Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 10th September 2010, 02:21   #181
BHPian

Default Perfect clutch in Swift D even at 61K KMs

I have a Dec 2007 Swift Diesel that has done 61K by now and I have a wonderful clutch till date . I drive 80% in Kolkata City and 20% on GQ. Hence the clutch does get used quite heavily. In my 60K service one of the SA guys at Mohan Motors congratulated me for having changed the clutch in my 50K service and I had to convince him that this was indeed the original clutch. He says it feels like new.

So I dont think Swift D has a bad clutch at all. In fact I am still riding my initial brake pads and the stock JK Tornados. They too seem to be capable enough for about another 20K.
Ranendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2010, 21:37   #182
BHPian

Today I crossed 74000 km on Odo in my 2006 Swift Vxi.

Thankfully, touch wood, no clutch issues whatsoever till date, and no loss of power, apart from the fact that my 100 / 120 / 140 kph corresponding RPM limits have gone up slightly, may be by about a couple of hundred RPM.

I guess some of the unfortunate Swift owners may have got defective pieces that somehow slipped through the factory QC.

My usage has been about 70% within Pune/Mumbai cities, and the rest 30% betn the Expressway and other long highway rides.

Cheers,
R_S
roadie_swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 11:27   #183
Team-BHP Support

My Swift Vxi has done 52,000 km. I only just upgraded the stocks to Yoko A-drive 185/60 R14s. The clutch is fine, though in all honesty I can't take all the credit since she seems to have been very well maintained by her previous owner, a doctor!

The clutch is a little hard, but from the other threads I gather that is not a sign of a "bad" clutch, just that it needs to be oiled and serviced. I have every intention of going the whole 70K- touch wood!- despite MASS doing their best to convince me to change my clutch at every servicing!

Last edited by noopster : 1st October 2010 at 11:28.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 12:02   #184
BHPian

I was going through a few posts and and I found that everyone is complaining against the petrol swifts clutch. But my father has a diesel swift. I started driving his car after completing a driving course at the local driving school. I have driving his car for not more than 150 kms I believe. I have stalled it a few times (say about 10-15 times).

Recently the car shudders a bit while taking off in first gear. My father suspected the clutch and the guys at dewars comfirmed. My father says its happened this early [the car has done only about 10500 kms] because of my bad driving. But quite a few of my friends who drive their fathers car and are equally as bad as me are not suffering from the same problem. Could it be that the clutch is at fault?
scuderiamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 21:13   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
My father says its happened this early [the car has done only about 10500 kms] because of my bad driving. But quite a few of my friends who drive their fathers car and are equally as bad as me are not suffering from the same problem. Could it be that the clutch is at fault?
Your father is probably correct!
buntydey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 17:13   #186

Default Re: Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch

I thought of sharing my experience with the Swift (Petrol) Clutch.

My Swift VXi is May 2006 make. Completed 34K KMs about a week back

Last week while driving back from Mangalore, noticed the problem, after driving about 200KM -- vehicle being resisted, something like some braking power exerted. Checked all the basic stuff like, tyre pressure, brake, check if the vehicle goes on straight line without the hand on steering. All seemed to be okay. Then checked this: while hands-off the steering, apply brake and see if it stops straight -- just to ensure that tyre pressure and alignment is alright (of course, this won't be an effective test, since my car has ABS, it would do so anyway) and no problem. In summary, I felt something is pulling the car back, offering something like brake resistance, though I could not see any obvious noticeable signs of issues. My father-in-law who was with me too experience the same.

However, there is no noticeable change in RPM for the speeds I were in and none of the diagnostics light had come on!

When I came to Bangalore, checked the mileage -- it was about 14KM/ltr! So it wasn't just a perception, but real. Normally I get with my kind of driving about 16-16.5KM/ltr for Mangalore-Bangalore trip, even with driving thru' Shiradi Ghat hard Trail not withstanding.

Checked the pressure and did the wheel alignment after I came back to Bangalore-- everything was normal. In Bangalore city I used to get about 13KM/ltr. Now it dropped about 9-10 KM, in city driving!

Took the car to Bimal service station -- SA suspected it to be clutch issue, though he never acknowledged that there is any resistance issue. He recommended to replace the clutch system. I used to have occasional issues of struggle to engage the 1st gear and reverse gear which would be fine after the service. All along SA had told me that it is nothing serious and can be fixed and it was so after the service. However, I listened to the SA this time, since I used to get judder in 1st and 2nd gear, for the last 4K-5K Km or so, though I am not convinced that the "resistance" issue has anything to do with the clutch. So changed the clutch anyway, yesterday. Along with did the throttle body cleaning and brake assembly cleaning. Need to check if it has fixed the problem. Hopefully it does.
zensure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2011, 16:39   #187
Senior - BHPian

My VXI-ABS has done 48000 kms. I get around 12 kmpl in city traffic which is the same as year or more back. I get 17 kmpl while traveling Mumbai-Pune expressway. Sometimes there is a judder when I release the clutch from stationary on the first gear. This has been there for the last 20-30000 kms, actually gotten lesser now than before.

I got a minor service done at carnation today & the mechanic suggested a clutch service - he said the pressing the clutch lever is hard. He said he will only know if something needs to be changed & what needs to be changed (just clutch or also flywheel or whatever) after opening & seeing it during the clutch service.

I was wondering if there is a way I can figure out whether this is needed? I am not good with this - I don't know whether my clutch is hard or not or even whether it's harder than before? I am not really a good judge of car stuff. I am little worried about being made to change it unnecessarily when not required.
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 09:22   #188

My 2006 ZXi has 126000 on the odo, and I haven't had any problems with the clutch (or any other mechanicals) so far. The car gets serviced every 5000 kms @ Wonder Cars, Pimpri. My usage is 60-40 (Mumbai's roads and highways).
BTW: what's the average life of a clutch before it needs to be replaced/overhauled?
DaiKatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 09:40   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiKatana View Post
My 2006 ZXi has 126000 on the odo, and I haven't had any problems with the clutch (or any other mechanicals) so far. The car gets serviced every 5000 kms @ Wonder Cars, Pimpri. My usage is 60-40 (Mumbai's roads and highways).
BTW: what's the average life of a clutch before it needs to be replaced/overhauled?
I have seen clutches last even as long as 1,50,000 kms. But on the average, it should go at least till 60,000 kms. If your service center asks you to change your clutch before this, you should get a second opinion.
Old 12th February 2011, 16:48   #190
BHPian

Hi Motorheads ,

I am new to Team-BHP, this happens to be my first post here.

I purchased a Used Swift Vxi (ABS), feb 2006 registered, 2 weeks back at 3.47lacs (I know I paid a few grands extra) from Mahindra First Choice in Bangalore. With the purchase I get 1 year warranty or 15000 kms, whichever is earlier.

The car had done 56093 kms at the time of purchase. After using it for a couple of days,

I could smell something burning, felt like rubber burning, but when i thoroughly checked, it was from under the bonnet, from the clutch (which was later confirmed by Green Cars, Maruti Authorized Service Center).
I drove the car for a few more days, and started to get that smell only while riding the clutch in heavy traffic or when parking my car in my appt, To park the car in my appt, which is around 6 inches high, and it was almost impossible to move the car up without revving and riding the clutch to get the car up that 6 inch high ramp.

And a few days later the clutch was super hard to press and I had to put a little effort to engage the 1st gear or reverse gear. I could also feel a lot of judders as well.

I then installed K&N air filter (Swift Stock filter) and it made revving even more and the clutch would burn each time i revv high in any gear or when I tried to redline, which i generally don't do. So I then decided to replace the clutch (its not covered under warranty by Mahindra First Choice) at Green Cars, Koramangala.
The replacement was done quickly, when i saw the damaged clutch being taken out of the car, I was horror stuck, the clutch had nothing left in it, it was black, and the pressure plate was in bad shape as did the flywheel.

I paid 5.5k for the entire kit,
Flywheel
Release Bearing
Flywheel Bearing
Pressure Plate
Clutch

I asked the guy at the service center to replace all of the above mentioned.

Now the car feels new, amazing pickup and not juddering, However i still feel that the gear lever is a little hard when changing gears, not sure what is wrong. Please Advice.

BTW - I wanted to replace the stock clutch with Exedy Stage 1, but the price quotes were too high for me, INR 13k.

Here are some pics of the Car and the Clutch.
Attached Thumbnails
Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch-img_0320.jpg  

Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch-img_0321.jpg  

Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch-img_0322.jpg  

Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch-img_0312.jpg  

Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch-img_0311.jpg  

Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch-img_0310.jpg  

Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch-img_0313.jpg  

Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch-img_0309.jpg  

Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch-img_0308.jpg  

Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch-img_0315.jpg  

gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 23:38   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
So I then decided to replace the clutch (its not covered under warranty by Mahindra First Choice) at Green Cars, Koramangala.
Why isn't the clutch covered?
Old 12th February 2011, 23:51   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Why isn't the clutch covered?
They consider clutch being a consumable (depends on driving etc) hence it is not covered, they said we would overhaul the clutch, which i am sure would not help, as there is nothing really left to service there on the clutch.

If you see, in one of the pics, it has black power kind of stuff on that newspaper, thats all asbestos, which choked the clutch plate, the engineer at Green Cars, had to clean all that with petrol, especially the clutch lever, when i tried moving the clutch lever, it was super hard to move as all that black stuff was stuck and didn't allow free movement of the clutch, which resulted in the clutch being stiff before replacement. After the replacement of clutch and proper lubrication, the clutch is super smooth and soft. Don't really need to put a lot of effort to press the clutch pedal now.

I guess now i understand why people say, if the clutch pedal is hard, clutch is about to die, thats because, the asbestos burns and gets stuck on the clutch lever inside the clutch assembly and doesn't allow free movement.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 20:49   #193
BHPian

Hello Guys,

I have a June 2005 Swift. My clutch packed up at 15000kms. Replaced it, its running strong after 30k kms.

Now my questions are:

1> As i got to know that diesel swift has a beefier clutch, can it be fitted in petrol 1.3 swift?
2> Are there any after market beefier reliable clutch system, which can be fitted onto swift 1.3, to solve the weak clutch problem?

Please clear the doubts.

Thank You
kicksperliter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 19:48   #194
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

I own a March 2007 Swift VXI. and my car has run around 34K now. off late(3-4 kms) i have been noticing the shudder when i slot to first gear(during start/heavy traffic).

The problem is typically seen when the car is moving up the incline,as i dont see this issue on a flat surface.

So i end up putting slightly more pressure on the accelerator to avoid the shudder.

Also, In heavy traffic, if the vehicle is on the move(in 1st gear and i keep holding on to the clutch) i dont see the problem. it is only when the vehicle is completely brought to halt and climbs the slope

Car is pretty smooth in other gears and i never noticed any drop in performence or FE(atleast so far)

Is this a sign of clutch wear or something to do with clutch cable or something ?

Also after going through this thread, i see typically people have been seeing the issue only on pre-2007 swifts(i did not see any newer car having the complaint)
rajshenoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 09:32   #195
BHPian

I too seem to be facing recurring issues with clutch. First, had the clutch replaced at 30K Kms - Went to service center with an issue of poor pick-up when moving from gear II to gear III and after a test ride, they said that clutch has to be replaced. Now, after just 6K Kms again, started facing issues with clutch. There is shudder in slow-speeds and need to raise the engine a little to avoid this.

I am thinking if I should swith-over to an aftermaket ceramic clutch? Has anyone replaced the stock clutch with an aftermaket ceramic clutch? are there any specific issues that could arise due to moving to a ceramic clutch ?? thanks in advance.

Siva
kshivaa is online now   Reply With Quote