Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th March 2007, 16:02   #1
Default Engine misses around 40-50 km/h in Matiz

hi guys
When the car is revving around 40-50 km/h and you shift gears, the engine seems to miss. At times, It's like the exhaust is pushing the air out but the car doesn't move forward. A local mechanic said tht the cylinder needs to be checked? Any idea on what is he reffering to and how much work could be involved? Would he need to dismantle the whole engine and break the seals and stuff?
zzzehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2007, 09:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

It could be due to several factors, icluding overload in the electrical system. How many kilometers has your Matiz run? If it is over 1,00,000 kms, there is a possibility of a engine problem - I have had this sort of problem, this happened only when the engine was due for overhaul. I was told that because of the wearing off, the gap between the cyclinder wall and pistons traps the burnt gases leading to disruption in the firing cycle. But, unless you have run alot, I would refrain from opening up the engine. I would check all the other aspects - electricals, distributor, HT wires (this is a possibility, especially if you have been facing a power loss), even fuel filters - before opening even the tappet covers. Another stronbg suspect is the fuel pump (the most unreliable part of the Matiz). Try running teh car with another pump and see if the problem recurs.

I would suggest that you simulate the problematic driving condition by checking out each of these systems (fuel pump, etc) by using a good part before you start changing any one.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2007, 17:38   #3

Try cleaning your air filter. If it very dirty / clogged better would be to replace it. Many times the engine misses because of clogged air filter.
SCH is offline   Reply With Quote