Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd December 2011, 11:07   #196
BHPian

Default Re: Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch

Shudders in swift petrol due to clutch is a common thing, I'm facing the same since last 10k kms (Dzire vxi - currently 42k kms). Replacing the clutch and pressure plate is the only solution. But i'm delaying the same as there is no clutch slippage when in gears ... yet.
ragzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 12:46   #197
BHPian

Has anyone used the Exedy stage 1 clutch and any specific feedback on whether to go for it or not? Is there some place in chennai where I can get it ?

thanks
Siva
kshivaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 15:23   #198
BHPian

The higher clutch wear attributes to the poor low end torque of the maruti petrol engines. I am seeing my neighbour labouring the engine to get in the incline for parking in his flat, even spoke to him just to leave the clutch. I thought it will glide over the incline but the engine just badly knocks and dies off . I was surprised and never happened on my GTX heck I dont even turn off A/C while climbing into the parking slot .
It doesnt matter how beefier the clutch but slipping the clutch does eat plates quickly.
vijaycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 15:50   #199
BHPian

I have managed to clock 86k km on my Swift Vxi without any clutch issues other than the occasional juddering. Although I feel the clutch should run for another 10k km or so without any issues, its probably advisable to change it now. Exedy stage 1 users, any feedback? Also, which (non M.A.S.S) garage in Blr does a good clutch job?
Roy.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 16:15   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshivaa View Post
Has anyone used the Exedy stage 1 clutch and any specific feedback on whether to go for it or not? Is there some place in chennai where I can get it ?

thanks
Siva
I have been using an Exedy Stage 1 clutch in my 2006 model Swift VXi for the past one year and am very happy with the performance. No shuddering/juddering at any speed, in fact pulls cleanly from 500 rpm in any gear!! Cost me Rs. 13 K last year. I know where it's available in Bangalore, but Chennai..no!
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 19:09   #201
BHPian

Thanks for the info. Think I will go for Exedy stage I clutch. Anyone can provide me information on where I can get the Exedy Stage I clutch in Chennai? and a good place to have it installed?
Old 2nd December 2011, 22:01   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshivaa View Post
Thanks for the info. Think I will go for Exedy stage I clutch. Anyone can provide me information on where I can get the Exedy Stage I clutch in Chennai? and a good place to have it installed?
Let me find out if my supplier can deliver it in Chennai. Regarding installation, I got mine done at the authorized service centre, suggest you do the same! It comes complete with a Japanese clutch release bearing, only the bearing at the flywheel end and the flywheel need to be sourced from your service centre!
Old 3rd December 2011, 14:05   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Let me find out if my supplier can deliver it in Chennai. Regarding installation, I got mine done at the authorized service centre, suggest you do the same! It comes complete with a Japanese clutch release bearing, only the bearing at the flywheel end and the flywheel need to be sourced from your service centre!

Thank you, please do let me know. In the meantime, let me enquire in Chennai too. Chennai members - any specific shop in GP road that you can recommend where I an enquire on the Exedy clutch ??

thanks
Siva
Old 3rd December 2011, 18:53   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
I have been using an Exedy Stage 1 clutch in my 2006 model Swift VXi for the past one year and am very happy with the performance.......
So where did you get the clutch job done?
Roy.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2011, 12:09   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
So where did you get the clutch job done?
Mandovi Motors, Wilson Garden
Old 5th December 2011, 12:48   #206
Senior - BHPian

I have a 2010 K12 Swift, with 12k on the ODO. My clutch judders slightly for as long as I can remember. I drive , or rather, used to drive in first gear atleast for 20-30 mins in bumper to bumper traffic everyday. However, there is no loss of pickup, or slippage. The gears engage smoothly and the acceleration is as smooth as the engine revs. Though occasionally, I have trouble slotting it into 3rd from 2nd gear. Has happened thrice in as many months recently, and is quite embarrassing if you are upto a fair clip and the gear box forces you to brake and reduce the revs.
Should I be worried?

EDIT : I would like to add, I do not ride the clutch. Consciously got rid of that habbit when I got the car last year. Nor do I ever revv the nuts of this car.

Last edited by sajo : 5th December 2011 at 13:02. Reason: See inline.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 14:11   #207
BHPian

I have a 2009 Swift Petrol and it has covered around 59K till date.
Got the clutch changed at around 49K as the service advisor mentioned its gone bad and hard so the solution was to change it at that point which I got done aswell. Now my car has been services regularly from Maruti Service Masters Naraina and the clutch change was done at this place itself. The post clucth change experience was good as I could feel the difference instantly, prominent being the way the car accelerated and also the lightness of the clutch, jst felt new. Now its covered close to 10K and the clutch has become hard once again and I can feel the effort it takes while going incline even in first gear itself. Not sure what the issue is, due now for service this weekend, will check and see what they recommend this time around and how they solve it.
invincible7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 23:23   #208
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Its a swift petrol, it uses a cable operated clutch system, one of the major difference between petrol and diesel swift. And also the reason for vast difference in clutch parts and overhaul cost.

I can advice you to replace the cable. Its a rs.200 thingy. I have seen many complains of hard clutch this year. If you remember we had heavy rains all over India. Water seeping in the system and rusting. Clutch cable is one of them.
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 11:38   #209
BHPian

You are right SirAlec, it has rained cats and dogs in Delhi region and that was one of the one of the reasons why my earlier clutch got busted as the car was down in the water for some hours, the clutch change was done in the month of Jul-Aug as far as I remember. I will surely get the cable checked and if required will replace it and see the difference it brings to the setup.
invincible7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 20:15   #210
BHPian

dear cpbopanna,

I tried calling the number that you had PM'ed me, but the person on the other side said wrong number, when I asked for Mr.Rajesh. Can you please PM me the number again?

thanks
Siva