Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 23rd April 2007, 21:31   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Simply go to Surakshaa at Bomannahalli, ask for Lokesh... your problem will be solved...
If u want lokesh's number I can PM u...let me know?
Abhi
Hi Abhi, where exactly in Bomannahalli. Also do pm me the tel no.

Cheers
Ajay
ajayclicks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2007, 10:21   #17
BHPian

Take the Hosur road (Silk Board) flyover towards electronic city. Then make a U-turn and get onto the service road. Surakshaa Car Care center is a short distance ahead of the petrol pump.

I recently got a dent fixed in my swift's running board. Cost came to 1600/- Ask for Lokesh - he'll help you out.
ajitkommini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2007, 17:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

rajshenoy sorry to have hijacked your thread. Since the discussion is about get a dent fixed which involves getting the same painted I to have a query.
Hope you dont mind.
Folks am posting a pic of a scratch on my car too. Suggestions please for what is the best thing to be done and where with costs involved if possible.
My laziness and work hasnt allowed me to get this fixed as yet.

thanks in advance.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 24th April 2007 at 17:54.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 13:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

bump !!! Any thoughts or ideas gurus from Bangy??
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2007, 21:27   #20
BHPian

Default tinkering

Isn't it called tinkering ? they put lappa, heat the metal sheet and beat it form inside to get back to original shape and then paint it ?

Had got it done for a small nudge of 2.5k near hoskerehalli.
ownerofazkaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 17:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

Any idea about a good dentist.. oops.. workshop in Aundh, Pune? I have collected a laundry list of dents after bringing my car to Hyderabad (kisi ka nazar lagg gaya hei.. though most of the dents are due to my fault ).
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 18:06   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
My first service is due next week. so planning to get it done from dealers only..provided it wont be a rip off..
Hi Rajesh,
where did you get the dent removed? how much did it cost?
deepak_ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 18:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
bump !!! Any thoughts or ideas gurus from Bangy??
Take a small morning drive to Surakshha on Sat...Have a chat with Lokesh, He can advise u what is the best???
BTW, dont forget to mention that u r Abhijit;s friend and member of team-bhp...

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2007, 16:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

I dont have car now but seen very good job in very decent rates in JC road, give a try as after getting done my friends Santro we are not able to make it out where the dent was, and its was a big two by two feet dent, they are using imported du pont paints and paint shop keeper personally matches the shades.
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 10:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

Default Hard to repair dent on Santro-how to remove?

Friends
Two years ago, I suffered a dent on the front passenger side door of my Santro. This happened on a Friday evening on the crowded main street of Kalkaji. An auto-rickshaw overtaking me from the left side left it's mark, which I want to remove.

Let me start by describing the dent through a few pictures.
Dent on my swift-img_1916copy-copy.jpg
The dent is a little less than 12 inches long,on the passenger side door just above the running board

Dent on my swift-img_1917-copy.jpg
The white spot marks my failed attempt at pulling the dent out using an adhesive based dent puller

Dent on my swift-img_1918-copy.jpg
The dent starts about an inch from the door edge.

I have solicited three opinions so far on how to deal with this dent:
a) From Hyundai Motor Plaza, Mathura Road - they said they will not repair the dent , as it cannot be repaired. This is because in this area, the door has a double sheet of metal, therefore, the dent cannot be pushed out. According to them, the proper way is to replace the door.

b) From Rishabh Hyundai (now they have shut shop) - they said they would try heat to pop the dent.

c) From a local denter (near C. Lal Chowk) - he said he won't even try pulling the dent out, he will just put filler.

I am not convinced with any of these options. I feel there must be a way to pull this dent out. Perhaps if a small hole can be drilled into the door - where the dent is deepest (marked my the white spot in the picture, and then a slide hammer used to pull the dent out.
Name:  slidehammer.jpg
Views: 2343
Size:  7.7 KB
Following this, the hole can be plug welded, surfaced, and readied for paint.
I saw this technique used in a popular auto-mechanics TV show - Wheeler Dealers.

My questions are:
a) Is this technique feasible in this case?

b) Where can it be done in Delhi? - obviously not at the main dealers- because they do not like to be told how to do things...
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 10:34   #26
BHPian

Default Re: Hard to repair dent on Santro-how to remove?

Assuming there is no way to reach this part of he door (I would suggest removing the door panels to verify this), then the only way is to cut part of the second panel and then do the denting work. Obviously the smaller the hole the tougher it is, but it is technically feasible. However the joy is in finding someone to do that.

Am assuming that will be hard to do, so perhaps option 3 (filler) is the best temporary option till you can find someone willing to do that
pganapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 10:38   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Joybhowmik, though I am no expert on body repair, this damage in your car is too less to be actually called as a dent. It is more of a deep scratch. I have a similar one on the bonnet of my SX4, when a cyclist landed on my parked car. It is a one foot long deep scratch.

The MASS insisted that they fill the scratch and repaint it, for which I refused, like you. The tool you have shown is used for scratches that are a tad deeper. Check this video for a demonstration if you havent seen. This is usually used in my MASS:

However, I doubt that would work on a scratch as small as yours. Even I am planning to get a new bonnet and get it painted as I am not sure about a repainted bonnet looking good. Hence, I feel either you have to get it touched up using paint, or get it filled. Going for a new door will be expensive, and I dont think it is worth it for such a small scratch.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 12:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

Check this video for a demonstration if you havent seen. This is usually used in my MASS:

audioholic Thanks for the link. I believe this is somewhat similar to a flatliner dent repair system (http://www.betaginnovation.com/en/pr...flatliner.html ).

While this would be ideal for the job, I have not come across any Hyundai A.S.S. with this equipment. It would be extremely rare for a Friendly Neighbourhood Garage to carry something like this in their kit. Hence my reference to the hole & slidehammer method.

Does anybody know of any private garage in NCR with a flatliner or equivalent?

Last edited by joybhowmik : 17th February 2013 at 12:43.
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 13:41   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO, punching a hole to pull out a dent smaller than the hole itself is worthless. The hole itself will make more damage than what has happened here. All that is not required for such a small scratch. If I were you, I wouldn't mind such a scratch. Go to a paint shop and get a small amount of the paint matching your car. Take a thin paintbrush and fill yhe scratch and the white area. I bet it wont be seen from a distance.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 13:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

Short of hammering the scratched portion from inside, you will never get a smooth finish on the dented work, if at all. The hammering will affect a larger area around the dent, so you end up with a larger area to match.

This is where the filler comes in. You just fill up the scratch (which is less than a mm deep, sand it to smooth finish and paint it. The advantages are
. You do not cut the metal, hence no chances of the panel rusting
. The finish with filler/sanding is much better than plain denting (and even there they will be using a filler to smooth out the undulation caused while denting).
. It is a much cheaper option at the most Rs.500 compared to a couple of thousand for a dent/paint job.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote