Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th April 2007, 15:04   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch

There are two members on this board (ajmat and Karthik) who had their swift clutch plates packing up within 5000kms
The Autocar test mule Swift Petrol also packed the clutch by 14000 kms.
I remember Maruti 800 used to have a weak clutch issue where slightly careless driving could pack the clutch plates around 25000kms.
But with the swift the case seems to be worse.
Also it appears that it may not be covered under warranty.
To put things in perspective, nicely driven cars wether its the honda city or the Tata indica, your clutch lasts atleast 70,000kms.
My own indica has seen very bad conditions for the clutch including hill driving etc., and at 80,000kms just the springs and bush kits for gear lever are showing their age, with clutch plates still in okay condition(no slippage etc.,).
There are members with cars done 120K+ on original clutch.
So swift owners, this question is for you. Are you facing clutch issues and plate slippage issues. If so did you get warranty coverage.
Also there will be some owners done 20K+ without issues, you can also post your inputs.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 15:08   #2
Team-BHP Support

It more likely is a case of QC than an engineering flaw. My Swift has approached 9k kms now and she'll be 1 yr old next month : I've had absolutely no problems with the clutch whatsoever. The clutch feels like it did when I drove her back after taking delivery.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 15:09   #3
Team-BHP Support

I think only the petrol has this problem as the diesel comes with a beefed up clutch as per MUL. Also the 2 test drive car's I've driven had completely worn out clutches even though they had done less than 10K kms.

Infact on one test drive a colleague who had a santro and is not the best of the drivers actually messed up the clutch on an extended test drive. the car wasn't driveable and the clutch was totally stinking.

I think there are more than 2 people on the forum who have complained of the Swift clutch.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 30th April 2007 at 15:11.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 15:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid
Also the 2 test drive car's I've driven had completely worn out clutches even though they had done less than 10K kms.
Petrol car or diesel ??
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 15:25   #5
Team-BHP Support

both petrol. diesel has a different clutch as well as gearbox.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 15:46   #6
Team-BHP Support

yup diesel has a different (bigger) gear box, atleast the oil that goes in is more

and yes the diesel clutch is more weighted compared to petrol so obviously its again beefed up for additional torque
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 15:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

Interesting topic, on saturday I was with a close friend & forum member Speedonline getting some ICE work done on his car. His Swift Petrol has done 26k and has severe clutch judder issues in city traffic, which I found quite surprising considering how less mileage the car had done & because he's a decent driver who doesn't ride the clutch. Even he was bothered a bit & is planning to take the car to the service centre to see if he can have it changed under warranty. It reminded me of the judder that my Santro had by the time I was about to sell it, difference being she had covered over 1L+ kms.

As for other cars, my mother's Santro has done over 80k on the original clutch while my OHC has done 137k.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 15:54   #8
Team-BHP Support

judder is common and the intensity varies from car to car in case of Petrol swift.

my cousins car has a very minor one, especially when one tries to pull off a half clutch scenario and another friends has a great deal of shudder and is really a pain to drive in city
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 15:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Say my Swift clutch wears out by 15k. And I would obviously not want another MUL clutch, and I go in for an aftermarket Exedy or Step, but street spec. No ceramics, no twin/tri plates, no excessive clamping loads. It would still give them an excuse to void any gearbox and flywheel related warranties, right? Maybe even engine warranty. So then it's a vicious circle. I keep buying MUL clutches every 15k.

My Swift used to judder in traffic pretty early on. Then they did clutch play adjustment at Vitesse (Spectra is dumb, they didn't have a solution) and it's good now. Though it's only done 6.5k. I am already prepared for a bugger all clutch. And I would not like a MUL clutch again.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 15:58   #10
Team-BHP Support

Judder means issue with clutch.
I am starting to get judder at 80K in my indica, and that too when the clutch has not been treated very well due to numerous hill drives where at one point of other the weak engine forces you to slip clutch.
If the car has judder, it is a problem.

As for speedonline's car I have seen how he drives. With his kind of driving I would expect the clutch to last 1L kms.
However to the best of my knowledge, judder etc., is more a case of spring damage rather than clutch plate damage. Clutch plate worn out means slipping, i.e. engine revs increase but car does not go any faster.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 15:59   #11
Team-BHP Support

How much does a new clutch/pressure plate for the Swift cost, inclusive of labour charges?
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 16:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

I think I remember reading 6k somewhere on the forum for another member.
Old 30th April 2007, 16:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

my swift has done 25k+ and I also feel that the clutch is not so good.....it cannot transmit the whole power from the engine and slippage is a commmon issue .......it happens when one is doing a rabbit start.....so I avoid putting extra load on the clutch so as it might not fail....but till now no problem faces what so ever.....
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 16:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Mine has done 26000 kms + and no issues with the cluth. Absolutely fine
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 16:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

"...... If the vehicle has a mechanical or cable release system, check for free play at the clutch fork. The failure may have been caused by an incorrect adjustment. If the free-play adjustment was insufficient, the cover diaphragm or levers began to rise toward the bearing as the facing of the clutch disc began to wear. If the bearing was in continuous contact with the diaphragm, the clutch cover became partially engaged and allowed the clutch disc to slip, thus burning up the disc. If the problem is non-release on a vehicle with a cable system and the cable cannot be adjusted further, replace the cable. Clutch cables stretch and need to be inspected with every clutch replacement.

Source: Automotive Clutch Problems? Find Your Answers Here!

Me thinks, this clutch play issue could also be a major contributor. Like my erstwhile workshop Spectra motors could diagnose no issue with the clutch, inspite of my insisting that I felt there was an issue with the clutch, as it would judder in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Also my legs would hurt after a traffic stint, which I thought was strange, as I was used to driving my friend's M800 in traffic a lot. Vitesse SA immediately found an issue with the clutch play when I took it for second service, and it feels much better that service hence. My problem was rectified pretty early on, if I let it go on for longer, it will lead to clutch failure. Lets see how long mine lasts. Premature clutch replacement without warranty won't make my father happy, he always wanted to buy a Santro Xing, and I can be sure of being on the receiving end then.

Last edited by ported_head : 30th April 2007 at 16:29.