Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 15th March 2007, 08:22   #1

Default ecu problems

hello,

can anyone please tell me where i can locate the ecu in my car? I have a tata indigo LS 2003 model diesel version. Recently my car's check engine light is glowing and the radiator fan starts running even during cold start. Tried replacing the thermostat and its of no use. Also the idle speed of the engine keeps varying. I was told by tata motors that the problems lies with the ecu. ECU is pretty costly. Also please let me know if anyone is repairing ecu's in Bangalore,Chennai Coimbatore. Thanx in advance
kinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2007, 23:06   #2
BHPian

Try resetting the ecu. you can do it by simply removing the one of the battery connectors and putting it back . See if it solves the problem. If the situation doesnt change then you can get your ecu flashed at the TATA service station. This shouldnt cost you much.
rishibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007, 23:55   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinu View Post
hello,
can anyone please tell me where i can locate the ecu in my car? I have a tata indigo LS 2003 model diesel version. Recently my car's check engine light is glowing and the radiator fan starts running even during cold start. Tried replacing the thermostat and its of no use.
check your sensors..IAT sensor,CT sensor etc. ask the dealership guys to check how much voltage these are providing ?

Quote:
Also the idle speed of the engine keeps varying. I was told by tata motors that the problems lies with the ecu. ECU is pretty costly. Also please let me know if anyone is repairing ecu's in Bangalore,Chennai Coimbatore. Thanx in advance
if the speed varies when the engine is cold then its not an issue..
but if it varies even when the engine is hot then there may be some reason to worry..

start with your sensors, dont blame the ECU straightaway..
could be something with your O2 sensor,Idle air control,CTS,PCV, EGR valve,EGR sensor..who knows even the Crank position sensor... could be anything..

just guessing , you should probably start verifying from there and eliminate these things 1st.. becoz if these are not behaving right then ECU will simply behave crazy based on these inputs..
imagine if you get a new ECU and the problem does not go away, then what ?
so first eleiminate these ..then only decide if the ECU is crazy

Last edited by chetanhanda : 17th March 2007 at 00:05.
chetanhanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2007, 00:15   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
Try resetting the ecu. you can do it by simply removing the one of the battery connectors and putting it back . See if it solves the problem. If the situation doesnt change then you can get your ecu flashed at the TATA service station. This shouldnt cost you much.
cmon dude relax... resetting ECU will not solve these problems...
reflashing ... ?
[1] do you know if the uneven idling is happening when the engine is cold or hot ? [2] fan comming on seems like a ECU issue or some sensor issue ? have u confirmed that everything else is fine ?

1st let kinu rule out the issue with any of the sensors, why are you so sure that ECU data needs to be reset or reflashed ?

1st let him check all the other factors ..may be go to a diferent dealerships and cross verify, get it verified by a Obd2 scantool that all signals are right then only come to a conclusion that ECU is screwed up.

who knows that Tata dealership is just trying to make a quick buck ?

Last edited by chetanhanda : 17th March 2007 at 00:17.
Old 17th March 2007, 13:18   #5

Quote:
hello,

can anyone please tell me where i can locate the ecu in my car? I have a tata indigo LS 2003 model diesel version. Recently my car's check engine light is glowing and the radiator fan starts running even during cold start. Tried replacing the thermostat and its of no use. Also the idle speed of the engine keeps varying. I was told by tata motors that the problems lies with the ecu. ECU is pretty costly. Also please let me know if anyone is repairing ecu's in Bangalore,Chennai Coimbatore. Thanx in advance
tata motors here simply checked with a different ecu, i dont think they checked the sensors. I am unable to locate the ecu to check it for myself in some other vehicle, can anyone tell where it is located?
Old 17th March 2007, 23:32   #6
BHPian

If they checked with the different ecu and the things were fine then sensors should be behaving fine. Even if you locate the ECU I dont think its a good idea to fiddle around with it on your own unless you actuallly know what you are really dealing with
rishibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2007, 07:10   #7

located the ecu and removed it. Now carefully going through the circuitry. It is simple compared to other complicated models. Will update once i get it ready. Probably it will be helpful for others who can repair the ecu before replacing it.
Old 23rd March 2007, 18:07   #8
BHPian

Quote:
located the ecu and removed it. Now carefully going through the circuitry. It is simple compared to other complicated models.

either you arent sure what's in your hands or you are a genious.

either way,... all the best.

a good idea would be to do a scan. i think at your DIY levels, you can manage that one your self. yeah?
gbpscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2007, 02:18   #9
BHPian

Quote:
located the ecu and removed it. Now carefully going through the circuitry. It is simple compared to other complicated models. Will update once i get it ready. Probably it will be helpful for others who can repair the ecu before replacing it.

ok.. now you are the man !!
you must be good with ECU's dude ...
I found ECU's to be pretty complicated, if you can scan your ECU and compare the circuitry and then repair it at by yourself ..you have some real skills, you should be working for Motec or something
Old 24th October 2007, 21:29   #10
BHPian

I'm not sure if this is related, but in my 2005 TDi Marina, the "check engine" light glows when I turn the ignition key to the IGN position ie just before crank. The thing is it remains on so long as I dont start the engine, but goes off soon as the engine starts. What does the "check engine" mean in this case?
I'm new to to Marina as I've been driving another car.
wizardofid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 01:03   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofid View Post
I'm not sure if this is related, but in my 2005 TDi Marina, the "check engine" light glows when I turn the ignition key to the IGN position ie just before crank. The thing is it remains on so long as I dont start the engine, but goes off soon as the engine starts. What does the "check engine" mean in this case?
Don't worry about that. Its suppossed to be that way.
rohan_fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 01:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofid View Post
Relax.This is the case with every other car. The light comes on for a few seconds and then goes off. There is absolutely nothing to worry about. This is only to indicate that the check engine light is working fine. You should ideally be concerned only if the light was on continuously even after starting the engine.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 18:54   #13
BHPian

First, try resetting the ecu by removing and reattaching the battery terminal. Else, take the car to the tata dealer and get the problem fixed profesionally.
adheesh is offline   Reply With Quote