Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 23rd April 2007, 15:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default Overheating Bolero

Hi folks, having a problem with my 02 Mahindra Bolero GLX run around 1 lakh 2K kms without a overhaul yet. The vehicle is serviced regularly since being bought and dosent have any problems other then the one that has creeped up now. I use the A/C often in the city(Bangalore) with heavy traffic. The engine overheats very quickly with the temperature gauge getting into the red section in 10-15 mins. But on an open road the temperature falls quickly and stays at manageable levels. I understand this could be due to the traffic conditions but this was not happening before. Last few days when it has been raining the water just evporates off the bonnet due to the heat. Not being able to take it to a garage.

I have checked the coolant and its fine. It would be possile due to the cooling fan not spinning up at low traffic speeds.

Any ideas what could be done. Without the AC it is fine.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2007, 15:51   #2
BHPian

it is indeed a cooling system failure, i assume cooloant leakage is not there as you mentioned.

Most probable cause is thermostat valve in cooling system, or clogged coolant galleries.

Since on open road there is enough draft of air coming due to sheer vehicle speed so you dont get problem.

1. Get your cooling system drained, cleaned & refilled.
2. Check/replace thermostat valve.
arunforu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2007, 16:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Arun. I was thinking on the same lines. Will do the above 2 and get back.

Thanks again.
Old 23rd April 2007, 22:12   #4
BHPian

Well I would first check the fan.

On an open road, air is hitting the radiator and cooling the fluids within and is maintaining the engine at manageable temperatures. When its stationary its not happening, which means probably the fan is not working.

If you had a blocked fluid line then there is a probablity that the engine would heat even at higher speeds. Of course, there is a possibility here that it does happen but the air draft compensates for it.

So I would say first check if the fan, you don't want to replace the fluids and find that its still happening ;-)!
Sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2007, 09:39   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I have checked the coolant and its fine. It would be possile due to the cooling fan not spinning up at low traffic speeds.

Any ideas what could be done. Without the AC it is fine.
@sparkie, as he mentioned fan not spinning up at low traffic speeds, i dont know if bolero uses a belt driven fan, or an electric one, but neverthe less it seems working fine.

also without a/c it is fine, most likely its thermostat valve, may be opening partially, by the way fan can be checked anyday simply by opening up the hood.

If fan is completely off, no high speed would provide sufficient draft, as whole engine unit is enclosed in bay & have only one openeing at radiator side.

But yes check the fan, also update me, if your vehicle uses belt driven or electric fan.
Old 24th April 2007, 10:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

you mentioned that your engine has done 1.2L km , check if it is consuming oil,these engines had a tendency of over heating at low speeds, when they need an overhaul. I had same problems with my commander 2.0 L engine , also get the radiator cleaned. I had modified my cooling system with an electric fan from an M800 car. It worked fine and kept the temp in check at low speeds and up hill drives.
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2007, 11:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys.

@arun: the fan is belt driven so yes its speed depends on the engine rpm. As you correctly said i suspect the thermostat valve too. Not getting time to go to a service station want to inspect it myself and not leave it at the service centre's mercy.

@sparkie: Fan working fine. Nno problems there. Checked the fluids again today morning topped up the radiator just in case.

Other point is the temperature starts falling immediately even in traffic once the AC is shut off.
Old 24th April 2007, 21:46   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunforu1 View Post
@sparkie, as he mentioned fan not spinning up at low traffic speeds, i dont know if bolero uses a belt driven fan, or an electric one, but neverthe less it seems working fine.

also without a/c it is fine, most likely its thermostat valve, may be opening partially, by the way fan can be checked anyday simply by opening up the hood.

If fan is completely off, no high speed would provide sufficient draft, as whole engine unit is enclosed in bay & have only one openeing at radiator side.

But yes check the fan, also update me, if your vehicle uses belt driven or electric fan.
arunforu1:
Good discussion!
Ya i know that the fan can be checked easily, which is why I advised checking that first before repalcing fluids.

Well I have a doubt here. From what i have understood from your post, it seems that the fan is not supposed to come on at low speeds. I don't think it works that way(if it is electrically operated and not belt driven i mean).
Second doubt, is the fan on all the time at higher speeds? From what he was saying about the problem not being there on an open road, I assumed that it would be top gear driving, which means engine speed to vehicle speed ratio is low. Would that not turn out to lesser heating required with a faster air draft coming in? If that would be a yes(only if), then with a non-working fan, that might still be decent cooling right. Or would you still feel that the inlet of air only from one direction is insufficient?

But ya, the above is based on the premise that we don't know as yet that his fan was running fine! Cheers.
Old 25th April 2007, 12:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the replies guys.

@Sparkie: I mentioned before in my post. The fan is fine. Did a visual check but that should be sufficient i guess. The fan is belt driven so is on alll the time. And what you say about open road driving is true too and i think the faster air draft helps in the cooling.

@dinar: Yes the engine needs a overhaul. It is consuming a bit more oil but is in control. Will get it overhauled once it is past the 1.2 L marks another 18K to go.
OT: where in Goa? I am from Panaji.

For now i am going to flush the coolant and replace. And see if it helps.

Thanks again guys.
Old 25th April 2007, 12:49   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
arunforu1:
Good discussion!
Ya i know that the fan can be checked easily, which is why I advised checking that first before repalcing fluids.

Well I have a doubt here. From what i have understood from your post, it seems that the fan is not supposed to come on at low speeds. I don't think it works that way(if it is electrically operated and not belt driven i mean).
Second doubt, is the fan on all the time at higher speeds? From what he was saying about the problem not being there on an open road, I assumed that it would be top gear driving, which means engine speed to vehicle speed ratio is low. Would that not turn out to lesser heating required with a faster air draft coming in? If that would be a yes(only if), then with a non-working fan, that might still be decent cooling right. Or would you still feel that the inlet of air only from one direction is insufficient?

But ya, the above is based on the premise that we don't know as yet that his fan was running fine! Cheers.

Yes sparkie he did mentioned fan not spinning up at low speeds, as far as i know mahindra uses a belt driven fan, so not spinning at low speeds is impossible. A belt driven fan will either spin or not spin at all. Thats why i asked if his vehicle has electric one, which may/maynot spin at given times.

1.I never said fan is not supposed to come on at low speeds, if it is electric fan, it cuts off at particular coolant temp(irrespective of vehicle speed), if its mech. it keeps spinning, so no doubt left here.

2.even cruising in top gear, with fan not working, engine would heat up, a mere forward draft is insufficient(as every thing enclosed & engine is not directly exposed to draft, its blocked by many component in front), as even at cruising speeds engine runs at fairly high rpms above idle. he is using a/c that means surrounding temp is fiarly high above ambient to enable forward draft alone to act as coolant.

In addition if a belt driven fan is not working(belt broken), coolant pump usually cannot work, as in most vehicles with belt driven fan, the coolant pump is coonected just after the fan, & is driven by same belt. So no coolant flowing+no fan=overheat.

But his fan is working fine as he mentioned.

Nice lines of thought sparkie, i wish brainstorming people like you could replace jugaad engineers in our indian auto industry.Thumbs up to you!
Old 25th April 2007, 22:10   #11
BHPian

Hey, ya well, brainstorming always helps. The moment one thinks that he/she is always saying the right stuff, they're minds are closed and there is no room for improvement. But discussion interspersed with constructive criticism always throws up different perspectives and hence probably more learning.
And I must give credit to Team-bhp, or rather the members that make it, for I already feel the discussions are more mature here, instead flaming every second thing posted! Cheers!
Old 5th May 2007, 14:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

@spitfire is ur problem solved, I am from Mapusa. u in goa or B'lore?
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 17:17   #13
Team-BHP Support

moving car will cool the engine alot, dont underestimate this factor. Personal experience of driving a 800 over 1k kms on highway with busted fan and minimal heating.

There are 2 possibilities, one there is some blockage in cooling system which gets compounded with additional ac heat
two: bangalore summer heat along with ac and an ailing engine and if this is a case, fixing an additional electric fan on the front of the grill will enhance the cooling of ac as well as the engine
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 22:28   #14
BHPian

i was facing same problem in my accord.i got my radiator serviced(cleaning nd leakage check).i also installed an extra fan.got thermostat valve cleaned nd now its all fine except one.i dont no what car is doing with coolant.some times it backs it of in coolant bottle nd sometimes it uses all,but car is not heating at all.can u guys plz suggest something?
prateek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 23:41   #15
Team-BHP Support

The cooling system in bolero is quite basic compared to modern cars as it is a developed version of the system used in older models of jeeps.while the mechanicals are quite reliable and dont give up easily the elecricals on bolero are to be checked out for,so what i think is its either the fan or the wiring playing games with you.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote