Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2007, 18:09   #1
BHPian
 
nura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 585
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Santro gear shifts suddenly into neutral

Right from the time I bought my Santro in 2002, it has had a peculiar problem. If I am driving above 35 kmph or so and the car gets into a pothole or onto a rough stretch of road suddenly, it protests by slipping into neutral gear. As I am a rather cautious driver, this happens perhaps once every 3-4 months, so it doesn't really bother me much. I would, however, like to know why this is happening. Can I request TBHP gurus to throw some light on the matter?
nura is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 19:59   #2
BHPian
 
Pankaj401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore, India
Posts: 216
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Does it happen in a particular gear or all of them?
Pankaj401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 20:33   #3
Team-BHP Support
 
theMAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,036
Thanked: 1,469 Times
Default

Your gear linkages are weak or your gear teeth are worn. Get HASS to look at your gearbox.

Last edited by theMAG : 27th March 2007 at 20:35.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 21:21   #4
BANNED
 
viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,769
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Hi,

Sounds like a problem with the synchroniser rings of the car. Please go the service centre and ask them to look into it. You are looking at a minimu expense of 1.5-2.5k for gearbox opening& refitting + cost of parts if any involved. Also count minimum 1 whole day for the same at the least.

Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
Right from the time I bought my Santro in 2002, it has had a peculiar problem. If I am driving above 35 kmph or so and the car gets into a pothole or onto a rough stretch of road suddenly, it protests by slipping into neutral gear. As I am a rather cautious driver, this happens perhaps once every 3-4 months, so it doesn't really bother me much. I would, however, like to know why this is happening. Can I request TBHP gurus to throw some light on the matter?
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 21:40   #5
rks
BANNED
 
rks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: ??
Posts: 1,237
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

The same thing has happened to me a couple of times over the last 2 years. The car slips from fifth to neutral upon hitting a really rough patch or a huge pothole at some speed. When the car is in fifth I can see the gear shift lever really vibrating upon hitting bad roads at a reasonable speed. I don't plan to anything about it for the time being, until the problem becomes more frequent. The solution is to drive carefully so that one doesn't hit potholes or bad stretches at high speed.

Last edited by rks : 27th March 2007 at 21:42.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 22:53   #6
BHPian
 
nura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 585
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj401 View Post
Does it happen in a particular gear or all of them?
I was asked this question in 2002 at HASS. I didn't know the answer then and unfortunately I don't know the answer now. Short of driving repeatedly into a pothole in different gears, how do I find out?
nura is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 22:58   #7
BHPian
 
nura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 585
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Your gear linkages are weak or your gear teeth are worn. Get HASS to look at your gearbox.
Can they deliver a new vehicle with weak linkages and worn teeth? The problem has been there since I bought the new car in 2002. And it hasn't really got any worse in the 4.5 years since.
nura is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 23:14   #8
BHPian
 
nura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 585
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
The same thing has happened to me a couple of times over the last 2 years. The car slips from fifth to neutral upon hitting a really rough patch or a huge pothole at some speed. When the car is in fifth I can see the gear shift lever really vibrating upon hitting bad roads at a reasonable speed. I don't plan to anything about it for the time being, until the problem becomes more frequent. The solution is to drive carefully so that one doesn't hit potholes or bad stretches at high speed.
Thanks everyone for the valuable advice. Could there be a fault outside the gear-box? I would tend to agree with rks that the problem occurs so infrequently that one doesn't feel like getting the gear-box dismantled for investigation.
I have a feeling the problem occurs in 3rd and/ or 4th gears. Does that give any clues?
nura is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 23:49   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Posts: 61
Thanked: Once
Post

I too have witnessed the same thing with my Santro, very infrequently though ... I thought that this is not a problem but some inbuilt feature in the car
dj_2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 00:12   #10
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,638 Times
Default

Were you in the habit of shifting your car into neutral from gear without using the clutch. I have seen this done in some cases, esp when car is parked in gear and switched off. So you just hit the shift and it comes into neutral. People who do this face this problem in the later years of the g'box

Other reason for this problem is hard shifting. If you kind of yank your gears hard.

So take your car to HASS and ask them to check the shift fork.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 11:47   #11
BHPian
 
nkapoor777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 583
Thanked: 87 Times
Default

Well i have the same issue with my 2004 Wagon R LXi. But that might be attributed to a trip to the gruelling Raid de Himalaya 2006. Did get quite a few knocks on my sump and gearbox! I think I might be inclined to get my gearbox investigated after reading all this.
nkapoor777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 17:34   #12
BHPian
 
nura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 585
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Were you in the habit of shifting your car into neutral from gear without using the clutch. I have seen this done in some cases, esp when car is parked in gear and switched off. So you just hit the shift and it comes into neutral. People who do this face this problem in the later years of the g'box

Other reason for this problem is hard shifting. If you kind of yank your gears hard.

So take your car to HASS and ask them to check the shift fork.
I really don' have this habit of shifting from gear to neutral without using the clutch before starting the car. But I do press the clutch when turning the ignition key because I had read somewhere a long time ago that this is good for the starter assembly.
I am quite gentlemanly with the gear shifting too.
Thanks for your suggestion to get the shift fork examined. Does this involve opening up the gear box? If not, I am surely game for it.
nura is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 18:44   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

This is a known problem in Santro's, my '99 Santro was plagued with this problem from day one. Despite complaining about it to HASS they never actually had a sure-shot solution for it. IIRC they did change some springs in the gearbox/gear shift mechanism 3-4 times but to no effect. In the end I learnt to live it since it used to happen once in a while.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 19:05   #14
Team-BHP Support
 
theMAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,036
Thanked: 1,469 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
Can they deliver a new vehicle with weak linkages and worn teeth? The problem has been there since I bought the new car in 2002. And it hasn't really got any worse in the 4.5 years since.
Judging from your's, rks' and iraghava's experience this seems to be a common enginering flaw with those models of Santro. And iraghava's added experience of HASS not being able to do anything abt it points to the direction this problem will go in your case as well.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 21:30   #15
BHPian
 
nura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 585
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Thanks iraghava and theMAG. I wasn't really keen to do too much about the problem. After reading your comments I will conclude that the Santro doesn't like to be driven rough-shod and even the Hyundai engineers can't do anything it.
nura is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switch off / Park in first gear or neutral? devnull Technical Stuff 49 18th December 2015 16:57
Scorpio MHawk-5th Gear Slips to Neutral akshay4587 Technical Stuff 15 16th December 2011 00:02
Indigo DICOR 3rd and 5th gears popping into Neutral automatically. wanderernomad Technical Stuff 3 8th April 2011 22:27
Gear slipping to neutral? - Wagon R johy Technical Stuff 32 25th March 2008 19:01
Re: Gear "jumping" to neutral??? johy Technical Stuff 9 9th November 2006 21:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks