Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 15th March 2007, 14:34   #1
BHPian

Default Engine mount in Honda civic D16Y8- EJ8 2dr

Guyz, some suggestions plz..
What additional symptoms I should be looking for which will confirm the engine mounts need to be replaced ..apart from
(a)the clunking sound which comes when I brake hard from somewhere in the engine bay..
(b)earlier I also observed from below while the car was raised on a service ramp.. the engine seems to move backwards slightly when it is revved.

Im going to the garage tommorow.. but would be nice to have done some homework and armed with your suggestions...
chetanhanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2007, 14:41   #2
BHPian

The clunking sound could be from your front suspension too. Have you eliminated that possibility? Can't provide a direct reply to your query as I don't have any knowledge of the Civic.
Bomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2007, 16:34   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post
(b)earlier I also observed from below while the car was raised on a service ramp.. the engine seems to move backwards slightly when it is revved.
I would consider that normal.
Pankaj401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007, 23:29   #4

you might notice shudders from the engine at specific RPMs..this happened on my OHC due to faulty engine mounts...
gsubash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2007, 00:29   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsubash View Post
you might notice shudders from the engine at specific RPMs..this happened on my OHC due to faulty engine mounts...
hmmm, how were the vibrations at idle ?
did you get all the four changed ?
Old 29th March 2007, 21:56   #6
BHPian

turned out the mounts were ok..
still dont know where the sound is coming from...
Old 30th March 2007, 02:17   #7
BHPian

Can u elaborate more & describe in detail on your problem, the clunking sound comes only during hard braking? or does it also comes during hard acceleration, also can you check when your car is standstill take your steering full right & release clutch slowly to check on vibrations or any type of noise.
Ford Rocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2007, 02:29   #8
BHPian

Also check for ware on the front anti roll bar / stabiliser bar bushes and brackets.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2007, 02:19   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post
Can u elaborate more & describe in detail on your problem, the clunking sound comes only during hard braking? or does it also comes during hard acceleration, also can you check when your car is standstill take your steering full right & release clutch slowly to check on vibrations or any type of noise.
Thanks !
Ok, let me describe the sound again..
its more like a click or a knock something like "tak" !
it doesn't come only during hard braking, it comes even during mild braking or slowing down.. and never during accelaration..

I checked the sterring wheel from lock to lock, sterring is fine as I got he whole thing flushed along with a new kit..

my garage says it may be the front shocks as the sound was not loud enough to be an engine mount...
Old 31st March 2007, 02:24   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Also check for ware on the front anti roll bar / stabiliser bar bushes and brackets.
Thanks for the reply Sideways...
Ok , need to look at those for the front..
..the rear traling arm bushes need to be replaced so maybe the front suspension also need to be looked at.
Old 15th April 2007, 21:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Don't know if you got your problem fixed, but if not, you can get your CV joints checked. i used to have that problem in my accord... usually happened when i turned the car one way.
got the cv joints replaced... noise went away.
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2007, 22:51   #12
BHPian

Do you get that sound while only braking on a straight? Does it come from a particular side of the car?

Basically, like one of the others were suggesting you, I was thinking if it was your front suspension. Turn your steering wheel to one side and go fast in a circle, brake suddenly, you should hear this juddering sound from the outside steered wheel. Check for the other side too. Might be the suspension.
i dont want to unneccessarily elongate this message, but if there is a tak sound like you would like to call it , there could also be some other mounting that has gone loose, that causes components to clash together on braking.
Sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote