Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 28th April 2009, 16:41   #76
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I believe my truck was recently found to be running around with water in the diesel tank.

Service light came on (scary these days) and the vehicle ran on limp mode. Came back, removed the particulate filter and drained the tank. Everything back to normal.
Does the 3.0 not come with the water in sedimenter warning light?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 16:46   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Does the 3.0 not come with the water in sedimenter warning light?

Thanks for the correction - its sedimenter, not particulate filter.

No it doesnt - generic "Engine Check Light" turns on when you have bad fuel. I'm impressed by this sedimenter thing, though - it isolates the engine very well from bad fuel.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 16:50   #78
Senior - BHPian

i think the sedimenter is there for all DICOR engines, and does a good job of cleaning up bad fuel. only thing is , it has to be changed routinely, and costs 10 times as much as that of a regular diesel filter
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 17:02   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
i think the sedimenter is there for all DICOR engines, and does a good job of cleaning up bad fuel. only thing is , it has to be changed routinely, and costs 10 times as much as that of a regular diesel filter
The sedimenter comes with most diesel engines, atleast in the CV category even with DI engines about 5 years back.
All you got to do is remove the nut at the bottom and the water will flow out. And you are done.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 17:03   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
The sedimenter comes with most diesel engines, atleast in the CV category even with DI engines about 5 years back.
All you got to do is remove the nut at the bottom and the water will flow out. And you are done.
No this one is different. You have to unscrew the whole unit - it looks a bit like your regular oil filter.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 17:07   #81
Team-BHP Support

In the 2.2 all you have to do is remove the nut at the bottom, and water drains out. Tata recommends doing that if the sedimenter warning light comes on
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 17:14   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
In the 2.2 all you have to do is remove the nut at the bottom, and water drains out. Tata recommends doing that if the sedimenter warning light comes on
Thats the one I'm talking about. Just remove the drain plug and the water comes out. I know thats what the Purolator Filter does.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 22:31   #83
BHPian

I once pissed in my friends Kinetic Honda Tank after a beer session. The bike didn't start after repeated attempts. Next day a mechanic came cleaned the carb and the bike started. He didn't drain the tank because he didn't know what was in it. No serious engine problems. So I guess Diesel in a Petrol car or vice versa is not at all a problem.
pedrolourenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 23:03   #84
BHPian

a similar instance happened with a friend of mine. he had given his merc c class to his cousin as he had come to visit him. his cousin used the car for the whole day and he thought that he should top up the fuel beofre returning the car.

The gentleman took the car to the gas station and filled petrol in a diesel c classs. he drove it back to my friend's house which is like a good 20 km drive.

The next day, when my friend tried to start the car, it wud not start. he called up the merc people and the car was throughly checked but the damage was done. Parts to the tune of 6.7 lacs had to be replaced.

When he asked his cousin about the disaster, he simply smiled and said.. "car itni silent aur smooth thi ki meko laga petrol hi hogi"

hehe..
honda_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 23:15   #85
BHPian

Default Not vice versa

Diesel in a petrol tank will not cause much harm other than a smoking car and fouled spark plugs. Indian petrol cars are anyway used to adulteration with either Naptha, Turpentine, Kerosene or Diesel.

On the contrary if one were to put petrol in diesel car be ready to spend a packet if the car is driven for more than the fuel that is there in the filter and fuel lines.
drpullockaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 09:16   #86
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
No it doesnt - generic "Engine Check Light" turns on when you have bad fuel. I'm impressed by this sedimenter thing, though - it isolates the engine very well from bad fuel.
The 3.0 does come with the water in sedimenter light - the orange light at the bottom RHS of the instrument console. It normally vanishes very quickly after the ignition is switched on.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 10:54   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
Water in radiator , I thought Esteem required coolant. And any water that needed to added has to be distilled water. Are you talking about wiper washer tank?

I have had an instance of my well maintained Caliber stalling. When nothing worked, the mechanic opened the tank and drained at least 500 ml of water. I don't know where it got in from. Fuel adultration is what the mechanic told me. Scary it was.
Distilled water is required for battery and not radiator. Coolant is suggested always but water does work. However I was low on coolant and had to top it up. The only substitute if you dont have coolant handy is water.
tazmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 11:42   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
The only substitute if you dont have coolant handy is water.
LOL, Tazmaan, not really, if you go by post # 83 above!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 15:49   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
LOL, Tazmaan, not really, if you go by post # 83 above!
That is the best option after all.
pedrolourenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 18:34   #90
BHPian

Diesel mixed in petrol will not cause damage in the short run, the only damage will be increased carbon deposits on spark plugs and other engine components.Except that there wont be any issue.

Try to drain the fuel by removing the fuel supply feed lines to the MPFI , & manually activating the fuel pump. Dont crank the engine.
The fuel pump will be able to drain out the entire tank in few minutes. You may just restore the fuel supply to the MPFI unit & fill in fresh Gas. Well thatís it you are done.
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote