Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th March 2007, 12:26   #1
BHPian

Default SOS!! Autocop mechanical Gear Lock Failure

Late last night (after returning from having watched about 10 middle overs of the Indian batting so you can imagine what my mental state would have been) I was parking my dad's Honda city.. he has a gear lock.. the slide in screw type. What I wasn't aware of was that it needs to be done only in the reverse gear position - I did it in first .
In the morning my dad woke up to find the stick totally lose in its socket. We are unable to disengage the gear. Any idea what the issue might be? We called Honda service and they said they have in turn informed the Autocop chaps.

Pls help!
MC Mayank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2007, 12:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

the honda city has a plastic assebly for the gear shifting....i hope it does not have got damaged in this incident.....
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2007, 13:37   #3
BHPian

any thoughts on warranty of these things?
Old 24th March 2007, 17:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

I dont think so.......but you can blame the autocop guy for this mistake as it might happen due to wrong instalation....
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2007, 10:06   #5
BHPian

If it was a screw type pin, you must be driving an OHC, as I recall That Pin type gear lock were for older cars and all the new ones have U Pin which click on in Second, Fourth or Reverse..!

Get the system checked, I don't think warranty will be applicable just incase this is an OHC or if it was an after market installation..!
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2007, 13:16   #6
BHPian

Ok the honda folks sent the autocop chap.. my dad had it installed in the showroom only.. and it is an oct 2007 model.. so the autocop chap first felt the loose stick and said its not his problem. Then he opened the cover assembly and showed me why. The gear stick actuation mechanism is sort of a ball and socket joint with the socket being of plastic. The ball had come out of the plastic socket.He did some give and take and put the ball back in the socket. But this sort of failure worries me to an extent. What probably happened was that I might have struggled with the stick a bit while engaging the lock pin and the ball came out of its socket.

Shouldn't they be having more of a fail safe sort of a device? Or am I looking at a failure which is more to do with soom poor quality in the gear stick engagement mechanism. Coz this sort of thing can happen any time and has me worried a bit!
Old 25th March 2007, 22:18   #7
BHPian

Hmm, What did the Honda say, They must have some explanation, Yaar Gear Shifts are pretty strong and cannot slip that easy..!

BTW I wonder how come you have the Pin type Gear Lock..! All new cars get the U type Ones..!
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2007, 23:14   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mayank View Post
What probably happened was that I might have struggled with the stick a bit while engaging the lock pin and the ball came out of its socket.
Mayank I think you really struggled hard to get the ball out of the socket . I am still wondering why a plastic socket. Even though the autoCop guy put the socket back you should get it checked with the Honda guys as the socket might have gotten loose after so much wresting and something like this can happen again.
rishibravo is offline   Reply With Quote