 110% sure that diffrent petrol pumps makes diffrence. The one where I now fill regularly is famous for 'unadultrated petrol'.

The day I fill at other pumps, I can spot the diffrence in pickup (especially when AC is on), engine noise

I overwhelmed by my Swift's performance and engine smootheness and can happily ignore some minor noises from backseat....
abhaybakshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 14:06   #20
Senior - BHPian

Well i have ruled out adulterated petrol as the bunk i use is company owned and i always use that bunk. Moreover even on the rare occasion that i use another bunk then i can make out the difference. My bunk's fuel always gives me maximum mileage when compared to other bunks.
Old 30th March 2007, 22:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

Please change your bunk & see next time. We can easily get lured by company owned, company operated fundas. There is adulteration if the manager & staff are corrupt.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2007, 23:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

Tried that already. Mileage worse than before.
Old 31st March 2007, 00:27   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Tried that already. Mileage worse than before.
Tried changing your car?
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2007, 01:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

Mag do you really expect a reply to that?
Old 31st March 2007, 01:44   #25
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

the engine will give maximum efficiency when its driven at the rpm at which it produces the maximum torque.for eg:if the swift produces the max torque at 4500rpm,driving at that particular rpm will lead to maximum fuel efficiency.driving at any other rpm will lead to loss in mileage.thiscant be replicated in city driving due to constant changing gears as the rpm keeps varying when you shift up or shift down.
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2007, 02:15   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
for eg:if the swift produces the max torque at 4500rpm,driving at that particular rpm will lead to maximum fuel efficiency
I absolutely disagree to that..
It should be the lowest RPM possible in the tallest gear possible without the engine knocking to get the best mileage..
some cars make the max torque at 7500 RPM, now would that give a good mileage...?
why do you need maximum torque for getting mileage ? you just need to crawl along if you want max mileage..
you should keep your car near the max torque RPM range if you are on a track or something..where you dont care about your mileage but are looking for max torque to pull hard.

e.g ..my car makes max torque at 5500 RPM ,I get best mileage at 2400 to 2500 RPM which is nowhere near the RPM for producing max torque...

Last edited by chetanhanda : 31st March 2007 at 02:28.
chetanhanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2007, 14:57   #27
BHPian

17 kmpl is good for a swift.. U are damn lucky man.
spatafarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2007, 16:47   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post
It should be the lowest RPM possible in the tallest gear possible without the engine knocking to get the best mileage..
some cars make the max torque at 7500 RPM, now would that give a good mileage...?
why do you need maximum torque for getting mileage ? you just need to crawl along if you want max mileage..
you should keep your car near the max torque RPM range if you are on a track or something..where you dont care about your mileage but are looking for max torque to pull hard.
Exactly... Low revs in higher gear.....

Max torque band is great for drivability, but does not mean best mileage...

Last edited by rdkarthik : 1st April 2007 at 16:49.
rdkarthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2007, 12:12   #29
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post
I am 110% sure that diffrent petrol pumps makes diffrence. The one where I now fill regularly is famous for 'unadultrated petrol'.
Which is this Petrol Pump in Pune?

During the last long trip I did to Mahabaleshwar (2 adults, 1 child & 100% A/C) from Pune at speeds of 60-100, I had got a mileage of 19.43. I use the same petrol pump and the same dispensing unit every time. I also stop filling when the dispensing nozzle stops automatically.

But this is quite strange since speeds of 60-80kmph are considered the optimum speed for the best mileage. There is a tremendous increase in wind resistence after that - that's what I have read in several places.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2007, 11:40   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post

e.g ..my car makes max torque at 5500 RPM ,I get best mileage at 2400 to 2500 RPM which is nowhere near the RPM for producing max torque...
Aboslutely right. Gear changes at the lowest RPM without putting load on the engine ( read knocking) will produce the best mileage out of the car.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote