Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 7th May 2007, 08:41   #31
BHPian

Default Same problem on my Golf

Brother I'm having the bang same problem on my golf. Ananthkamat also had the same problem on his Jetta. The problem turned out to be the ignition coil was bad causing a misfire which would go away for some reason after 3000rpm approx. In ananths case and several other people who own VW's. Ofcourse you car ain't a VW but the problem described seems to be similar. Well try replacing the coil pack. It should work.
Try pm'ing ananth. his id is -> ananthkamath
Good luck

Last edited by highwayblaze : 7th May 2007 at 08:42.
highwayblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2007, 15:28   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Agreed Chetan, but with a vacum leak would the Check engine light glow ? I thought of vacum but could not corelate with check engine light and therefore the suggestion. I might be wrong.
i think check light is because of broken knock sensor near mobil oil filter.do that sensor have to do any thing with this issue?
prateek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2007, 15:49   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Well , could fuelling be a reason why the car is jerking at low revvs ?? Because the same used to happen on my car and even on psycho's esteem .. At low revvs say under 2500 the car judders a bit .. It could be either less air being supplied , fuelling or clutch adjustment issues on my car .. Yet to diagnoze the problem ..

Prateek , does the MIL light go off on reaching 3k + ?? Could O2 sensor or its malfunction be one of the reason's for the MIL light to come on ?? That could explain why the car is not on LIMP MODE even though the engine check light comes on ..
no mclaren it remains on.when i start my car then light comes after 5-10 secs and remains on.but then to i will check my fuel lines and petrol filter.
Old 7th May 2007, 16:00   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post
MIL wont turn off if the car is in "limp home" mode.
If the car is in this mode it wont even cross 3000 rpm.. ECU will simply be in open loop always.. the car possibly may not behave normal above 3000 rpm even if it managed to cross 3000 in limp mode...

i dont think car is in "limp mode" coz car crosses 3000 rpm nd even goes to 170-180 kmph.
Old 8th May 2007, 01:54   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Dude , I dont think that the car is in "limp mode" if its revving past 3000 and smoothly at that .. MIL on doesn't always mean that the car is in "limp mode" .. My car ran with a disconnected O2 sensor , IAT sensor for a long time and the MIL light would throw up always .. But it was performing really well , without any hiccups ..
Quote:
usually the ECU wont let you rev more than 3000 RPM in limp mode, in this case the car seems to return to normal above 3000...seems odd behaviour for "limp home" mode .. ?
sir thats exactly what Im saying, where did I say car is in limp mode ? every post Im saying that the behavior is uncharacteristic of limp mode behaviour.
if it was limp mode it wont allow to rev up more than 3000 rpm..

Quote:
MIL wont turn off if the car is in "limp home" mode.If the car is in this mode it wont even cross 3000 rpm.. ECU will simply be in open loop always.. the car possibly may not behave normal above 3000 rpm even if it managed to cross 3000 in limp mode...
but it is behaving normally 3000+

Quote:
vacum leak may cause MIL if it is creating a misfire, Im guessing that the rough idling and jerkiness till 3000 as reported by Prateek is actually a misfiring cylinder... which smooths out or becomes less noticeable above 3000 due to extra air which minimises this effect of slight unmetered excess air..
chetanhanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 05:15   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateek View Post
i dont think car is in "limp mode" coz car crosses 3000 rpm nd even goes to 170-180 kmph.
ya, Im also saying the same thing...
Old 8th May 2007, 08:53   #37
BANNED

Hi Prateek,

Like someone had already suggested why dont you just get the car scanned from someone like a Honda service centre or a private garage owner who has a scanner.

No need for any guess work and you will save a lot of time by identifying the mistake. No one can really help you on this forum without seeing your car. They can only guess.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 14:08   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi Prateek,

Like someone had already suggested why dont you just get the car scanned from someone like a Honda service centre or a private garage owner who has a scanner.

No need for any guess work and you will save a lot of time by identifying the mistake. No one can really help you on this forum without seeing your car. They can only guess.

Viper
thanks viper.i ll surely do so.can broken knock sensor(near mobil oil filter) is cause of this behaviour of car?
Old 9th May 2007, 00:12   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi Prateek,

Viper
very true...
we can only guess ..it would be simply trial and error unless we get a readout..

Last edited by chetanhanda : 9th May 2007 at 00:19.
Old 17th June 2007, 12:34   #40
BHPian

problem solved .
it was due to faulty pipe of mobil oil which goes to turbo.turbo was not getting enough oil below 2k rpm before.pipe was bent beacause of its length.got it cut to appropriate length and now every thing is as good as new.