Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 5th May 2007, 23:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default BOOM and shutdown

On A recent trip to bhimashakar my 1998 maruti 800 was running like a dream.While comming back around 40 km from lonavala heard a boom sound from below(exhaust) and the engine stopped.Put it in neutral and cranked the starter again and she started in the first crank.
Stopped the car at the side of the road and got down to inspect.Everything seemed in order
Came down to ghatkopar without any problems and as the car was due for its service gave it for service next day.Mentioned about the boom sound and the car stoppin in between to the service advisor.The service station guy was of the opinion that the condensor in the distributor must have gone kaput and needed replacement.He opened the distributor and found the condensor darkish in colour and carbon was evident even on the rotor.He said the condensor would be replaced and everything would be in order.It was replaced and the car has run 780 km after the service without any problems till today.
In the morning the ran the car for 15 km till college and parked it there and finished my work in 20 min and started the car.It had not even run 100 meters and it stopped again.Cranked the starter and it started in the first crank and reached home without any problems
Went out in the evening and again it stopped one more time in the same way.Started and ran for about 20 km.
While gettin back home at around 70 kmph the engine stopped again but this again with a BOOM sound.Put it in neutral and started it again and it started with the first crank.
This happened 3 times in one day today and once with a boom sound.I dont know or have any idea why this is happenin again.Please pour in your opinions as i do not want to be 'Boomed' and stranded at the wrong time.Btw the car has run 73000 km and the distributor is around 15000 km and one year old along with the ignition coil.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2007, 21:16   #2
BHPian

First check for Engine timing if its right, hope there is no Vaccum leak
then proceed and check
Head gasket burnt / leak
Check Intake valves or possibly distorted exhaust valves.
Cylinder head cracks in combustion chamber.
Jr Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2007, 23:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey humyum...no offence man, but this 800 has been quite troublesome i believe? I think its better to sell her off.

Drifter
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2007, 23:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
Hey humyum...no offence man, but this 800 has been quite troublesome i believe? I think its better to sell her off.

Drifter
I've told him that before, not that he listens.

Humyum, what did I tell you? Your M800 won't let you stay away from the forum.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2007, 23:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
First check for Engine timing if its right, hope there is no Vaccum leak
then proceed and check
Head gasket burnt / leak
Check Intake valves or possibly distorted exhaust valves.
Cylinder head cracks in combustion chamber.
Yep Engine timing is perfect on the dot as it was adjusted just 780 km back and just to check if its perfect or no i even revved the car in 1st gear till the max.If the timing was out it would be evidient with a knocking or a jerky increase in the rpm.
@drifter..i know bro its givin me a lot of problems but it holds a very sentimental value and i just got the steering+suspension work done which cost me a bomb.These niggling problems are the ones that irritate the most.
Old 6th May 2007, 23:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
I've told him that before, not that he listens.

Humyum, what did I tell you? Your M800 won't let you stay away from the forum.
Lols..!!i thought u were planning to ban me for troublin team-bhp with my 800 issues.
Old 7th May 2007, 18:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Problem Solved.The Service advisor was of the opinion that the wires connecting the ignition coil and the distributor were loose.He said that because of this the car must be losin electrical supply for a second or so and gettin switched off and the boom sound is the misfire.
He tigtened the wires connectin the ignition coil and the distributor and i was back on my way.
Thanks for all the help