Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 22nd June 2010, 20:55   #16

Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
14.6v is a bit high. Normal charging voltage is 13.8 to 14.4v. Higher voltages cause the electrolyte to evaporate and higher still will cause the +ve plates to buckle/deform. If high voltages persist over a period of time battery damaged is assured.

You need to want to get the regulator/rectifier plus the battery checked. Also check the car circuits for any parasitic drain when the ignition is off.
I went to United Motors (Bosch Car Service), where the battery tester was used to test the battery, the result was "Starting Capacity 60%", "Replace Battery"!!

So bought a BOSCH Silver battery for my baleno there itself. They have checked the alternator voltage and with engine idling, headlights & AC on, the voltage was around 13.6, which only engine idling it was around 14.3v. Mr. Dhiren Mehta says, The alternator of Baleno is made my Denso, which has very less chances of failure. Even the Bosch Tester tool says "Voltage Regulator Good" !! So I guess it was a bad battery from Exide.
kri$hna is offline   Reply With Quote