Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 21st May 2017, 11:53   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fortuner Horn not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Haha!! Whatever gave you the impression that I'm still on the OEM? I've run through that a while ago and these are Hella Red Grills.
But no, it's doesn't seem to be the horn. The precise times it works and doesn't is dependent on the position of the steering wheel alone.
So you already have Hella onboard

If it IS the clock spring, then this is the part you need:

http://www.toyotapartsconnect.in/par...6FF9F59242BA48

You can check the compatibility chart right next to the red "Buy now" button. However, I would not consider this a user replaceable part mainly because of the air bag. Take the vehicle to a FNG or better still to a Toyota ASC.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 11:13   #47
Ice
BHPian

Default SOLVED : Fortuner Horn

So, I took it to Myles, the FNG on the Hennur Road. Mr. Mathews was very helpful and identified the problem as the Spiral Cable assembly. He scanned the ECU to ensure that the issue wasn't an indication of a larger problem, and then narrowed it down to this.

The cable cost me a pretty penny - nearly 15K to be exact. This, plus taxes, scanning charges, and his labour, took the bill to Rs.20k. But at least the issue's solved, and it's been done expeditiously.

Thanks to one and all here who advised me on the fix.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2017, 10:44   #48
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Intermittently Silent Horn

Had similar problems with the horn of my i10 yesterday.
I was in bumper to bumper traffic for over an hour, and the horn just refused to sound (only click click noises from the steering) almost at the end of the traffic jam.
Only when I hit the empty roads did the horn start making the right noises (!).
I have been noticing 'kit kit' noises from the steering while making lock to lock turns for the last few weeks.
Is this something due to the clock spring? Or the contact points? or something else?
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2017, 11:04   #49
BHPian

I too had a similar issue. In fact i even thought a flyover near my house to be haunted since in the initial days the issue surfaced only when I used to pass that certain flyover. The horns would start working a few 100 meters after crossing the flyover.

The issue turned out to a faulty horn. Replaced it and things are back to normal.
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 00:22   #50
BHPian

Default Re: Intermittently Silent Horn

Having a problem with the Nano horn. Sometimes it gives a deep low bass kind of sound. But it switches back to normal if I hit a particular spot - top right of the horn pad. ASS having tough time diagonosing since it behaves perfectly when they try out
kutts is offline   Reply With Quote