Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 13th January 2012, 14:06   #211
BANNED

Default Re: Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch

This may be relevant:- the first Maruti-Suzuki van we had, 1986, had a battery that lasted for 7 seasons, the clutch lasted as long as we had the van (1.8 lakh kms when we sold it), and engine wasn't touched till then barring minor stuff. Oh yes, the fuel pump stopped during every summer, so the wet cloth on top method was standard.

Next, the Zen we bought in 1996, used for 8 years, about 1.1 lakh kms, again did not touch the engine barring minor stuff. Clutch still in good shape.

Often used these cars, especially the sturdy Omni, as support vehicle for rallies and similar.

Other cars also, the clutch was never the issue, which includes GM Chevrolet Optra/petrol, Hyundai Santro and Accent (both petrol, and Tata Indica (petrol as well as diesel).

We now have two Maruti Swift diesel cars, 4 and 3 years old respectively, with about 45k and 30k on the odo respectively, the first is in for a clutch job and the second will follow soon. Our driving styles are still the same, our OE tyres last us 60-80k easily (MRF/JK).

My take is that city driving in Delhi has worsened substantially over the last few years, and that is a major contributor to clutch jobs, because both these cars are largely city use. Can't think of any other reason . . .
malq is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 14:36   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkp View Post
........coupling the engine with the vehicle that carries so much momentum is always going to end up with a lot of force on the clutch.

But isn't that what you are supposed to do in engine braking, which I believe is the correct method to slow down from high speeds.
aks2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 16:00   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by malq View Post
My take is that city driving in Delhi has worsened substantially over the last few years, and that is a major contributor to clutch jobs, because both these cars are largely city use. Can't think of any other reason . . .
I completely agree with you on this. I too have Oct. 2006 Swift Vxi and first clutch plate change was done at 24k and second has been done recently at 66k. Its the clutch which has to bear the brunt of the traffic, East Delhi-Gurgaon-East Delhi everyday.
ABerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 00:47   #214
BHPian

After suffering the stock clutch on my Swift Vxi for 4 years and almost 90k km, I finally changed over to an Exedy clutch. The difference in drivability has to be experienced to be believed. The juddering which had started when the car was less than three months old is gone. In fact, my driving style had changed so much to accomodate the eccentricities of the stock clutch that I find it a little difficult to cope with the refinement of the Exedy.
After driving almost a thousand km on the Exedy, it still amazes me that I can drive my car up the basement ramp every morning without any judder.

The Exedy clutch packing. I'm not sure that this is the stage 1 clutch though. Its probably some sort of OEM replacement clutch.

Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch-exedy01.jpg

Part nos:

Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch-exedy02.jpgDoes the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch-exeddy03.jpg

The stock clutch which was changed at 88260km. This is probably a record for a stock Swift clutch. My MASS guys told me that their previous record holder had managed to cover 44k km before replacing the clutch.

Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch-stock01.jpg
Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch-stock02.jpg
Roy.S is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 01:55   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
After suffering the stock clutch on my Swift Vxi for 4 years and almost 90k km, I finally changed over to an Exedy clutch. The difference in drivability has to be experienced to be believed. The juddering which had started when the car was less than three months old is gone. In fact, my driving style had changed so much to accomodate the eccentricities of the stock clutch that I find it a little difficult to cope with the refinement of the Exedy.
How much did the whole thing (part + labour cost)?
Quote:

The stock clutch which was changed at 88260km. This is probably a record for a stock Swift clutch. My MASS guys told me that their previous record holder had managed to cover 44k km before replacing the clutch.
My 2007 Swift VXI-ABS has done 60000 kms - I have the judder problem you mention, but my power, fuel efficiency etc are fine - so have no plans to replace my clutch anytime soon.
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 02:14   #216

Default New Swift - Clutch Pedal Problem

Bought a new swift ZDI in Nov.'11. While the car in total is fabulous, have been experiencing the follwoing peculiar problem...

1. From the date of purchase, have been experiencing the clutch pedal vibrating / pulsating when you keep your foot on it lightly; this is the same even while driving at all gears, clutch pedal has a distinct pulsating feeling. This has resulted in a sore left foot. You had to keep the foot on the pedal very gently without pushing it down, you will notice this in new swift.

2. Went to MSM in Chennai after experiencing another workshop which stated that all diesel vehicles have this pulsating clutch. Thankfully MSM had changed the clutch plate on warrantly; by then the vehicle has done 5500 kms. No difference even after the change of clutch plates, the pulsating feeling continues to remain.

3. Drove old Swifts and didnt get this feeling, TD new swifts and I get this pulsating clutch pedal.

Also noticed that the horn noise vibrations are felt in the accelerator pedal, not sure whether it has to do with bad bushes... even the accelerator pedal leaves a sore foot after a long drive, there is a severe pushback on the pedals from the engine bay.

Something not right with the new swift diesel or am I being too critical...

Checking whether my case is unique... thanks for reading.
Priyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 02:28   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
How much did the whole thing (part + labour cost)?

My 2007 Swift VXI-ABS has done 60000 kms ...
@carboy, I think it was about 7k. I got lots of stuff done so I'm a bit hazy on the cost of just the clutch job. 60k km is pretty good. A swift clutch that lasts more than 45k km probably has more to do with careful driving and does not in any way indicate a superior product. I would recommend that you change the clutch at about 75k km. I would have changed it then, but got a bit obsessed with seeing how many km I could push the OEM clutch.
Looking at the pic of my old clutch, how much longer do you think I could have driven with it? The MASS guys said 'about 500km at the most', but I do feel that I could have done another 3k - 5k km easily.
Roy.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 03:00   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A swift clutch that lasts more than 45k km probably has more to do with careful driving and does not in any way indicate a superior product.
This was the first car I have driven with a stick shift. All the cars I have driven before this were automatics - so I learnt to drive a stick on this. However, I rarely do the half clutch thing. A a driver also drove the car around 6000 kms in between.

However, I have faced the judder issue from beginning.
Old 7th March 2012, 08:17   #219
BHPian

Quote:
After driving almost a thousand km on the Exedy, it still amazes me that I can drive my car up the basement ramp every morning without any judder.

Hi,

Where did you get the Clutch Job done?
I am in for a clutch overhaul for my Swift VXi 2006 and might end up replacing the entire clutch system. Pity its just 10k kms after the previous replacement.
prateek_ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 09:15   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The Exedy clutch packing. I'm not sure that this is the stage 1 clutch though. Its probably some sort of OEM replacement clutch.

Few questions
- What's a stage 1 clutch?
- What all do you have to change while changing the clutch - i.e. what are the different sub-parts?
- What was the cost of getting the thing done - parts + labour?
- Where did you get it done?
Old 7th March 2012, 12:36   #221
BHPian

Well somehow dont know how I missed this thread.

My Swift ZXI has covered 63K kms till date and has been driven mostly in city, and that too quiet carefully as I being the only one who drives it all the time.

However the stock clutch which came with the car lasted me only around 49K kms only and that too when I dont rip the car that much and am very careful driving it.

Anyways there wasnt much I could do and it got replaced after the supervisor at Maruti Naraina pointed out the hardness in it can only be resolved by going in for a new clutch.
I agreed to it and there went the new clutch with new flywheel etc.... and guess what now after covering close to 20 K kms, I am back to the same problem with the hardness in the clutch. I mean are the stock clutch from MGA just worth 20K kms only that too in city driving and also sedate driving.

I have been driving now for more than 10 yrs and this is the first time I am facing this issue.

I would really like to know which is the best possible solution to this so that I dont have to keep changing it again and again which I am tired off honestly.

Also any better options which guys here would have tried which resulted in better life of clutch, any better brands than MGA.

Any good places in Delhi where the job can be done with better results and clean work, I am somehow not getting too much inclined this time around to go to Maruti Nariana.

Last edited by invincible7 : 7th March 2012 at 12:41.
invincible7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 12:41   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
Also any better options which guys here would have tried which resulted in better life of clutch, any better brands than MGA.
The best option for a Swift is the Exedy Stage 1 clutch. Slightly expensive when compared to a stock clutch but great life span. Go for the complete Stage 1 clutch kit which comprises of the clutch plate, pressure plate and releaser bearing. Don't change only the clutch plate.

Last edited by vikram_d : 7th March 2012 at 12:43.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 12:45   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
The best option for a Swift is the Exedy Stage 1 clutch. Slightly expensive when compared to a stock clutch but great life span. Go for the complete Stage 1 clutch kit which comprises of the clutch plate, pressure plate and releaser bearing. Don't change only the clutch plate.
Thanks Vikram, how much is the Exedy clutch stage 1 and is it hard to operate of is as soft as the new OEM clutch.

What is the avg life expectancy of the Exedy, I know this is tricky given the fact that it depends on driving style but for an average Joe who doesnt rips the car much.
Old 7th March 2012, 12:52   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
Thanks Vikram, how much is the Exedy clutch stage 1 and is it hard to operate of is as soft as the new OEM clutch.

What is the avg life expectancy of the Exedy, I know this is tricky given the fact that it depends on driving style but for an average Joe who doesnt rips the car much.
To be honest I am not too sure about the current price as I have not bought it in the last 4 - 5 years. When I last bought this clutch it was costing around 11 - 12k. Operation wise it is as soft as a new OEM clutch.

Life expectency varies from person to person, but on my turbo swift this clutch lasted me 60,000 kms. Out of these 35k kms were done with my car being turbo charged and a trip to Leh from Bangalore. The rest 25k kms were done with the stock engine.

So on a stock Swift I would say they should easily last 80,000 to one lakh kilometres.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 12:59   #225
BHPian

Thanks Vikram, well that sounds good if the Exedy lasts that much that too on a turbo swift. Well I am game to go for this in my next change which may happen in around a months time as the clutch is getting hard and the car is not pulling how it should.

Well out of this current topic can you also help me with what is the life expectancy of the disc rotors on an ABS equipped vehicle, I have got it replaced twice in the 63K kms as the reason given was they last 35K max for ABS equipped ones. I could also see the worn out disc rotors when they were getting replaced and the braking had become poor aswell.