Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 15th April 2007, 12:40   #1
Question Direct Sunlight and car

My Swift is always parked in direct sunlight since I dont have covered parking. Colour is Silky Silver. My question is,

1. Does direct sunlight will affect the shine of the car ?
2. Will it cause damage to the paint layers ?
3. Since the colour is silver, I guess, fading of colour is not concern. Am I right ? (I guess it's bad for dark coloured cars)
abhaybakshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2007, 18:12   #2

Direct sunlight is harmful for the exterior, But there is no immediate impact-Its natural weathering that takes its toll.

But the Interior can suffer, Fading of dashboard and Fabrics..!

Try to park in the shade where possible...!
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2007, 18:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Don't think any damage will happen in say 4-5 years, I have had atleast 4 cars of this colour & have not seen any adverse effect, the painting technology is pretty good nowadays....however the interiors may fade after a while. One way is to cover the car up with the car-covers available, just be careful you don't scratch the paint though !!!! Double - whammy...eh

Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2007, 18:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Also if you park in shade, beware that bird droppings can also cause paint damage...covered parking is the best bet, but its not so easily available, my car is also parked in the sun for the beggining of the day, but in the afternoon the building shadow covers it, so the truck is protected from the worst of the heat.

drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2007, 04:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by drifter View Post
Also if you park in shade, beware that bird droppings can also cause paint damage
yup, when away from home, i prefer sunlight to bird and tree droppings, and snow chunks.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2007, 10:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Sunlight and natural elements will take a toll on your paint regardless of colour and teflon coating (although that may help). Since you cannot avoid sunlight (i presume your office does not covered parking), you can buy a cover and at least cover it during the weekend. Also sunlight also leads to fading of dashboard and interiors which no amount of dashboard polish can restore permanently. For that, you can perhaps buy sunshades which can perhaps reduce damage. These can be put on permanently on the back and sides, and on the front mirror when you are not driving.

Sunlight is not major an issue. If your car is getting painted because of dent, you get a new fresh coat. You can also go for machine polishing and rubbing every 6-8 months (in delhi, it costs around 1-1.5K). This restores some shine back for some time and keeps your car externally clean.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote