Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 14th November 2007, 14:49   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
My swift has done 32000+ kms & I had recently observed that while releasing the clutch in 1st gear, it shudders. This happens only in 1st gear.

It's very difficult to drive in heavy city traffic conditions, where I need to engage 1st gear often or even stay in 1st gear for 200 or 300 mtrs. Even the passengers could feel the jolt.

I have a doubt, whether am I not releasing the clutch properly i.e holding the leg for more time with clutch pressed half way (not smoothly releasing it)

But the chances are less for the above as also I had driven my friends Swift extensively in such conditions and never faced that problem.

Is this a clutch problem?

Do I need to get it replaced or any workaround is possible.
This is not happening all the times, but only when the first gear is engaged for quiet some time (say in a dead slow moving traffic)

Checked with my service centre (Electra)) & they say cable adjustment and lubrication would do the job.

Throw my some light on this

Last edited by Surprise : 14th November 2007 at 14:52.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 12:37   #62

Default swift vxi gear and brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghutk View Post
I also had similar issues during first 1k kms. Now after running in for few more hundreds I feel it better. I think it gets resolved over the usage
I have run my Vxi for about 2K kms now. I also have faced the problem of gears not falling in place properly for the first gear and reverese gear. I checked with RNS services guys during first service and they told me that over time this will get resolved. Right now I do face the problem once in a while.

One more thing I noticed is about the brakes becoming very hard when engine is off and I have pressed the brakes a few times (first time this happened when I was going down a slope in long traffic jam - scared me like anything as the car did not respond and there was a brand new unregistered car in front! - luckily I was able to start the car and then these servo powered brakes responded - phew-).
SatishBalaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 13:25   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatishBalaram View Post

One more thing I noticed is about the brakes becoming very hard when engine is off and I have pressed the brakes a few times (first time this happened when I was going down a slope in long traffic jam - scared me like anything as the car did not respond and there was a brand new unregistered car in front! - luckily I was able to start the car and then these servo powered brakes responded - phew-).
You answered the problem yourself. Servo brakes only work with the engine on.

Tried a launch from one of the toll booths during my drive to Chennai - usually a Vtec thing I do. The Swift did not like it, and the clutch smelt. Wife and daughter were cursing.
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 20:03   #64
BHPian

hey people

my petrol swift is at 15000 km

i drive this car hard yeah :: and i mean HARD very freq redline ing

always very careful with the clutch though::never ride it , always completly press it etc even in traffic ::: i am a very busy driver in respect to clutch ,all pedals and gear control

and yes i do want more clamping power [ 1gear redline to 2nd gear it DOES lose RPM before it bites in ]

but apart from that no judders etc at all
& i LOVE the feel of it

LOVE it

just to say

peace
cy

ps
anyone on Exidy ? stage 1 or 2?

Last edited by cyneverdie : 16th November 2007 at 20:04.
cyneverdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 22:16   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have run my Vxi for about 2K kms now. I also have faced the problem of gears not falling in place properly for the first gear and reverese gear.
Get your clutch pressure plate checked completely before your warranty gets over.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2007, 21:08   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
You answered the problem yourself. Servo brakes only work with the engine on.
Well, If I remember right (from manual) the brakes work with 100% effectiveness if the engine is ON. Else with engine OFF the brakes are supposed to work minimally (it does as I have seen it myself multiple times).
With so many traffic jams during peak hours it would really help if the brakes work when engine is OFF.
SatishBalaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 09:33   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With so many traffic jams during peak hours it would really help if the brakes work when engine is OFF.
If Engine is Off then why would one need brakes? If at all you are in an inclined road and you fear of rolling back/forward then use Handbrake. rolling forward with Engine off in a slope is not advisable.
DieselFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 10:30   #68
BHPian

I can see what Satish is saying - even in a switched off car, there has to be some ply in the brakes. For example, a M800 didnt have servoed brakes, but was still able to stop. In the Swift, the brakes become rock-hard, and there's ZERO ply. That's what makes it scary. It doesnt happen very often, but when it does it makes you uneasy.
ballkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 10:44   #69
BHPian

Default Swift clutch is given to SX4??

If you remember, first two months SX4 production has clutch issue and it was told that these are coming from Swift, but for SX4 maruti modified something and then replaced in all delivered SX4.

I did not feel any issue in SX4 till 5k kms and so my neighbors having 2 yr old 15k km driven Swift LXI.

And breaks are hydraulic assisted and it will be very light while engine is ON and should behave like mechanical break while engine is OFF. Though harder to press, it works 100% in any case. (for Sx4)

Last edited by omishra : 19th November 2007 at 10:47.
omishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 02:48   #70
Senior - BHPian

well got my swift LDi DDiS delivered on 4th of this month, done only 58 kilometers, the down shift in the traffic to the 2nd and the 1st gears feel very hard,

also while normal driving, the gear lever seems to be moving with a jolt, when i accelerate, and they move back when i leave the accelerator!
feels like the gear rod bushes are faulty as i have seen this happen in my M800 earlier, the gear rod moves back and forth with respect to acceleration of the car, which was very noticeable and noisy, and they were resolved when i changed the gear rod bushes in my M800.

here in my swift its not noticed unless you drive with one hand on the gear rod while driving, and is not noisy.

so are these serious problems that might lead to early clutch wear? and will the notchy ness while the down shift be gone after first service? or does it really need attention now so that i dont furthur waste my time around MASS, the car is not even billed as we are waiting for the finance approval!
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 03:13   #71
Senior - BHPian

also forgot to add the reverse gear is very stubborn at times, will all of the shifting problems disappear if i change the transmission and/or the clutch oil?
Old 11th January 2008, 03:57   #72
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I own a swift vxi with ABS for the past 18 months and my car has done 22k. She is just amazing even today as she was the first day got. I have not had any probems with the clutch. But yes sometimes when i try to move the vehicle from a place where it had halted i get a squeaking noise for a couple of seconds and then it dissappears. This happens quite often. Especially when i take the car out in early mornings. Can i Know whats exactly wrong and why do i get this squeaking noise?
Torque123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 08:14   #73
Senior - BHPian

The swift definitely has a clutch issue. My vehicle has done 47 odd thousand kms and there was a period in between when I thought the clutch was in for replacement but after about 1000 odd kms of driving the clutch feels better now.

Another problem with clutch play is that our mechanics use the old method of pressing down on the clutch to check clutch play where as in the swift you actually need to lift the pedal upwards. So most of the times the clutch play adjustment is wrong.

My dad's car the clutch was replaced under warranty at 20000 kms but he used to ride the clutch.

Note: Normally my car is driven pretty sobely in town but it has had its fair share of enthusiastic drving and a few trackdays under the belt.

All said and done am planning to get the clutch changed at 50000 kms.
vikram_d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 13:35   #74
Senior - BHPian

people please reply fast i still have the chance of getting a vehicle replacement, if the vehicle is defective, l.e. the clutch and bushes!
Old 15th January 2008, 00:41   #75
Senior - BHPian

well okay! there are no replies to this but can some one at least tell me what could be the cost of replacing the gear synchronizers, clutch plate set and the bushes for the swift DDiS?

has some one had any experience on this?