Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th April 2012, 11:30   #241
BHPian

Default Re: Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch

I have been driving a Swift VDi for almost 3 years and 88000kms now, of which 15000+ kms is with a remap and a cold air intake, and i still havnt faced any clutch issues. Infact, everytime my car has gone for service after 60000kms, i have been advised to keep the clutch till next service as it still has juice left in it. I must also mention that my car sees B-roads 70% of the time, and travels to nearby states very often. It is also driven with enthusiasm most of the time (especially after the mods).
Also, my moms dzire has done over a lakh kms without a clutch change yet. I know of swifts with similar mileage who still havnt had work done on the clutch. So i do not think it has a weak clutch, it all comes down to the driving.
satya180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 11:45   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satya180 View Post
I have been driving a Swift VDi for almost 3 years and 88000kms now, of which 15000+ kms is with a remap and a cold air intake, and i still havnt faced any clutch issues.
Also, my moms dzire has done over a lakh kms without a clutch change yet. I know of swifts with similar mileage who still havnt had work done on the clutch. So i do not think it has a weak clutch, it all comes down to the driving.
Satya,
I am assuming both are Diesel engines. I think the issue is more seen in petrol variants as the clutch is different in diesels?

For my Swift, had the clutch replaces at around 30K Kms, have done 15K Kms more and already feel the clutch wearing out. I am thinking of moving to Exedy Stage-I, if it comes to replacing this clutch.

thanks
Siva
kshivaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 12:28   #243
BHPian

Siva,
Yes both are diesels. When asked about performance clutches, a lot of people told me that they would be useful only for racing application, drag starts only. for regular usage, stock clutch is best.
satya180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 12:46   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post
Guys,

I roasted the clutch in my Swift Vxi for the 3rd time in 85k. There's no problem in my driving style as I have been driving my other two cars (Fiesta 1.6 & Chevy Spark) equally. These cars never had any clutch problems!

Is the Pressure plate and Flywheel an integral part of the clutch system, or just replacing the clutch plate would do? The MASS people insist on changing the entire set (Rs 10k with labour)

I am on the same boat as you Akash, my first clutch change happened at 48K i think and now I am on 67 K and the clutch has already gone and it needs a change, I got it changed from Maruti Services MASS @ Nariana where my car is serviced always. I believe they did a very shoddy job at that time with the clutch replacement.

I am not sure what Maruti is doing about this, if there are soo many issues with the stock cluth for Petrol variant.

The options left with me are either go for stock clutch again which one would again never know how many kms it will last or go for a beefed up variant i.e. Exedy stage 1 which is also expensive to be honest in comparison with the stock one.

Last edited by invincible7 : 25th April 2012 at 12:47.
invincible7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 12:57   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
I think its suggested to complete the entire set for better results.
Quote:
Guys,

I roasted the clutch in my Swift Vxi for the 3rd time in 85k. There's no problem in my driving style as I have been driving my other two cars (Fiesta 1.6 & Chevy Spark) equally. These cars never had any clutch problems!

Is the Pressure plate and Flywheel an integral part of the clutch system, or just replacing the clutch plate would do? The MASS people insist on changing the entire set (Rs 10k with labour)
It is always recommended to change the whole set except flywheel. Flywheel replacement is only when the flywheel is worn thin.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 10:16   #246
BHPian

Guys
One quick question will half clutch especially in signal start stop given city driving traffic volume cause this issue. My mech told me my clutch has an issue but I did not find any problem in loss of power or slippage or RPM dip. However after service ( told them to add additives for gear oil) the gear is smoother which i initially thought was a clutch issues. Mine is VDI and done 22K till now.

Cheers
Prasad
Dieseldunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 13:08   #247
BHPian

Post Re: Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
I am on the same boat as you Akash, my first clutch change happened at 48K i think and now I am on 67 K and the clutch has already gone and it needs a change, I got it changed from Maruti Services MASS @ Nariana where my car is serviced always. I believe they did a very shoddy job at that time with the clutch replacement.

I am not sure what Maruti is doing about this, if there are soo many issues with the stock cluth for Petrol variant.

The options left with me are either go for stock clutch again which one would again never know how many kms it will last or go for a beefed up variant i.e. Exedy stage 1 which is also expensive to be honest in comparison with the stock one.
Quote:
Guys,

i have a similar story to this in my Petrol Vxi Dzire. The gearbox bearing is making strange noises whenever the clutch is depressed. I got my vehicle serviced at Motorcraft (Noida) and the SA told me to either get the entire set changed or to keep it running like this (he assured me that no damage would be done to any othe part of the car). My car is at 36k kms (in 3 yrs) and told me that i can keep this running like this for another 10-15k kms.

He also told me that this was replaceable had my car been under warranty (no, i did not opt for extended warranty )

Now here is the twist - i showed the car to my garage mechanic and he told me that all that needs to be done is either to get the gearbox bearings changed (should not cost more than Rs. 1000 + labour) or if i am in luck just grease the bearings and it will be fine. When i communicated this to the Motorcraft SA he said in a vague tone that they can also do the same and the issue will be solved. When i asked why he did not suggest me this before, he answered "Company Policy". Now we know how Maruti mints money.

Though i still needs suggestion from you guys if i should opt for the service rather than the replacement.
prashant316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 13:24   #248
BHPian

Well it it will surely resolve your issue as per your interaction with the outside garage, you can try it since its much cheaper option than changing the entire clutch.
invincible7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 09:56   #249
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Need some help/advise.

My 2012 Swift Petrol VXI has run about 3k kms. From around 1000 kms, there has been a consistent squeaking noise from the clutch. That is, whenever I change gears, and RELEASE the clutch, there is a distinct squeaking noise at the time that the clutch is being released.

The other thing to be noted is that if the clutch is released very gradually (for instance when starting to roll from 1st gear), the sound cannot be heard. Whereas, when there is a quick clutch action (such as when shifting from 2 to 3, or 3 to 4) the sound is there.

There is otherwise no problems in shifting gears- shift action and clutch action are both trademark Swift-smooth.

What could be the problem? What is the squeaking sound attributable to? Should I wait till 2nd service to get it checked, or should I have t checked pronto?

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 17th May 2012 at 09:57.
arindambasu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 18:21   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
After suffering the stock clutch on my Swift Vxi for 4 years and almost 90k km, I finally changed over to an Exedy clutch. The difference in drivability has to be experienced to be believed. The juddering which had started when the car was less than three months old is gone. In fact, my driving style had changed so much to accomodate the eccentricities of the stock clutch that I find it a little difficult to cope with the refinement of the Exedy.
After driving almost a thousand km on the Exedy, it still amazes me that I can drive my car up the basement ramp every morning without any judder.

The Exedy clutch packing. I'm not sure that this is the stage 1 clutch though. Its probably some sort of OEM replacement clutch.

Attachment 889311

Part nos:

Attachment 889312Attachment 889313

The stock clutch which was changed at 88260km. This is probably a record for a stock Swift clutch. My MASS guys told me that their previous record holder had managed to cover 44k km before replacing the clutch.

Attachment 889314
Attachment 889315
With guidance from Roy.S today I replaced maruti clutch with Exedy oem (japan) replacement on my swift at Pace Auto in Aarti nagar, Blr.

The new clutch has 6 springs compared to 4 springs on maruti clutch (see first pic)
Job was done is about 3 hours.

Although my old clutch still had some life left at 43K, besides occasional judder, i decided to replace it anyway. The new Exedy replacement is definitely softer yet firm and it does not feel jerky anymore. Yet to drive more.
Attached Images

Last edited by aerohit : 22nd June 2012 at 18:26.
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 17:01   #251

i had my Swift Vxi's clutch plates replaced about a year back (at about 30K) and in my latest service at 40K, the SA felt that the clutch was not fine and suggested replacement of the whole clutch system including the new clutch plates. Not sure if that was necessary, i asked him to see if he can retain the clutch plates, he mumbled something about it being too much of a hassle for them to work on and me to use them. Somehow i was not convinced that those clutch plates couldn't have been re-used.

This was at Surakshaa car care, bommanahalli Bangalore. Based on the good feedback on this forum (and specially since it was mentioned that they don't suggest parts replacement unless needed) i gave them the benefit of doubt and got the whole thing replaced. Any thoughts on this?
shekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2012, 18:38   #252
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

I am noticing a strange problem with my swift petrol which is 5 yr old and has run 49k

When i press clutch to change gear i am observing sudden acceleration. This feels scary when i downshifting and vehicle jumps forward instead of slowing down

However the problem goes away after 10-15 mins. But i am not sure how it is linked to cold engine

This happened couple of times and getting me worried.
I have never had issues with clutch apart from few shudders on steep inclines during jam.

Are these signs of clutch going weak? How to detect when i should replace the clutch?
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2012, 10:53   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I am noticing a strange problem with my swift petrol which is 5 yr old and has run 49k

When i press clutch to change gear i am observing sudden acceleration. This feels scary when i downshifting and vehicle jumps forward instead of slowing down

However the problem goes away after 10-15 mins. But i am not sure how it is linked to cold engine

This happened couple of times and getting me worried.
I have never had issues with clutch apart from few shudders on steep inclines during jam.

Are these signs of clutch going weak? How to detect when i should replace the clutch?
This morning i observed the same problem again, although very less and it went away in few mins

It felt like the accelerator pedal gets stuck. so even when i take my foot from accelerator it takes some time before it stops accelerating. In the last 5 years this has happened only 2-3 times

I want to get some technical inputs before i go to service center, as i fear they might simply try to fleece me otherwise
Old 31st July 2012, 12:05   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
This morning i observed the same problem again, although very less and it went away in few mins

It felt like the accelerator pedal gets stuck. so even when i take my foot from accelerator it takes some time before it stops accelerating. In the last 5 years this has happened only 2-3 times

I want to get some technical inputs before i go to service center, as i fear they might simply try to fleece me otherwise
This does not sound like a problem with the clutch. This problem can occur with a dirty throttle body or a faulty accelerator cable. Get those checked first.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2012, 12:15   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
This does not sound like a problem with the clutch. This problem can occur with a dirty throttle body or a faulty accelerator cable. Get those checked first.
Thanks alot. Even i am suspecting something with Throttle. That is why i wanted to be very sure before giving it for service.

Is there anything specific we can ask them to do while service ?
Like spark plug clean, break cleaning, clutch cable adjustment .. I never came across any regular checklist for throttle .