Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th August 2009, 23:31   #151
BHPian

Default Why the sad face with your clutch

Hi all,
I was going through this thread and saw many complain about the Swift clutch. Thought I can share my experience here.
I bought my Swift in Aug 2005 (4 yr completed last week). It has covered just about 60K kms. Only last month did the clutch start playing up. I started getting poorer mileage with my monthly average dropping to 10.5 in city with full A/c, which is a big drop from the 12.5 I used to get. The judders started appearing and it has become tighter than usual. My trusted mechanic though doesn't want to change it just now. But I am going in for a change this weekend. A local retailer quoted Rs 2300 for the whole assembly and claimed it is a MGP. But I am starting to doubt the genunity of the spare.
Anyone has any idea about the cost of the original clutch assy and where can I get a genuine one in Kolkata? I don't want to go to the MAS as 95% of the Kolkata MASes are absolutely unreliable (the "Original" brake pad from a MAS lasted only 2000 KMs )
sadnabrina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 13:03   #152
BHPian

Default Repeated Clutch Plate failure on Swift

Hi,

We have a swift ZXi 2005 model. It has done about 31K till now. About 7-8 months back, we had been to Coorg (Mostly hill, mountains on the western ghats). We were 5 of us and the the drive was mostly on good roads. But there was a small stretch of very bad approach road for the farm house we were staying at, with rocky, unpaved road and very steep gradients. The driving here was mostly done in 1-2 gears with very heavy usage of cluch. We were in the farm house for about 2 days. And we used the approach road for about 5-6 times. During the last day of our stay there, we started getting a burnt smell. It was very strong and we thought there was something on fire inside the bonnet. We got it checked at a local mechanic there. He suggested that the cluch plate was on its last leg and he suggested we take the car to an authorized maruti dealer. Our choices were to drive to madikeri or drive back to Mysore. We drove back to Mysore with minimal usage of the cluch. We got the cluch plate replaced and everything was back to normal.

Yesterday, we went to chamundi hills, which is close to Mysore. On the way up, we were again 5 people and there was steep gradients at various places, where 1-2 gears were used. We started getting the same burnt smell from the bonnet again. We called the maruti personnel and were told that they will send their person first thing today. So the car is now with them.May be if the cluch plate is under warranty, they will replace it again.

My questions are:

1. What is the cluch plate for? And where is it located?
2. What are the causes for it to breakdown?
3. Is the defective part the problem? Does driving style matter?
4. How to minimize its wear and tear.?

I need the pundits on tbhp to shed some light on the above points. Me and my father seldom open the bonnet of the car.

Mod's note: Merged with existing topic. Continue further discussion here

Last edited by theMAG : 29th September 2009 at 13:56.
naveenvenkatesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 13:28   #153
BHPian

New clutch smells for sometime.
I have done 2k kms after replacing the clutch on my esteem, it still smells, after harsh accelerated driving.
yogisays0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 13:31   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Ah, Welcome to the world of Cars.

1) Read these 2 in Detail.

Clutch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HowStuffWorks "How Clutches Work"

Lets say its sort of the 'soft tissue' inside your Knee (human Leg, dont think where is it in a car). This clutch (which lies inbetween the engine and gear box) takes all load to disengage/engage the engine power to the gear box. So when it wears out (due to many reasons), the burning smell, difficulty in engaging gears, etc etc will arise. Eventually when its TOTALLY worn out - the car will stop (NOT the Engine). You still can start/stop the engine, but its power WILL NOT GO INTO the Gear BOX and you will remain onthe spot.

2) Bad driving habits the PRIMARY ONE.
If you place your feet (even the tip of your shoe), constantly while driving its enough to burn the clutch down in a day or two. If you drive excessively rashly, upshifting at TOP RPM, will do similar damage as above, still not as severe. Very RARE reason being a manufac defect (rarer in case of a maruti).

3) Discussed above.

4) Read these throughly.

Clutch control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Clutch control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-------

Please explain a little more on who drives the car more often and how were the 31~K KMS covered.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 13:36   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Hi,

My questions are:

I need the pundits on tbhp to shed some light on the above points. Me and my father seldom open the bonnet of the car.

Disclaimer: Im not a pundit. . But will make an attempt.

1. Clutch is the link between your "continuously running" engine and "not always running" wheels. Located between engine flywheel and gearbox shaft.

2. Clutch will always wear down. Question is how long it lasts. Cause for breakdown is friction. The same reason why tyres wearout.

3. Driving IS what matters PLUS the terrain on which you drive. Smoother AND Faster your clutch release, longer will be the clutch life.

4. One big tip is to take OFF your feet completely from the clutch lever once its engaged. Second could be to avoid taking too much time for engaging the gear.

Hope this helps.
anoopap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 14:27   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Ah, Welcome to the world of Cars.

1) Read these 2 in Detail.

---------------------
Please explain a little more on who drives the car more often and how were the 31~K KMS covered.
Hi svsantosh,

Thanks for those links. Really helpful.

My dad has driven majority of those 31K, with me chipping in with a max of not more than 5K. He is a very sedate driver. He has driven lots of cars earlier to this. This is in fact his fifth car!
The clutch problem could be because of my driving also may be. I tend to use the clutch more than him.
The car is now back from the service station. I will update about the status after my dad wakes up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopap View Post
Disclaimer: Im not a pundit. . But will make an attempt.
------------------
Hope this helps.
Thanks anoopap. I think my driving style is to blame to this. I am a rather heavy user of the clutch and it was me who busted the clutch last time also. Need to careful.
OT: Is there any thread dedicated to proper driving style on tbhp?

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th October 2009 at 17:44. Reason: Back to back posts, use multi quote please.
naveenvenkatesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 15:43   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

60k is more than enough usage to get a new clutch. As long as you do not ride the clutch and keep it properly adjusted the driving style may not have much influence. A lot will also depend on the local conditions - are they of a tye where frequent gear changes are required.

Remember many cars (not all) have the same clutch for both diesels and petrols. The former are much harsher on the clutch.
sgiitk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 22:39   #158
BHPian

My Swift clutch was completely worn out by 16000 kms. I had gone to Vittesse and they had told me that it needed to be replaced and the car had not even completed a year. So I wrote to Maruti about the issue and they asked Vittesse to solve the issue but when I took the car to them again they told me I would have to pay for it as they would not cover it in warranty so I had no choice but to change it. So now I am on my 2nd clutch on around 36000 kms and it too has worn out.
l_tejash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 13:28   #159
BHPian

Issue here is of the Swift Clutch wearing out pretty soon. As I have mentioned my 2nd clutch is due and nor my dad or me have the habbit of placing our leg on the cluth while driving. We never had the clutch issue in any other car
Old 7th October 2009, 16:38   #160
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

I have a 2005 Swift. I have done 45k kms till date. I do have shudder but this happens only in the morning when I start the car for the day and only in the monsoons. It never happens throughout the day afyerwards. Is this a sign of a worn out clutch?

Epic
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 17:06   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_tejash View Post
Issue here is of the Swift Clutch wearing out pretty soon. As I have mentioned my 2nd clutch is due and nor my dad or me have the habbit of placing our leg on the cluth while driving. We never had the clutch issue in any other car
Swift diesel or petrol? I tend to hear that the diesel ones last longer than the petrol ones .
sdp1975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 17:18   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Couple of years ago Maruti Udyog Ltd or now Maruti Suzuki Ltd. had asked all its vendors to reduce costs by 30%, the reduction in the quantity of the clutch friction material & the spring strenght of the clutch results in premature wear. More so in high power engines like the Swift diesel & petrol.

Have a WagonR whose clutch went out at 22k kms. If you change your clutch go for the heavier Valeo clutch, they last far longer.
Remember to always replace your pressure plate + clutch plate+ release bearing.

Cheers
mmmjgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 00:11   #163
BHPian

Quote:
My Swift clutch was completely worn out by 16000 kms. I had gone to Vittesse and they had told me that it needed to be replaced and the car had not even completed a year. So I wrote to Maruti about the issue and they asked Vittesse to solve the issue but when I took the car to them again they told me I would have to pay for it as they would not cover it in warranty so I had no choice but to change it.
Tejash - Since your car was not even an year old, you should have got the warranty. Why did you agree to pay?
adi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 08:30   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi99 View Post
Tejash - Since your car was not even an year old, you should have got the warranty. Why did you agree to pay?
Mine is the Swift Petrol. The clutch is not covered in warranty so I had no choice but to pay for it
Old 8th October 2009, 12:32   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Mine is the Swift Petrol. The clutch is not covered in warranty so I had no choice but to pay for it
Swift petrol or diesel, clutch should be changed under warranty if you bought the car brand new at showroom. There are so many members here who have changed their clutch under warranty!
adi99 is offline   Reply With Quote