Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th April 2008, 14:19   #91
BANNED

Default Swift Gear Issue

Swift Gear Issue

For some time I have having slight issue with my car ( Swift VDI). Originally I was unable to switch to reverse gear in a single shift. no matter how hard I tried , it will not be engage, But I had a work around . I would switch it to natural and press accelerator little, then I would have been able to switch to reverse. Now from couple of days the problem has also effected the first gear , although it does not occurs frequently. I had reported the reverse gear issue on my third service, but they (Bright motors New Delhi) were unable to rectify it.

Please note that I do press clutch to the hilt while chaining the gear , but its released real quick.

Can fellow Bhpians by virtue of their experience suggest me what seems to be issue (this being my first car ) and also refer me to a good service station around West Delhi.

I have not so good experience with bright motors & Pasco ( now DD Motors )

Last edited by Kool_Kid : 25th April 2008 at 14:21.
Kool_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2008, 14:51   #92
Senior - BHPian

@koolKid: Shoot off an Email to Maruti if the delaer is not able to rectify your issue.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2008, 17:20   #93
BHPian

Try one thing -
If you are not able to go in reverse,
1. Just go to neutral,
2. then press clutch go to 1 and come back to neutral.
3. Release clutch.
4. then press clutch go to reverse.

If you are successfully engaged then this is issue with reverse gear protection and synchromesh. Either lubrication is not properly done or not having enough play in that area.

I was having this issue in SX4 too but solved after 2nd service.
omishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2008, 17:37   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
Try one thing -
If you are not able to go in reverse,
1. Just go to neutral,
2. then press clutch go to 1 and come back to neutral.
3. Release clutch.
4. then press clutch go to reverse.

This has worked for me when engaging reverse gear and I have a problem at times.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2008, 10:28   #95
BHPian

Unhappy Swift Petrol Shuddering problem

Hello All,

I have been a silent reader of all the posts and topics on this website since sometime now. I just hope that this is the right section to post this thread

I have a swift VXi, which was bought in August 2007, lately I have been observing that in the heavy traffic (when mostly the drive is on 1st Gear) my car shudders during the initial pickup. I went to Mandovi Motors in Bangalore, and the service guy told me that this is a problem in the setting of the clutch plate. But even after 5 visits to their workshop, they are not able to rectify this problem.

I then went to Pratham motors, and they told me an entirely different story, according to them, this is not a clutch plate problem. The entire clutch needs to be replaced, as there are 24 "fingers" in the clutch mechanism, and they are not working fine. I am not sure what problem this is, every guy tells me a new story.

However because of this there is no problem in the engine, but the drive quality has gone down pathetically, every time I take a pickup, I get this shuddering on 1st Gear, on all other gears the car is working fine. Also the problem is always there, be it in traffic or no traffic, additionally the problem goes from bad to worse when the Air Conditioner is on.

I hope that somebody here can give me an advise on this, and tell me what the exact problem is.
evilshantanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2008, 10:59   #96
Senior - BHPian

Pratham motors is right. These are sure signs of a weak clutch. If the vehicle is still under warranty then ask them to replace it free of cost.

How much has your vehicle run? Do you ride the clutch by any chance? Riding the clutch can lead to premature wear of the clutch.
vikram_d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2008, 11:09   #97
BHPian

No I dont ride on clutch (atleast I feel that )
My vehicle has done 15000 Km
How much does the new clutch cost ?
Old 18th July 2008, 11:12   #98
BHPian

also I dont think that the Company would give me a warranty on Clutch :-(
Old 18th July 2008, 13:56   #99
BHPian

@evilshantanu

I'm not the expert here, but I've seen service guys doing this to check the clutch.

start engine > clutch > 3rd gear > release as usual

-stalls (good)
-shudders and keep going (bad)

Experts ,please is this any good ?
yzfrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2008, 15:25   #100
Team-BHP Support

You will have to struggle for warranty. Maruti does not offer warranty on clutch plates.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2008, 11:46   #101
BHPian

If I want to replace the clutch with an aftermarket clutch, what are the options available? Ideally, it should be a everyday driving type of clutch, and not a performance clutch (which is very difficult to use in traffic). i.e. no Exedy Stage II clutches.

Any ideas?
theEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 11:34   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Hello All,

I have a swift VXi, which was bought in August 2007, lately I have been observing that in the heavy traffic (when mostly the drive is on 1st Gear) my car shudders during the initial pickup.
I too have this problem for the past 12000 kms. Since it occurs only when we are in first gear for long time (heavy traffic), I ignored it. Even last night, I struggled a lot in a heavy traffic for 3-4 kms.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Tech Gurus:

Is it advisable to get the clutch assembly changed nowitself or we can run till we can manage. I do not want to end up replacing lot other stuffs due to prolonged running with these jerks.

ps: as mentioned earlier, i have been managing with these jerks in 1st gear at heavy traffics for the past 12000 kms
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 19:13   #103
BHPian

I just got a free-flow exhaust installed a week ago, and I had asked for a low to mid rpm power enhancement. Strangely, with the new free-flow whatever little juddering problems I used to have are now gone. My clutch is now 12,000 km old (changed it at 25,000 km as the judder was getting quite bad).
theEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 23:44   #104
Senior - BHPian

both my cousins have a swift each, vxi(oct2006) and vxi abs(feb 2007), with 14K+ and 10K+ they both have already replaced their clutch plates, i think the clutch plate is very weak after all on a petrol swift.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 04:10   #105
BHPian

You are spot on about the petrol swift clutch rider60,sah&sanghi have had repeated reports of clutch slip on petrol swift's,they cant do anything about it,play adjusment's and everything else has been tried,the outcome is common,when you shift from first to second the car just sits down n then picks up,also the gear box is very weak,under hard launching for drag's there are several instance's where the gear box has broken,its about time maruti does something about it,cheers,happy revving..!
dragger is offline   Reply With Quote