Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th April 2007, 16:36   #16
Team-BHP Support

LBM slippage means that sooner or later you are looking at new clutch plates.
From Ported's post it seems that apart from the springs, the clutch cable could be a cause.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 17:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
LBM slippage means that sooner or later you are looking at new clutch plates.
From Ported's post it seems that apart from the springs, the clutch cable could be a cause.
I was saying the slippage occurs when I am doing a drag.....but in normal usage it is perfectly fine..........it means the clutch is very weak one.....
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 17:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

Besides Ajmat, i guess a few more members in here have replaced the clutch on their Swift. I know another person here who's clutch got busted the same day as mine...and his car did some 6k kms i guess. And when i went to get it replaced, the engineer there told me that with proper usage it lasts for 25k kms which is very low compared to other cars. But since clutch wear also depends on each person's driving style, i don't think any MUL station will cover it under warranty.
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 18:01   #19
Team-BHP Support

It's funny how on another thread there are people congratulating Maruti for being proactive on the Diesel ECU issue, while Maruti continue's to brush off the obvious defect either in the actual quality of the clutch or the fitment process, which leads to premature wear.

No clutch should wear out at 5,000km's even under the foot of a shabby driver.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 18:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
How much does a new clutch/pressure plate for the Swift cost, inclusive of labour charges?
Rs 2900
Thats what Karthik paid for his clutch overhaul recently...
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 18:30   #21
Team-BHP Support

Rs.2,900 only? Thats extremely reasonable. So maybe Maruti are in fact covering part of the expenses?
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 18:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

Yes.. Its Rs.28xx actually including the clutch and labour charges!!!
Old 1st May 2007, 12:49   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Interesting topic, on saturday I was with a close friend & forum member Speedonline getting some ICE work done on his car. His Swift Petrol has done 26k and has severe clutch judder issues in city traffic, which I found quite surprising considering how less mileage the car had done & because he's a decent driver who doesn't ride the clutch. Even he was bothered a bit & is planning to take the car to the service centre to see if he can have it changed under warranty. It reminded me of the judder that my Santro had by the time I was about to sell it, difference being she had covered over 1L+ kms.

As for other cars, my mother's Santro has done over 80k on the original clutch while my OHC has done 137k.
Hey guys, Would be going to the workshop tomorrow for the clutch judder issues, lets see what the guys at Service Masters have to say about it.

Will keep you updated
speedonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 13:09   #24
BHPian

Hey guys any comments on this para in the owners manual
Quote:
(4) Limitation:
This warranty shall not apply to:
1. normal maintenance service required other than the three free services, including without limitation, oil and fluid changes, headlight aiming, fastener retightening, wheel balancing,wheel alignment and tyre rotation, cleaning of injectors,
adjustments of carburettor, ignition timing, clutch and valve clearance.
2. the replacement of normal wear parts including without limitation,bulbs, battery, tyres and tubes, spark plugs, belts,hoses, filters, wiper blades, brushes, contact points, fuses,clutch disc, brake shoes, brake pads, cable and all rubber
parts (except oil seal and glass run).
speedonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2007, 11:27   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
There are two members on this board (ajmat and Karthik) who had their swift clutch plates packing up within 5000kms
The Autocar test mule Swift Petrol also packed the clutch by 14000 kms.
I remember Maruti 800 used to have a weak clutch issue where slightly careless driving could pack the clutch plates around 25000kms.
But with the swift the case seems to be worse.
Also it appears that it may not be covered under warranty.
To put things in perspective, nicely driven cars wether its the honda city or the Tata indica, your clutch lasts atleast 70,000kms.
My own indica has seen very bad conditions for the clutch including hill driving etc., and at 80,000kms just the springs and bush kits for gear lever are showing their age, with clutch plates still in okay condition(no slippage etc.,).
There are members with cars done 120K+ on original clutch.
So swift owners, this question is for you. Are you facing clutch issues and plate slippage issues. If so did you get warranty coverage.
Also there will be some owners done 20K+ without issues, you can also post your inputs.
My Swift is 28k km old and i am facing problems with the clutch. The car 'judders' when clutch is released and its a real pain in the traffic. Specially if the car is loaded and u r driving uphill, the problem magnifies.

To my surprise, maruti guys told me its normal and that swift has never had clutch problems (Rohan Noida guys). I m planning to get my car inspected by some service centre as i read here so many Swift clutch problems..

Also, may be due to clutch problem the running of the car is harsh and the noise levels have increased...
akash_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2007, 23:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

I replaced my clutch recently while the car had done arnd 5000kms. Now i'm having issues with the new clutch as well...

When u rev upto the redline in a gear (usually 1st, 2nd) and shift, there is a lag....like the gear takes time to slot in. I dunno hw to explain but hope ya'll understand. Also the car shudders when u quickly let go of the clutch. I took it to MUL y'day and they checked with the handbrake-clutch relese way and said its fine n all, but i dunno hw much they can check that way. This clutch has done only 2100kms till now and already i'm having such probs and if it gets busted this time too i told them i need a replacement.

Could this be the basic fault with the OE clutch or could something else be causing it??
Old 22nd May 2007, 23:58   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247 View Post
I replaced my clutch recently while the car had done arnd 5000kms. Now i'm having issues with the new clutch as well...

Could this be the basic fault with the OE clutch or could something else be causing it??
I still have the OEM clutch and at 10000 kms it still feels like its got sufficient life to see my dog's grandpups.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2007, 00:05   #28
Senior - BHPian

I know its very strange.... maybe something else is causing it, but what???
Old 23rd May 2007, 03:15   #29
BHPian

There was a thread somewhere in the past related to a smell coming from the Swifts rear end , especially after a longish drive or from ones that have been driven hard.I think its gotto do something with the clutch. However, as time is passing by, we are realising that the Swift isn't all that "maruti-ish" afterall. It seems quality control is a weak link in Swift's case.The engine is bullet proof though.
Will the SX4 have similar issues? Production constraints seem to have taken a toll on the quality of Maruti's vehicles.
roms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2007, 05:45   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I still have the OEM clutch and at 10000 kms it still feels like its got sufficient life to see my dog's grandpups.
You've never been past 3000 rpm in your life.

Karthik, it's your clutch, no two ways about it.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote