Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd April 2007, 19:37   #1

Default Engine Stalling Problem

My Previous post was about Sun glare issue with Ford Ikon Dashboard. Thanks for suggestions on that - though I haven't yet arrived at some working solution....A different problem with the car this time

My Ford Ikon 1.6 Zxi Petrol is 12000km run. While slowing down and shifting from 5th/4th/3rd gear to 2nd gear (of course with clutch fully depressed), the engine stalls sometimes. It happens very randomly. When the engine stalls, clutch is still fully depressed. Have got the spark plugs cleaned twice and petrol filter cleaned, didn't fix it. The issue doesn't happen while going up-slope, happens with AC On or off - doesn't matter; doesn't happen during shifting gears UP, happens only during shifting gear down. Service guy says battery is OK and battery can't cause this problem; I'm using Bharat Petroleum Normal (no SPEED) petrol from same petrol pump for last 6 years. Any suggestions? Change petrol? But wondering my other car Santro has no issues with same petrol. Garage guy says ECM needs to be checked for electrical issues. Or fuel injection pipes need to be checked for blockage. If nothing helps, ENGINE inspection is needed. Haven't consulted Ford Dealer, since in Bangalore, their service is nothing less than pathetic. - RK
rkkoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2007, 19:57   #2
Team-BHP Support

Sounds like your fuel mixture is too lean or breather pipes from inlet manifold are leaking or idle sensor valve faulty.

A Bosch car service centre may assist

From your avatar, I believe you occasionally get chased by a madman in a bellowing black Honda Vtec or a blue blinged swift who works in the same company. That madman is me - I believe we share a common friend whose first name is the same as yours
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2007, 20:09   #3
Team-BHP Support

go with Ajmat's suggestion, looks like a vacuum leak or idle setting issue
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2007, 21:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkkoul View Post
The issue doesn't happen while going up-slope, happens with AC On or off - doesn't matter; doesn't happen during shifting gears UP, happens only during shifting gear down. Service guy says battery is OK and battery can't cause this problem;
looks like grounding problem of the tps/iat and the manifold, or tps needs cleaning.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2007, 21:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
looks like a vacuum leak or idle setting issue
Avaccum leak would immediately increase idle rpm.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2007, 21:26   #6
Team-BHP Support

i defer psych's, atleast i saw car shunt and switch off while fiddling around at ford shop
Old 6th April 2007, 19:21   #7

Default Ford IKon 1.6zxi engine stall problem

Update on Ford Ikon 1.6 Engine stall problem:

I got it fixed. This update may help somebody if he sees the same problem. After few visits to local garages I finally decided to contact Metro Ford, Bangalore. My friend recommended to email Metro Ford customer care. I did. Suprise, they actually responded by email and then on phone! No solution on phone, they asked me to visit their workshop next day. The reviews I read about Metro Ford were never good. So, I was cautious. I reached Metro Ford and asked for the guy whom I was supposed to get in touch with. This guy listened to my problem for 5 min. Next he sat in the driver seat and reached out for a plug just over clutch which he said was disconnected. He said it is a clutch sensor and it was disconnected. For a min, I thought this guy is crazy, because if the clutch sensor is disconnected, how was my car running all these days. And it was the 4th or 5th time I was showing it to the garage guy. Nobody else could find it out earlier? I had got spark plugs cleaned twice, fuel filter cleaned, vacuum leak checked. My next thing to do was to get ECM checked and this guy was telling me that clutch sensor was disconnected! Anyway, I had no option than to trust him. With a mixed and confused feeling, I left Metro Ford. That is the end of story. The issue hasn't happened again. Was it really so trivial a problem? I was ready to get ECM scanned and do anything Ford guy would have asked me to do, since it was very irrirating a problem and had to be fixed. Good job from Metro Ford! Interestingly the guy who fixed the issue was not a workshop engineer. He was the guy who attends to customers and makes the job card. More importantly, I didn't pay anything to Metro Ford - RK
rkkoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2007, 20:59   #8
Team-BHP Support

great to hear car problem is solved, and if you have read my review of metro ford, they are tricky that all but ok guys, and the guy whom you spoke to should be an service advisor/engineer, usually they are the ones who take the car in

clutch sensor this i didnt knew off, might be something to do with the engine rpm thingie with clutch activation, guessin

still doesn matter as long as she is purring..
Old 6th April 2007, 23:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

great...you must have been ready to pay a high amount..but it feels real good when the problem gets solved without your hand reaching the pocket..
danlalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 18:57   #10
BHPian

Searched a lot to get some topic like this. Thanks all..i have the same problem with my car and i will try that out tonight and see where it goes.

But one thing i have noticed is that this problem happens only when the engine is cold. Not on the way back home from office when the engine is quite heated up.

Any chance the problems can be same? or is it something different i should look in to?
sanju.sreekumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2012, 21:45   #11
BHPian

Default Re: Ford Ikon 1.6 ZXI Engine Stall Problem - need any expert comments?

Hi, can anyone help me how to differentiate between a 1.3 rocam and a 1.6 rocam engine? Any distinctive differences that can help me identify the engine at a scrap yard.
nc1bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2012, 22:25   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc1bad View Post
Hi, can anyone help me how to differentiate between a 1.3 rocam and a 1.6 rocam engine? Any distinctive differences that can help me identify the engine at a scrap yard.
Not much differences between both. I know that the idler pulley for 1.6 came in metal and 1.3 in plastic but i could be wrong. Also you can check if the barcode is on the side of the valve cover ( dipstick side) it is mentioned there as well). If you are able to open the head then i could give you the diameter of the bores for a 1.6l. I think the 1.3 should have a smaller sump as well.
Catalyst_delhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 21:15   #13
BHPian

I have a similar question as well, apart from the badging, how do I know for sure that someone is selling me an actual 1.6? Thanks
wantarangerover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 22:16   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
I have a similar question as well, apart from the badging, how do I know for sure that someone is selling me an actual 1.6? Thanks
The 1.6 and 1.3 mill is hard to distinguish. For sure 1.3 feels slow. I will cehck and let you know sunday. We are overhauling a 1.3 mill and I have a 1.6.
Catalyst_delhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 08:12   #15
BHPian

I have checked , the changes are only with the internals between the 1.3 and 1.6. Anyone who can help with some differences?
Catalyst_delhi is offline   Reply With Quote