Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2012, 13:23   #256
Senior - BHPian
 
vikram_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,380
Thanked: 936 Times
Default Re: Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Thanks alot. Even i am suspecting something with Throttle. That is why i wanted to be very sure before giving it for service.

Is there anything specific we can ask them to do while service ?
Like spark plug clean, break cleaning, clutch cable adjustment .. I never came across any regular checklist for throttle .
You can ask them for throttle body cleaning since your car has done close to 50k kms. Nothing else is needed if eveything else is fine.
vikram_d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2012, 13:48   #257
BHPian
 
mempheS.D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 536
Thanked: 209 Times
Default Re: Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch

I'll try not to be OT although I do understand this thread is dedicated to a Swift. My question is specific to the 'clutch' part of this thread.

I'm usually a sedate driver doing about 100kms of driving (at max) in a week within the city. Although at times I do redline on BETL along an empty stretch if available, to please the demon gods who reside within me.

Of lately, I'm noticing that after redlining, the clutching-in, which is usually very smooth, starts to jitter a bit almost like the feeling of a clutch cable in a bike that is weak and about to give-in. Ironically, everything is back nice and smooth after say a few kilometres of sedate driving. Can someone tell me whether this is a symptom of a disease that's growing from within the tranny? Or is is this a pattern in which all clutches behave after being squeezed out?
mempheS.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 14:49   #258
BHPian
 
mempheS.D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 536
Thanked: 209 Times
Default Re: Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
I'll try not to be OT although I do understand this thread is dedicated to a Swift. My question is specific to the 'clutch' part of this thread.

I'm usually a sedate driver doing about 100kms of driving (at max) in a week within the city. Although at times I do redline on BETL along an empty stretch if available, to please the demon gods who reside within me.

Of lately, I'm noticing that after redlining, the clutching-in, which is usually very smooth, starts to jitter a bit almost like the feeling of a clutch cable in a bike that is weak and about to give-in. Ironically, everything is back nice and smooth after say a few kilometres of sedate driving. Can someone tell me whether this is a symptom of a disease that's growing from within the tranny? Or is is this a pattern in which all clutches behave after being squeezed out?
Darn. Did I get dejected ? Can someone offer an opinion please?
mempheS.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 23:06   #259
BHPian
 
prashant316's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 183
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch

Alright, here is another story. My Swift Dzire has just required a clutch plate + pressure plate + gearbox bearings + clutch bearings replacement at just 40000 KMS

I will be taking the delivery of the car tomorrow and post some pics of the old clutch plate. since I am not an expert on this, I need you guys to help me on whether I have been duped by the service centre or did they really need a replacement.

My total cost of service this time was about Rs. 20000, which also includes a Rs. 5000 bumper replacement.
prashant316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2012, 13:37   #260
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,457
Thanked: 282 Times
Default Re: Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch

My Swift petrol has done around 65000 kms & I think I have a clutch problem now.

I have CNG installed (for almost a year and a half now).

But recently (10 days back) I have started feeling a huge power shortage. It's very uncomfortable driving in the lower gears - it seems as if the car is out of breath. It's a little better in 4th & 5th gear.

I start the car in Petrol & then change to CNG after a short while. However, if I am at signal & stationary & the engine is already running on CNG, there seems to be hardly enough power to move the car in the 1st gear.

Now, my first thought is that it's a CNG tuning problem. So I tried to drive on petrol. Petrol is obviously better, but since I have hardly driven on petrol for a year & a half, I don't remember the kind of response I used to get on petrol earlier. However, my gut feel is that the power is lesser on Petrol also.

My CNG average has also gone down. I used to get around 150-160 kms on 7.5 kg. Now I get 120-130 kms. This is for the last 3-4 fill ups.

So my question is
- Does this sound like a clutch problem?
- If not what else could it be?
- If yes, how can I confirm if it's a clutch problem - is there a fool proof test for identifying clutch issue
- If it's a clutch issue - what all need to be replaced - the whole clutch assembly consists of several things right?

Last edited by carboy : 30th September 2012 at 13:52.
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2012, 14:34   #261
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 7,402
Thanked: 4,679 Times
Default Re: Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch

You could try the crude way of trying to start moving in third gear from standstill (instead of first / second gear) with the handbrake on. If the car does not stall straigtaway, the clutch is most likely gone.

Other than that, if you remember a particular speed-rpm-gear combination from before you could check if the speed-gear is reached at the same RPM. If the RPM has increased, then the clutch is slipping.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2012, 14:37   #262
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,457
Thanked: 282 Times
Default Re: Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
You could try the crude way of trying to start moving in third gear from standstill (instead of first / second gear) with the handbrake on. If the car does not stall straigtaway, the clutch is most likely gone.
OK. I'll try this. If it's indeed a clutch problem, should I not drive it at all or can I drive it for a couple of days before getting it fixed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Other than that, if you remember a particular speed-rpm-gear combination from before you could check if the speed-gear is reached at the same RPM. If the RPM has increased, then the clutch is slipping.
Unfortunately, I don't remember any such combination.
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2012, 14:40   #263
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 7,402
Thanked: 4,679 Times
Default Re: Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch

Oh yes, you can wait.

You can also find out the combination from someone else who owns a Swift with similar mileage.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2012, 18:54   #264
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,457
Thanked: 282 Times
Default Re: Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
You could try the crude way of trying to start moving in third gear from standstill (instead of first / second gear) with the handbrake on. If the car does not stall straigtaway, the clutch is most likely gone.
I tried this. Put the hand brake & put the car in 3rd gear. Then released the clutch & pressed the accelerator. Car doesn't shut down unless I release the accelerator (i.e. no accelerator pressed). Till the accelerator is pressed, the car either remains standing or moves ahead a tiny bit (didn't try more - don't want it to break down right now).

So, this is surely a clutch problem now, right?
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2012, 19:33   #265
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 7,402
Thanked: 4,679 Times
Default Re: Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post

So, this is surely a clutch problem now, right?

Most likely yes, but let one of the tech gurus confirm
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 08:19   #266
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,457
Thanked: 282 Times
Default Re: Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Most likely yes, but let one of the tech gurus confirm
None of the gurus seem to be interested in this thread :(

Yes was really bad. My first drive more than 5-10 kms since the problem started. Hard a 25 km drive in the morning and the return trip in the evening. Was like driving a bullock cart. Sometimes felt that pushing the car would be a better option. Even on petrol, it was a little better than CNG, but still pretty bad. I even tried switching off AC, but not much diff.

I am not sure, but I got the feeling that as the drive kept on, it got much worse. I stopped and rested for a few minutes 2-3 times during the return 25 kms.

So gurus, is this surely a clutch issue? Is there a differential diagnosis? Not planning to drive (for anything more a couple of kms) till I get this fixed.
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 09:14   #267
Distinguished - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,256
Thanked: 4,979 Times
Default Re: Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch

If it is an issue that serious, where you are facing severe shortage, then there must also be noticeable clutch slip, that increases as the engine speed increases. Else there is no reason why you will face a power drop that is suspected to be caused by the clutch.

No expert, but I have played around with an omni clutch abused and fried at 67k kms. In its last states, the car was nearly a CVT.

As I suppose you have a tacho in your car, just slot into any gear, starting from the first. Let go of the clutch completely and then floor the accelarator. If the engine note rises before you pick up speed, the clutch is slipping. Also any sudden throttle input will immediately show a rise in engine Rpm much before your car accelarates. Also 65k in city traffic is quite good for a clutch IMO as in bangalore we have an avg life of 50k kms.

The clutch kit consists of clutch disc and cover, pressure plate ajd release bearing. Flywheel change is advised, but not necessary if the flywheel ain't damaged.
audioholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 09:21   #268
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,457
Thanked: 282 Times
Default Re: Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
If it is an issue that serious, where you are facing severe shortage, then there must also be noticeable clutch slip, that increases as the engine speed increases. Else there is no reason why you will face a power drop that is suspected to be caused by the clutch.

No expert, but I have played around with an omni clutch abused and fried at 67k kms. In its last states, the car was nearly a CVT.

As I suppose you have a tacho in your car, just slot into any gear, starting from the first. Let go of the clutch completely and then floor the accelarator. If the engine note rises before you pick up speed, the clutch is slipping. Also any sudden throttle input will immediately show a rise in engine Rpm much before your car accelarates.
I am pretty sure this happened a few times yesterday. I got sick of driving the bailgadi & pressed the acccl hard a few times after shifting gears. The tacho went beyond 4 & accl noise happened with very little difference in speed of car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Also 65k in city traffic is quite good for a clutch IMO as in bangalore we have an avg life of 50k kms.

The clutch kit consists of clutch disc and cover, pressure plate ajd release bearing. Flywheel change is advised, but not necessary if the flywheel ain't damaged.
What would be the approx cost of the whole thing with and without flywheel including labour charges if I get it done at a MASS? What's the average life of a flywheel? What other stuff will the MASS try to fool me for - any kind of oil which they need to drain etc before they do this change?

And how complicated a work is the above? Do I need to take it to a dealer or just one of the regular MASS not attached to a dealer?

Last edited by carboy : 2nd October 2012 at 09:45.
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 09:52   #269
Distinguished - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,256
Thanked: 4,979 Times
Default Re: Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch

Then its surely the clutch. Without flywheel the whole job would be around 5k rupees at MASS. As long as your car is regularly serviced, you need not do anything else for the car. Just tell them you need a new clutch. Clutch overhaul is a regular job by most dealers as well as MASS. But I would suggest a dealer. Costs arent different as long as you are alert enough so as to not get additional and unnecessary work done.
audioholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 10:29   #270
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,457
Thanked: 282 Times
Default Re: Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Then its surely the clutch. Without flywheel the whole job would be around 5k rupees at MASS. As long as your car is regularly serviced, you need not do anything else for the car. Just tell them you need a new clutch. Clutch overhaul is a regular job by most dealers as well as MASS. But I would suggest a dealer. Costs arent different as long as you are alert enough so as to not get additional and unnecessary work done.
Took it to CarKraft - 'A" type MASS. Main reason is because its the closest.
He said flywheel change is also usually necessary and everything would cost 6500-7000 Rs. He said flywheel usually gets unbalanced by this time. Will get the car back in the evening.
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti using weak engine mounts? commonman Technical Stuff 4 12th January 2017 23:24
Swift D-Clutch/Gear Problem : Competent Motors unable to solve the clutch shudder Eddy Technical Stuff 48 8th September 2013 23:03
Ikon 1.6 with weak clutch takes us to Darjeeling and a few forests of North Bengal. 1100D Travelogues 99 16th August 2009 10:43
Weak clutch on Esteem - Car speed not matching engine RPM gaurav.28ch Technical Stuff 2 26th November 2008 17:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks