Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th October 2012, 08:47   #271
BHPian

Default Re: Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by zensure View Post
I thought of sharing my experience with the Swift (Petrol) Clutch.

My Swift VXi is May 2006 make. Completed 34K KMs about a week back

Last week while driving back from Mangalore, noticed the problem, after driving about 200KM -- vehicle being resisted, something like some braking power exerted. Checked all the basic stuff like, tyre pressure, brake, check if the vehicle goes on straight line without the hand on steering. All seemed to be okay. Then checked this: while hands-off the steering, apply brake and see if it stops straight -- just to ensure that tyre pressure and alignment is alright (of course, this won't be an effective test, since my car has ABS, it would do so anyway) and no problem. In summary, I felt something is pulling the car back, offering something like brake resistance, though I could not see any obvious noticeable signs of issues. My father-in-law who was with me too experience the same.

However, there is no noticeable change in RPM for the speeds I were in and none of the diagnostics light had come on!

When I came to Bangalore, checked the mileage -- it was about 14KM/ltr! So it wasn't just a perception, but real. Normally I get with my kind of driving about 16-16.5KM/ltr for Mangalore-Bangalore trip, even with driving thru' Shiradi Ghat hard Trail not withstanding.

Checked the pressure and did the wheel alignment after I came back to Bangalore-- everything was normal. In Bangalore city I used to get about 13KM/ltr. Now it dropped about 9-10 KM, in city driving!

Took the car to Bimal service station -- SA suspected it to be clutch issue, though he never acknowledged that there is any resistance issue. He recommended to replace the clutch system. I used to have occasional issues of struggle to engage the 1st gear and reverse gear which would be fine after the service. All along SA had told me that it is nothing serious and can be fixed and it was so after the service. However, I listened to the SA this time, since I used to get judder in 1st and 2nd gear, for the last 4K-5K Km or so, though I am not convinced that the "resistance" issue has anything to do with the clutch. So changed the clutch anyway, yesterday. Along with did the throttle body cleaning and brake assembly cleaning. Need to check if it has fixed the problem. Hopefully it does.

hi,

you have mentioned that the service advisor had suggested replacement of the clutch. did it work? if not then how did you resolve the issue?

i have been facing this issue for the past year and none of the MASS have been able to resolve it.
prateek_ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 09:07   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zensure View Post
I thought of sharing my experience with the Swift (Petrol) Clutch.

My Swift VXi is May 2006 make. Completed 34K KMs about a week back.........
vehicle being resisted, something like some braking power exerted.
Did you check your handbrake for any sort of stickiness?
I too have a swift, 2005 December make, that had cloaked 39K. I have not had any clutch problems so far.
The weak clutch feeling is attributable to the very low, low end torque of this engine.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 09:12   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
I too have a swift, 2005 December make, that had cloaked 39K. I have not had any clutch problems so far.
The weak clutch feeling is attributable to the very low, low end torque of this engine.
I think brakes can be ruled out as the car rolls freely when slotted in neutral without any resistance.
has to be some component in the tranny.
Old 25th October 2012, 10:19   #274

Hi there

Yes, the clutch replacement fixed both -- judder and mileage issues. It indeed was the clutch issue

regds

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateek_ch View Post
hi,

you have mentioned that the service advisor had suggested replacement of the clutch. did it work? if not then how did you resolve the issue?

i have been facing this issue for the past year and none of the MASS have been able to resolve it.
Quote:
zensure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 13:48   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateek_ch View Post
I think brakes can be ruled out as the car rolls freely when slotted in neutral without any resistance.
has to be some component in the tranny.
Check the Air Filter. A clogged filter can result the engine to starve
resulting in loss of power.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 08:21   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Check the Air Filter. A clogged filter can result the engine to starve
resulting in loss of power.
That was one of the first steps done
Old 31st October 2012, 20:11   #277
BHPian

My experience with the Swift Clutch in a Zxi, Driver driven most of the time:

First Approx 43,000 Kms - Single Clutch (original). The car started to shudder a bit in lower gears, A.S.S. said the clutch is worn out. At this point my mileage had dropped to 10 Kmpl.

Change of clutch, and now at 57,000 Kms - The Clutch has become very hard (compared to an Ertiga/ i20), mileage of 12 Kmpl. However A.S.S. comments that the hardness is normal, and as I have a driver, it should benefit me in keeping the clutch have a longer life. Does this make sense?

Also, I paid approx 7K for a clutch change at an A.S.S. What would be the cost at a generic workshop?

My mileage figures are pure city driving, peak hour, Mumbai traffic, please keep the same in mind.
latentpotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 17:00   #278

I had to replace the clutch plate for my 2011 Dzire VXI at 14,000 KMs :(

I do not ride the clutch as my routine travel does not take me to high traffic roads. I am not sure how the clutch plate got worn off so fast!!

The symptoms were the same as "zensure" had mentioned, as if there was a lot of resistance while driving. I checked alignment, tyre pressure etc etc before I took it to the service station and they found that the clutch was weak. Total cost of repairs was at 4.8 k.

The issue is resolved now, but the heaviness in the heart still prevails :(
Desperadoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 08:56   #279
BHPian

I have a Swift Zxi with 60K on the odo. Clutch was replaced at 45K due to mileage and shuddering issues, and now the clutch has become VERY hard - akin to a old diesel car. The knee literally aches after 15-20 mins of driving on normal roads. A outside mechanic has suggested clutch and bearing as the issue, and the MASS is also suggesting a full replacement again. Is it possible to change only the bearing or the plate as is required or both come as a set? Should I go for OEM or aftermarket clutch? The car is 70% driver used, 20% by wife & mom, 10% by me. None ride the clutch, as all are experienced drivers.
Old 17th August 2013, 09:09   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
I have a Swift Zxi with 60K on the odo. Clutch was replaced at 45K due to mileage and shuddering issues, and now the clutch has become VERY hard - akin to a old diesel car. The knee literally aches after 15-20 mins of driving on normal roads.
Were you conned by the MASS the last time you changed the clutch kit? We had a similar complaint with out Omni. Clutch was changed at around 40k kms as we had complaints of juddering and a hard pedal. They charged us for all the parts. However the same problem appeared at nearly 50k kms and they suggested another overhaul citing traffic conditions as the reason for early wear. I suppose they had not changed all the components ans they might have changed only the release bearing and disc. After that we sold the car so not sure what happened. When stock clutch can last 45k, how can the new one get worn out so soon? I think they have done some mischief with the last clutch overhaul.
audioholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 09:54   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Were you conned by the MASS the last time you changed the clutch kit? We had a similar complaint with out Omni. Clutch was changed at around 40k kms as we had complaints of juddering and a hard pedal. They charged us for all the parts. However the same problem appeared at nearly 50k kms and they suggested another overhaul citing traffic conditions as the reason for early wear. I suppose they had not changed all the components ans they might have changed only the release bearing and disc. After that we sold the car so not sure what happened. When stock clutch can last 45k, how can the new one get worn out so soon? I think they have done some mischief with the last clutch overhaul.
While I may not agree or disagree with you, this is a MASS MSM who we have been going for over 8 years now, across 3 cars, with the same SA across the same. I have never heard of them do such a thing before either.

So, does the hardness require a full replacement or only bearings or plate? Also what is the recommendation - OEM or aftermarket parts?
Old 16th September 2013, 16:11   #282
BHPian

I have Swift DZire Diesel ZDI and it has done 51000 km. I had a complete brakedown of clutch on road as it became totally free. I was able to change gear while pressing the clutch, but car was not moving. Had to get it towed to nearest dealer in Delhi. They suggested complete overhaul and changed Clutch plate, pressure plate, bearing and flywheel. With Rs. 3200 labor, it cost me whooping Rs 12K !
saurabhb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 17:53   #283
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhb2000 View Post
I have Swift DZire Diesel ZDI and it has done 51000 km. I had a complete brakedown of clutch on road as it became totally free. I was able to change gear while pressing the clutch, but car was not moving. Had to get it towed to nearest dealer in Delhi. They suggested complete overhaul and changed Clutch plate, pressure plate, bearing and flywheel. With Rs. 3200 labor, it cost me whooping Rs 12K !
Same problem with my Swift VDI at almost the same mileage. Luckily in my case, Maruti agreed to cover a part of it under warranty.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...h-shudder.html
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 18:38   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Same problem with my Swift VDI at almost the same mileage. Luckily in my case, Maruti agreed to cover a part of it under warranty.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...h-shudder.html

My car has exceeded the 2 years extended warranty period after initial warranty. Can I claim that benefit now
Old 20th September 2013, 11:52   #285
BHPian

Experts /Mod,

After having done clutch overhaul on my swift DZire Diesel at 51000km now, my service advisor at MASS tells me that we should use these gear/speed combinations for fuel efficiency

above 10kmph - 2nd Gear
above 20kmph - 3rd Gear
above 30kmph - 4th Gear
above 40kmph - 5th Gear

However when I try to use these combinations the RPM is pretty low(like switching to 5th gear at 40kmph - the RPM is just 1200). Is it advisable to drive at such low RPMs as I get a feeling that engine/car is stressed out to move at that RPM?

Helpful recommendations are requested to maintain longer clutch life and fuel efficiency. Thanks.