Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 15th January 2008, 01:25   #76
Senior - BHPian

The hard shifting of gears normally eases out after the first service i.e. about a 1000 kms. If the problem persists after that then there is something wrong.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 01:40   #77
BHPian

My Swift VDI has clocked 22k's and still working cool
sajid33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 02:26   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Get your clutch pressure plate checked completely before your warranty gets over.
How long does the warranty on the clutch last?
Is it one year or more?
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 03:53   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
The hard shifting of gears normally eases out after the first service i.e. about a 1000 kms. If the problem persists after that then there is something wrong.
its not just the notchy shifts that are worrying me, its the possible synchronizer/ faulty bushes problem! read the entire thing that i posted previously and do give your opinion on this!

"""well got my swift LDi DDiS delivered on 4th of this month, done only 58 kilometers, the down shift in the traffic to the 2nd and the 1st gears feel very hard,

also while normal driving, the gear lever seems to be moving with a jolt, when i accelerate, and they move back when i leave the accelerator!
feels like the gear rod bushes are faulty as i have seen this happen in my M800 earlier, the gear rod moves back and forth with respect to acceleration of the car, which was very noticeable and noisy, and they were resolved when i changed the gear rod bushes in my M800.

here in my swift its not noticed unless you drive with one hand on the gear rod while driving, and is not noisy.

so are these serious problems that might lead to early clutch wear? and will the notchy ness while the down shift be gone after first service? or does it really need attention now so that i dont furthur waste my time around MASS, the car is not even billed as we are waiting for the finance approval!"""
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 09:11   #80
Senior - BHPian

i have read your post. All swifts have a shifting problem till the first service. The gearbox needs to be run in. So wait till you clock a 1000kms. And then if the problem persists get it checked. Plus it is normal in a lot of vehicles for the gear lever to move forward and backward with acceleration and decelaration. My swift does that even now. Nothing to be worried about.
Old 15th January 2008, 17:51   #81
BHPian

Quote:
i have read your post. All swifts have a shifting problem till the first service. The gearbox needs to be run in. So wait till you clock a 1000kms. And then if the problem persists get it checked. Plus it is normal in a lot of vehicles for the gear lever to move forward and backward with acceleration and decelaration. My swift does that even now. Nothing to be worried about.

MY SWIFT NEVER HAD A SHIFTING PROBLEM EVEN BEFORE THE 1 ST SERVICE
&
Plus it is NOT normal in MY SWIFT for the gear lever to move forward and backward with acceleration and decelaration
cyneverdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 18:01   #82
Senior - BHPian

All gear levers move to a certain extent with acceleration and decelaration. Try it in your car with your hand off the gear lever. There will most certainly be some amount of movement.
Old 16th January 2008, 11:11   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All gear levers move to a certain extent with acceleration and decelaration. Try it in your car with your hand off the gear lever. There will most certainly be some amount of movement.

you might be correct, but then in my car its very much noticeable! and sort of annoys and worries me because its a new car!
Old 16th January 2008, 11:36   #84
Senior - BHPian

Since Swift has a indirect linkage, the gear lever SHOULD NOT MOVE.
srishiva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 23:45   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
can you please elaborate?, and if you mean the gear lever movement during the acceleration and deceleration is due to faulty equipment, then i might still have a chance to get my car replaced!

please do explain in detail!
Old 16th January 2008, 23:48   #86
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest that you first get the clutch play checked and adjusted. Most of the times on the swift the clutch play is to blame.
Old 17th January 2008, 00:03   #87
Senior - BHPian

@srishiva
the car with the issue here is diesel, DDiS, you are aware of that right?

@vikram_d
okay will get it checked tomorrow first thing in the morning!
and do you still suggest waiting till the run in if it is not corrected?

i am a little worried because i installed the alloys and 195/60-R15 tyres, and is the warranty going to be void because of this, since this is a diesel car and not directly made my suzuki, because in the past they seldom cared for the warranties on the diesel esteems and zens and they still dont offer warranty on the diesels of the 2nd hand true value cars!
Old 12th April 2008, 14:30   #88
BHPian

Default Does my Swift has weak clutch?

Today I take my car for a service and casually say the pick up is not as great as before, the service guy engages the hand break puts the swift in second gear and lets it roll, the car moves a bit and he pedals the clutch announcing the car should have stalled hence my swift suffers with a weak clutch. A weak clutch at 23000 . I was half serious about the loss in pick up. Then he announces the pickup could have suffered because of the exhaust (I have a complete automech FFE).

Folks, does the experiment this mechanic did make sense, my car did not stall on second gear while the hand break was engaged, whats your take on it.
dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2008, 20:30   #89
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Thats what I thought. every car I've driven has that movement of the gear lever. it will move when the drive train is loaded. thats normal, agreed it doesnt give a great feel, but I doubt if its a cause for concern.
@rider60- try driving a friends swift and see how that feels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
@srishiva- maybe you're right about the indirect linkage, but it is still linked to the drivetrain by some mechanical component which will transmit the torque up into the gear lever.

only extremely well machined components or fly by wire systems can remove gear lever movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysus View Post
Today I take my car for a service and casually say the pick up is not as great as before, the service guy engages the hand break puts the swift in second gear and lets it roll, the car moves a bit and he pedals the clutch announcing the car should have stalled hence my swift suffers with a weak clutch. A weak clutch at 23000 . I was half serious about the loss in pick up. Then he announces the pickup could have suffered because of the exhaust (I have a complete automech FFE).

Folks, does the experiment this mechanic did make sense, my car did not stall on second gear while the hand break was engaged, whats your take on it.
so do you have a loss in pickup or not?
at what rev ranges? what is the FFE tuned for? low and mid? or mid and high?

the mechanics way of clutch testing seems unorthodox.

a weak clutch would actually make the car shudder when rolling off from a standstill/become jerky from a standstill, or even stall.

the car not stalling when the clutch is depressed...thats whats supposed to happen, right?
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2008, 11:09   #90
BHPian

Maybe its placebo but now stuck in my head that my swift suffers a relatively poor pickup! I got the automech FFE form a dealer here in Delhi and have no clue if its tuned for low or high rev.
The clutch is as smooth in operation as it always was, the mechanic engaged the hand break and since the car didnt stall when opened on second gear he thought the car suffered a weak clutch and written that on the service receipt. Maybe this technique might hold true for some cars but then swift anyways has a poor low end torque hence lifting the car on second gear and then expecting it to stall is unreasonable. What say!
dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote