Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2009, 15:46   #166
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 37
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Brrrrrrrr noise at high speed in Swift .

Yes , Swift petrol has a weak clutch , I have been driving since last 25 years , in none of the cars I have driven the clutch had to be changed ( Padmni , Ambassador , Maruti Van , Gypsy , Tata Sierra , Opel Astra ) , but three year old swift done only 18,000 km needed a clutch change .

Now there is a Brrrrrrrrrrrr............. noise coming once the car is in the range of 60 - 90 kmph . Any ideas what this noise could be ?

I am suspecting the tubeless radials are making this noise !!!!!
Munish.Thapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 20:04   #167
BHPian
 
l_tejash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 63
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi99 View Post
Swift petrol or diesel, clutch should be changed under warranty if you bought the car brand new at showroom. There are so many members here who have changed their clutch under warranty!
I agree totally but even though I had written emails to Maruti for the clutch they had asked Vittesse to call me, so I thought they would do it in warranty but then when I had gone there again the same thing had started all over again, all they said was that the clutch would have to be replace and they can not do it in warranty
l_tejash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 15:30   #168
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 11
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Is there a solution to the Clutch wear on a SWIFT

I have seen numerous posts confirming that the Swift Petrol has a weak clutch but is there any solution to this problem. I have a Petrol Vxi which has done around 40K and its clutch maybe due for replacement. Has Maruti got a solution to this abnormal clutch wear or do you suggest using any specific brand/type of clutch disc to enhance life of the clutch plates.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions
biju.bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:09   #169
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 88
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

I have seen a lot of members putting down their opinion that the Clutch Plates should be replaced under warranty. However, to be very fair, it should kept out of warranty. Before anything, let me explain you why a clutch is needed in the first place -

Clutch plates are friction plates that transmit the power and torque from the engine to the gear box - Whenever you are pressing down the clutch pedal, the plates detach from each other thereby delinking the engine from the gearbox - this is done so that you can change the gear. If there was no such delinking mechanism / if attempts were made to change the gears without such delinking, there will be a horrible jerky response which is difficult to tolerate or in worser cases, the gear will break. It is hence essential to delink the engine from the gearbox whenever gears are to be changed. The act of pressing the clutch pedal is nothing but delinking.

If the clutch is not properly engaged, the friction plates will slip against each other thereby causing them to rub against each other - This will result in clutch heating up and eventually burning out resulting in a very bad and dangerous smell (if you consider that some of the clutch assemblies still contain asbestos, then you can understand how dangerous it can be). The slipping / rubbing also causes to loss of transmission in power and torque - it is an 87 bhp / 115 Nm torque engine on one side and a 1 ton vehicle on the other side for the poor clutch - so, any slippage is bound to cause depleted performance, loss of pick-up / loss of mileage.

What causes the clutch to not properly engaged also has various reasons - one being improper settings by the mechanic @service station - these are easy to detect because of the change in the behavior of the car immediately after the service. The second and the most common reason is improper driving skills. People indulging in driving with improper clutch engagement is so common that you almost start wondering as to why companies should extend warranty to faulty drivers. To list some of the reasons, here we go -

1. Depressing clutch while coming downhill - What this causes is that the vehicle gains a lot of momentum and force - coupling the engine with the vehicle that carries so much momentum is always going to end up with a lot of force on the clutch.

2. Left leg is always on the clutch pedal even when driving at 100 kmph - what this does is that unknowingly, the weight of your leg can depress the pedal - even so lightly to cause improper engagement of the clutch and hence cause slippage.

3. Revving up hard and drag racing - well - The engine can spew any amount of power - but hang on - the clutch might not be in a position to handle so much !!

4. Traffic - well - the more you drive, the more you change the gears and everytime you do it, you need to delink, change the gear and then engage the clutch - the more you do it, the more is the wear and tear.

5. Revving even before clutch is completely released - release the clutch completely and rev up very gradually while doing it (don't exceed 1500 RPM when the clutch pedal is not completely released) - you will be pleasantly surprised by the extra life it adds to your clutch !!

6. Engine Mods - Engine Modifications to boost the power output have a lot of bearing on the clutch and it's life. If the strengh of a chain is known by the weakest link, then the weakest link in the entire transmission is the clutch - for it runs on friction !! If you are getting any engine mods done, consider a change of clutch to the next level as well.

7. Another common cause is improper setting of the free play of the clutch pedal - the clutch pedal should have atleast 2 to 3 cms of free play at the tip of the pedal - This will ensure that the clutch is completely engaged and there is no free play when the vehicle is being driven.

A well driven and well maintained Swift should not have any replacement of clutch for 45-50K kilometers - Again, it is lesser than the industry standards, but They cost only a fraction when compared to some of the other companies.

Having replacements as early as 6K / 10K / 15K can only be because of wrong driving practice OR wrong settings on the clutch. No company can have clutch plates and related parts in warranty because a lot of reasons for clutch failure are attributed to the way the vehicle is driven. And it is no wonder that we see most failures on a Swift as it is the choosen vehicle by many for drag racing on the roads
bbkp is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 13:07   #170
BHPian
 
l_tejash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 63
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

The above information about the clutch is very good but what about the people who have other car in which the Clutch is lasting more than 50k kms but in the Swift it has been almost 1/4 of that range.
This has happened to me also.
l_tejash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 13:59   #171
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 88
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_tejash View Post
The above information about the clutch is very good but what about the people who have other car in which the Clutch is lasting more than 50k kms but in the Swift it has been almost 1/4 of that range.
This has happened to me also.
It is a question of tolerance - different components (especially wear and tear ones) have different tolerances !! Had everything been the same, maintaining every car would have been similar - but, that is not really the case. Maybe, the clutch assembly on the other car is more tolerant and the ones on the Swift are not specifically for your driving style !!

Again, as I have stated towards the very end, Clutches in Swift should last for about 45K to 50K - which is much less compared to competition - but they are definitely not weak to the extent of getting cooked by 6K or 10K kilometers as some of the members have suggested.

Cheers
bbkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 10:36   #172
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 922
Thanked: 378 Times
Default

My Alto Lxi clutch failed due to faulty diaphragm spring, admitted by the mechanic as a manufacturing defect. Premature wearing of Clutch Plate can be attributed to driving style, but I think if it's a Pressure Plate (Diaphragm Spring) failure, most porbably it is due to a Manufacturing Defect or Bad Settings.

Can some Swift Owners confirm whether the failure was due to to Worn out Clutch Plate or the failed Pressure Plate (Diaphragm Spring)?
jinojohnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 11:31   #173
Senior - BHPian
 
longhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,154
Thanked: 290 Times
Default

My Maruti 800 which has covered 52k kilometres is still running on the original factory fitted clutch. If an 800 can do this, the Swift's clutch should be at least as good, if not better. Clutch conking off under 10k can nean only one of the following :-

1. You are knowingly/unknowingly riding the clutch.
2. Improper clutch setting at the factory/dealer.
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 19:33   #174
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,763
Thanked: 89,535 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkp View Post
It is a question of tolerance - different components (especially wear and tear ones) have different tolerances !! Had everything been the same, maintaining every car would have been similar - but, that is not really the case. Maybe, the clutch assembly on the other car is more tolerant and the ones on the Swift are not specifically for your driving style !!
The Swift is built cheap; that cost cutting so obviously reflects in the quality / durability of the clutch system. Take Moderator Ajmat as an example : He's as accomplished a driver as they come. Yet, his Swift had premature clutch failure.

If anything, the Swift 1.3 Petrol (now discontinued) needed a beefier clutch than its competitors. Primary reason being the poor low end torque of that engine, and the resultant clutch slipping.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 21:50   #175
BHPian
 
mustang89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: new delhi
Posts: 348
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

@gto-well said sir.
Having worked with maruti and its component suppliers I know the kind of tolerances they maintain,although I dont know abut other companies.
guys,recently the feel of clutch in my car has become very stiff.is that a sign of wearing clutch?
mustang89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 21:57   #176
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 573
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
My Maruti 800 which has covered 52k kilometres is still running on the original factory fitted clutch. If an 800 can do this, the Swift's clutch should be at least as good, if not better.
Its not fair to compare clutch life between different car models (even from the same manufacturer).

Compare 800's only with other 800's. IIRC - my 800 did 1.1L km's before a clutch change (the clutch change was done we rebuilt the engine).
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 17:46   #177
BHPian
 
Rocky_Balboa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Namma Bengalooru
Posts: 585
Thanked: 59 Times
Default

When I gave my ~3 yr old SwifDy for a check-up prior a Munnar drive @ 45K kms, the service technician prompty told me the clutch was weak and might need a replacement. Incidently he picked upon the low pickup that I complained about and attribute to a weak clutch. A thorough cleaning of the air filter (I didnt want to replace at that point) resolved the issue then.

What irked me was this statement "Saar, You can drive to Munnar without issues but Maruti recommends a clutch change for diesels at 50K kms". Having read about this nataks in TBhp, I forgot about the statement until yesterday when I noticed my car nearing 50K and due for a service soon. (am still on the original brake pads hehehe).

I promptly wrote a mail in the afternoon to Maruti customer care and was surprised to receive 3-4 calls today morning from Mandovi's customer care manager; apologising for the technician's statement and assuring good service.

+1 to Maruti

======================================
From: webmaster@maruti.co.in
Received: 8/30/2010 1:29 PM
To: ATM Queue
Subject: Enquiry About Technical Query

Dear Admin,
Model Maruti Swift
Registration Number KA ** ** 4941
Technical Query

Hi Folks, Good Day. I drive a Swift Diesel VDI for 3 years now and have driven just about 50K kms. When I gave my car for a checkup last time (45K kms then), the SA said the clutch is weak and has to be changed. When I asked why so, he said its mandatory for Swift Diesel's clutch to be changed at 50K kms. This SA is very technical but I wouldnt believe him for what he said. I have been having some juddering problems in 1st gear, which seemed to go after a service. Would like to know if Maruti recommends a clutch change for Swift Diesels at 50K kms and Why.

Thanks in Advance.
Rocky_Balboa
========================================
From: ATM Queue [mailto:contact@maruti.co.in]
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2010 5:19 PM
To: G/Koul Ashit, L-12(SR3); ROS2/Ponniah Ashok Kumar, MGR(SSZ); ROS2/Ponniah Ashok Kumar, MGR(SSZ); ROS2/Patil Basanth Kumar, L-12(SSZ); ROS2/Satapathy Bikram, L-12(SSZ); ROS2/MB Channabasavaraj, L-13(SSZ); ROS2/Saini Davinder, L-13(SSZ); ROS2/M Dinesh Kumar, L-11(SSZ); G/Hariom, L-08S(SR3); G/Prashant Kumar, L-12(SR3); ROS2/Kannan M, L-09S(SSZ); ROS2/R Rakesh, L-11(SSZ); G/Yadav Rakesh, L-09S(SR3); ROS2/Kankudti Sameer Adam, L-13(SSZ); ROS2/R Thiyagarajan, L-11(SSZ); ROS2/Ambati Venkateswara Rao, L-12(SSZ)
Subject: FW: RE: Enquiry About Technical Query CRM:

Dear Sir,
Kindly suggest.
Regards,
ANY TIME MARUTI
===============================================
From: G/Hariom, L-08S(SR3)
Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 9:00 AM
To: ALL USERS OF SERVICE-S2
Cc: G/Koul Ashit, L-12(SR3); G/Prashant Kumar, L-12(SR3)
Subject: FW: RE: Enquiry About Technical Query CRM:

Dear sir,
Pl. respond to customer’ query.
Thanks & regards,
Hariom (Ser-3)
Cont.no. 0124-2340106
================================================
From: ROS2/M Dinesh Kumar, L-11(SSZ)
Sent: 31 August 2010 09:33
To: ROS2/Satapathy Bikram, L-12(SSZ)
Cc: ROS2/MB Channabasavaraj, L-13(SSZ)
Subject: FW: RE: Enquiry About Technical Query CRM:

Dear Sir,
I spoke to the customer. The complaint belongs to Mandovi Yeshwantpur.
Thanks & Regards,
Dinesh Kumar .M
================================================
From: Bikram.Satapathy@maruti.co.in
Date: 8/31/2010 9:48:59 AM
To: mandovi.blr.srv6@marutidealers.com
Subject: FW: RE: Enquiry About Technical Query CRM:

Dear Mr. Sunil,
Please arrange to reply within 1 hour to avoid registration of the complaint under W-series.
Why such comment is by Service Advisor?
Thanks & Regards,
Bikram Satapathy / TSM Bangalore /
=================================================
From: C Care @ Mandovi YPR [mandovi.blr.srv6@marutidealers.com]
To: Rocky_Balboa
Dear Sir,

We regret the inconvenience caused to you and we acknowledge the complaint. With regard to the Swift Diesel clutch, it is not mandatory to replace the clutch @ 50k kms. The replacement of clutch is based on amount of wear & tear. Whereas in your case @ 45k kms we inspected and recommended for clutch replacement as there was juddering complaint.

Kindly let us know when it will be convenient for you to give the vehicle in-order to address the problem.

We assure you our best services always.

Thanks & Regards,
Sathya
Customer Care Manager, Mandovi.
================================================== =====================
Rocky_Balboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 10:51   #178
BHPian
 
bhp_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kochi, Kerala
Posts: 412
Thanked: 90 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
When I gave my ~3 yr old SwifDy for a check-up prior a Munnar drive @ 45K kms, the service technician prompty told me the clutch was weak and might need a replacement. Incidently he picked upon the low pickup that I complained about and attribute to a weak clutch. A thorough cleaning of the air filter (I didnt want to replace at that point) resolved the issue then.

What irked me was this statement "Saar, You can drive to Munnar without issues but Maruti recommends a clutch change for diesels at 50K kms". Having read about this nataks in TBhp, I forgot about the statement until yesterday when I noticed my car nearing 50K and due for a service soon. (am still on the original brake pads hehehe).

I promptly wrote a mail in the afternoon to Maruti customer care and was surprised to receive 3-4 calls today morning from Mandovi's customer care manager; apologising for the technician's statement and assuring good service.

+1 to Maruti

======================================
From: webmaster@maruti.co.in
Received: 8/30/2010 1:29 PM
To: ATM Queue
Subject: Enquiry About Technical Query

Dear Admin,
Model Maruti Swift
Registration Number KA ** ** 4941
Technical Query

Hi Folks, Good Day. I drive a Swift Diesel VDI for 3 years now and have driven just about 50K kms. When I gave my car for a checkup last time (45K kms then), the SA said the clutch is weak and has to be changed. When I asked why so, he said its mandatory for Swift Diesel's clutch to be changed at 50K kms. This SA is very technical but I wouldnt believe him for what he said. I have been having some juddering problems in 1st gear, which seemed to go after a service. Would like to know if Maruti recommends a clutch change for Swift Diesels at 50K kms and Why.

Thanks in Advance.
Rocky_Balboa
========================================
From: ATM Queue [mailto:contact@maruti.co.in]
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2010 5:19 PM
To: G/Koul Ashit, L-12(SR3); ROS2/Ponniah Ashok Kumar, MGR(SSZ); ROS2/Ponniah Ashok Kumar, MGR(SSZ); ROS2/Patil Basanth Kumar, L-12(SSZ); ROS2/Satapathy Bikram, L-12(SSZ); ROS2/MB Channabasavaraj, L-13(SSZ); ROS2/Saini Davinder, L-13(SSZ); ROS2/M Dinesh Kumar, L-11(SSZ); G/Hariom, L-08S(SR3); G/Prashant Kumar, L-12(SR3); ROS2/Kannan M, L-09S(SSZ); ROS2/R Rakesh, L-11(SSZ); G/Yadav Rakesh, L-09S(SR3); ROS2/Kankudti Sameer Adam, L-13(SSZ); ROS2/R Thiyagarajan, L-11(SSZ); ROS2/Ambati Venkateswara Rao, L-12(SSZ)
Subject: FW: RE: Enquiry About Technical Query CRM:

Dear Sir,
Kindly suggest.
Regards,
ANY TIME MARUTI
===============================================
From: G/Hariom, L-08S(SR3)
Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 9:00 AM
To: ALL USERS OF SERVICE-S2
Cc: G/Koul Ashit, L-12(SR3); G/Prashant Kumar, L-12(SR3)
Subject: FW: RE: Enquiry About Technical Query CRM:

Dear sir,
Pl. respond to customer’ query.
Thanks & regards,
Hariom (Ser-3)
Cont.no. 0124-2340106
================================================
From: ROS2/M Dinesh Kumar, L-11(SSZ)
Sent: 31 August 2010 09:33
To: ROS2/Satapathy Bikram, L-12(SSZ)
Cc: ROS2/MB Channabasavaraj, L-13(SSZ)
Subject: FW: RE: Enquiry About Technical Query CRM:

Dear Sir,
I spoke to the customer. The complaint belongs to Mandovi Yeshwantpur.
Thanks & Regards,
Dinesh Kumar .M
================================================
From: Bikram.Satapathy@maruti.co.in
Date: 8/31/2010 9:48:59 AM
To: mandovi.blr.srv6@marutidealers.com
Subject: FW: RE: Enquiry About Technical Query CRM:

Dear Mr. Sunil,
Please arrange to reply within 1 hour to avoid registration of the complaint under W-series.
Why such comment is by Service Advisor?
Thanks & Regards,
Bikram Satapathy / TSM Bangalore /
=================================================
From: C Care @ Mandovi YPR [mandovi.blr.srv6@marutidealers.com]
To: Rocky_Balboa
Dear Sir,

We regret the inconvenience caused to you and we acknowledge the complaint. With regard to the Swift Diesel clutch, it is not mandatory to replace the clutch @ 50k kms. The replacement of clutch is based on amount of wear & tear. Whereas in your case @ 45k kms we inspected and recommended for clutch replacement as there was juddering complaint.

Kindly let us know when it will be convenient for you to give the vehicle in-order to address the problem.

We assure you our best services always.

Thanks & Regards,
Sathya
Customer Care Manager, Mandovi.
================================================== =====================
Hats off to Maruti A.S.S. Coming back to the matter of discussion, I am hearing a lot of clutch issues from Swift. Is it specific to Swift petrol/Swift D, as both of them are using different clutch mechanisms. I believe, Swift D is using a hydraulic clutch. Correct me if I am wrong. I had a couple of friends of me driving Swift 1.3 Petrol who had to change clutch at 16k and 20k respectively (both were 2008 models). In both the cases, the car was stuck in middle of traffic. And the first guy has covered 30k after the first clutch change. Initially I thought it may be his driving style, but the fact that his second clutch is now 30k old, I doubt it to be a manufacturing defect. I personally believe that these clutches are not made to handle the power and torque of the engine or else, the margins provided are too less that a slight misuse cause a premature failure. But believe me, both of the guys I mentioned are not rash drivers. And fingers crossed for my Swift D
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 11:24   #179
Senior - BHPian
 
rajeev k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Emerging Metro
Posts: 3,306
Thanked: 1,730 Times
Default

My 1.3 P swift that has clocked 22000 km do not have any clutch issues as of now.

But a noticeable deterrent in swift clutch is that if say we are reversing to a prking area or the like which if it is one inch higher and if not ridden on clutch would shut the engine. This I have noticed from day one. To avoid these things naturally swift users may tend to ride on the clutch which could be the causating factor for clutch failure.

The low end lack of power necessitating clutch riding by some drivers could also accelerate clutch wear.

Last edited by rajeev k : 1st September 2010 at 11:25. Reason: corrections
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 14:34   #180
BHPian
 
Rocky_Balboa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Namma Bengalooru
Posts: 585
Thanked: 59 Times
Default

Gave SwifDy for the 50K service yesterday and the clutch judder has been rectified. All it took was to bleed the clutch, to have the shine back.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti using weak engine mounts? commonman Technical Stuff 4 12th January 2017 23:24
Swift D-Clutch/Gear Problem : Competent Motors unable to solve the clutch shudder Eddy Technical Stuff 48 8th September 2013 23:03
Ikon 1.6 with weak clutch takes us to Darjeeling and a few forests of North Bengal. 1100D Travelogues 99 16th August 2009 10:43
Weak clutch on Esteem - Car speed not matching engine RPM gaurav.28ch Technical Stuff 2 26th November 2008 17:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:09.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks