Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 9th May 2010, 17:33   #16
Senior - BHPian

Well, let me share some of my experience here & I could learn from others if there're any mistakes that I do

When I learned driving from a very good teacher, he told me that when shifting down the gears one must always follow the order of top-down approach just like when we up shift from bottom-top approach. But I couldn't understand this concept until a year or so back.

I started practicing a shift up when my RPM crosses 2K mark & shifting down when it falls below. But in course of time, I found the sluggish pull & little more rev to be reliable source than watching the RPM meter. So when I brake from 5, depending on the traffic, I can easily judge if I need to shift down to 4 or 3. So depending on how much I slow down, say, I shift from 5-Neutral-3, provided I feel that pulling on 4 will be sluggish. So, IMO, its better to skip a gear rather than leaving the vehicle to pull sluggish or over rev.

Quote:
as far as the engine rev s can be matched to the upshifting gear i dont see harm in it. It should nt knock or feel underpowered as you upshift
Exactly my point too

Last edited by aargee : 9th May 2010 at 17:34.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2010, 19:28   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Well, i was told one needs to be in the 2nd gear when we encounter a bumper. So if we are in the 4th or 5th gear, how do we go about the gear changes on approaching one ?
What you were told is right.

This was precisely my doubt when started learning to drive.

What I do if I am at 4th or 5th gear is; switch to neutral, then slow down (by braking) to make a comfortable approach to the speed breaker (depending on the size of the hump), shift to 2nd gear (with clutch still pressed), when the front wheel climbs the speed breaker (ideally this should happen due to momentum if you have not slowed down a lot), slowly release clutch and accelerate.
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 00:27   #18
BHPian

Thanks a lot for your reply guys, it was very helpful. Also, could some one emphasize on the best approach to start the car on a slope without stalling or slipping backwards.
karty_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 08:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your reply guys, it was very helpful. Also, could some one emphasize on the best approach to start the car on a slope without stalling or slipping backwards.
Slope or straights, this is the practice I've been following.

1. Turn ON the ignition & start the car
2. Engage the clutch & apply first gear
3. Slightly disengage & hold the clutch so that the car tries to move but cannot due to the hand brakes. Basically you'll notice a forward movement in the car
3. Now with the same clutch position, release the hand brakes completely so that the car starts moving
4. Release the clutch completely & start driving as usual, while enjoying the drive

Note - Step 0 is to adjust the RVMs, seat belts & adjusting the seat position & ensure that hand brakes are engaged

Last edited by aargee : 10th May 2010 at 08:24.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 14:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

I remember driving the Zen-D using gears 1-3-5.

While down shifting, you have to skip gears under many circumstances. 5-3 or 5-2 etc.
While up-shifting, you can skip gears but it is not really required to do so. eg. 3-5

Learn to work with the gears fast and none of these will seem like an issue.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 14:38   #21
BHPian

Gear skipping is a bad idea totally !
Because, if it was required / preferred -
Manufacturers would have given 3 gears itself :
1) Front (Low speed)
2) Front (High speed)
3) Reverse.

Please note :-

1) The gear / mesh technology is designed for the best use. (Each gear for specific speed range)
2) Right gear @ right speed gives less wear & tear / damage
3) Skipping gear (Only like 1-3 or 3-5) means u r putting more pressure on gear (threads / mechanism)
4) So, You tend to get lesser mileage on a long term and probs with gear box
5) Best example :- IF you notice - even the fastest cars (F1) have gears and the drivers don't skip the gears. ;-)

IF you dont like changing gears, shift to auto gear cars.
I would advice not to practice skip-gear method.

Though, you may have a different opinion.
neo45007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 14:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

I have not tried skipping gears while up shifting, but I do it while downshifting, that too only from 5th to 3rd when the speed has reduced considerably that it would be apt to slot it in 3rd rather than 4th.
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 15:33   #23
Senior - BHPian

I skip the 4th gear when roads are clear
3rd to 5th
If engine,is not lugging,i dont think,there is gonna be any negative affect.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 15:47   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
I have not tried skipping gears while up shifting, but I do it while downshifting, that too only from 5th to 3rd when the speed has reduced considerably that it would be apt to slot it in 3rd rather than 4th.
+1. I do that regularly. When I am slowing down for a bump, I let the car roll (release accelerator) in 5th gear, then break just before the bump and slot into 2nd gear (and then 1st gear if required). If I am slowing down for a signal, I typically follow 5-3-2 instead of 5-2.
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 12:15   #25
BHPian

Even I do 3->5 on highways.

In, city 1->2->4 (its Zen and can take 35kmph in 4th very easily)

However during downshifting, I don't care, swift from any gear to any gear req.

Also, it shouldn't be a problem too, as now all gears are syncro-mesh and needs no 5->4->3->2->1
devrajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 17:40   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
+1. I do that regularly. When I am slowing down for a bump, I let the car roll (release accelerator) in 5th gear, then break just before the bump and slot into 2nd gear
Once the accelerator is released , do you depress the clutch until your speed drops down ? I am doing just that, like shift to 2nd and depress both clutch and break.Once the speed drops to around 20 i release both the pedals and accelerate.
Old 21st May 2010, 18:59   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Once the accelerator is released , do you depress the clutch until your speed drops down ? I am doing just that, like shift to 2nd and depress both clutch and break.Once the speed drops to around 20 i release both the pedals and accelerate.
NO. You are riding the clutch. You shouldn't be doing that. Clutch should be used only when you are changing gears. Keep your foot away from that pedal rest of the time.
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 22:23   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
NO. You are riding the clutch.
Isn't riding clutch when both accelerator and clutch are depressed simultaneously ? In my case i am depressing only the clutch and braking. If i don't do it this way and just brake my car is knocking.
Old 22nd May 2010, 01:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Slope or straights, this is the practice I've been following.

1. Turn ON the ignition & start the car
2. Engage the clutch & apply first gear
3. Slightly disengage & hold the clutch so that the car tries to move but cannot due to the hand brakes. Basically you'll notice a forward movement in the car
3. Now with the same clutch position, release the hand brakes completely so that the car starts moving
4. Release the clutch completely & start driving as usual, while enjoying the drive

Note - Step 0 is to adjust the RVMs, seat belts & adjusting the seat position & ensure that hand brakes are engaged
what if you have a car that has a weak handbrake.??

You can definitely skip gears, many times i have gone 2nd to fourth. fourth to 2nd. 1st to third with ease. i never skip a gear to go to overdrive though.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 18:13   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
what if you have a car that has a weak handbrake.??
if your car has a weak handbrake then
1)start the engine
2)press the brakes
3)engage 1st gear and depress half clutch
4)remove your foot from the brake and quickly press the accelator pedal, the car will not go backwards due to half engaging of the gear.
you should do this only if handbrake doesnot work or is weak as it can damage the clutch.

while upshifting gears one should prefer the sequence mainly for maintaining the momentum of pull you want to derive from the engine,anyways, there no harm skipping gears while upshifting or downshifting if you are able to get the engine rpms to falls within the useable rev band of your car/engine even after skipping a gear or two, it shouldnt be a problem for your engine.
hemen is online now   Reply With Quote