Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 8th May 2007, 16:23   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Minda-Huf central locking has swallowed its tongue!

Ok guys... I need some ideas on a peculiar problem. Today morning when I parked the car in the basement parking of my office and came out I realized that the indicators are flashing incessantly, just like in the hazard-lights-on mode. Initially I thought that I have switched on the hazard lights by mistake. However that was not the case. It had gone bonkers on its own!

I tried all the arrows in my quiver (shyam-dam-dand-ved) but nothing seems to be able to sort the problem out. Ultimately remembered and pressed the combination for resetting the system and that took care of the lights!!! I thought the CL has definitely packed up. So when I closed all the doors and pressed the lock button (with lots of trepidation) and heard that reassuring "khachaak" sound of all the doors getting locked I was so very happy. Relief!!! But not so quick. It struck me that the accompanying squeaking sound of "chweek chweek" did not come.

So I tried the manoeuver a few more times. No luck. Then I deliberately used the keys to open the door when the CL is in the armed state. Sure, the lights went bonkers. However the accompanying cacophony of the siren was missing. For some unknown reason my CL has simply swallowed its tongue it seems. Even the reverse horn has gone kaput (a very useful piece of device in my narrow lane where there are some 13 cars in a 50m stretch on both sides alongwith some 20 bikes and construction debris lie everywhere on the lane).

Now could someone really think of any reason for this? I am clueless. Till morning it was working fine when I reversed through my 50m gully (minefield) in 10 minutes time. It was blaring itself hoarse till then.

Could there be a remedy for this? I do not want to reinstally the entire CL system all over again.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 17:24   #2
BHPian

zappo!
my autocop(which takes care of CL,auto-ignition kill,panic alarm and security alarm) acts up at least twice a year.
i dial the helpline.he checks the wiring and contacts and it's as good as new again.
have it checked by your installer.
doctorkats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 17:25   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Dont know about the blinkers but the hooter might have gone kaput, got mine replaced FOC in warranty(i have an Autocop). Or simply some problem in your central system I would suggest to get it checke from a authrised guy(not the sales guys) i.e. contact the number given on your warranty card.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 17:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

Looks like your alarm is in Valet parking mode - i.e the alarm does not sound at all. The way it works on mine is the I can set it to silent mode by pressing 2 key combinations on the remote while the key is in the ignition. It could be different on your burglar alarm.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 18:29   #5
Team-BHP Support

Hmmm... I wrote to MindaHuf... They in turn have sent it to some person at MindaLocks. Lets see what their response is.

In the meantime, I tried all the tricks in the book (owner's manual), including the Valet Parking mode. In my CL also its the combination of the lock and unlock button pressed in tandem that puts the system in Valet parking mode. However that is not working out. It is a problem. Either the hooter has decided to take a premature retirement or else the horn part of the circuit is malfunctioning. I do not know what. It could also be a malfunction of the CL ECU (fitted underneatth the dash. I suspect this because prior to the hooter packing up (or before I realized that it has) the indicators were all going crazy. This should not have happened if only the hooter was the problem!

Last edited by Zappo : 8th May 2007 at 18:30.
Old 9th May 2007, 04:20   #6
Team-BHP Support

Hi Zappo,

When i read your post the first thing i suspected was foul play...is that a posibility?... do check the physical conncetion to the "hooter" and make sure it hasnt been tampered with or unplugged.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 08:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

I'm sure this is a problem with the hooter. These things have a tendency to pack up for no apparent reason.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 15:45   #8
Team-BHP Support

Ok guys. The problem is resolved. It was actually the case of hooter getting disconnected. I should have probably checked it yesterday but then I was thrown off the scent as the indicators and locking mechanism was behaving in a weird manner till I reset the system. Thereafter though the indicators and the locks started behaving the hooter packed up. This led me to believe the issue is something more severe.

However here I think the Minda service deserves kudos. I know all the great things we talk about service that many companies render and the cliches like 'customer is the king' and all... however in this case the service rendered by Minda has surpassed all my expectation. Yesterday evening after 4 pm I wrote a mail to Minda-Huf, to a mail id given on their site. Since then less than 24 hours elapsed and the CL system is back to normal. The mail kept getting forwarded till today morning when it ultimately reached Mr Pandey who is their Manager (Service). He first wrote to me and then called me up personally. Within 3 hours since then a service technician came to my office and resolved the problem.

Way to go Minda.
Old 20th July 2013, 22:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Minda-Huf central locking has swallowed its tongue!

Sorry to wake-up an old thread.
I have my own problems with the Minda remote! Today I was caught outside in the decade's most torrential downpour. My 10 year old car key+Minda remote was in my pockets - and was completely wet.
Moment I reached home , I turned off the ignition, and locked the car with the remote, and went to have lunch. When I returned to run an errand, the car would not unlock. In the end, I had to use the back-up Minda remote to get in.

I suspected the battery had drained, so later in the evening , I switched the battery from my back-up remote to the primary remote. I figured that only the search button on the primary is working - the other two buttons (lock and unlock) are 'dead'.

Now is there any easy fix to this problem? It seems to be a simple circuit. Secondly, I am a bit skeptical about water entering in the remote in the first place. When I opened the primary, it had a fairly thick rubber sheath. And the remote itself has never been abused - though it is 10 years old.
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2013, 23:13   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Sorry to wake-up an old thread.
I have my own problems with the Minda remote! Today I was caught outside in the decade's most torrential downpour. My 10 year old car key+Minda remote was in my pockets - and was completely wet.
Moment I reached home , I turned off the ignition, and locked the car with the remote, and went to have lunch. When I returned to run an errand, the car would not unlock. In the end, I had to use the back-up Minda remote to get in.

I suspected the battery had drained, so later in the evening , I switched the battery from my back-up remote to the primary remote. I figured that only the search button on the primary is working - the other two buttons (lock and unlock) are 'dead'.

Now is there any easy fix to this problem? It seems to be a simple circuit. Secondly, I am a bit skeptical about water entering in the remote in the first place. When I opened the primary, it had a fairly thick rubber sheath. And the remote itself has never been abused - though it is 10 years old.
Leave the remote open overnight in case of water issues. Also you will get new battery in the market of 12v 23a for a nominal price, replace your old battery and check please.
latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2013, 23:32   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now is there any easy fix to this problem?
Try using a hair dryer for 10-15 minutes. It's not water per se, but moisture that's causing your problem.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2013, 00:18   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

You could also try the other mobile phone rejuvenation solutions - leave it in a box containing rice (what worked for my wife's GNex!).
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2013, 08:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Also you will get new battery in the market of 12v 23a for a nominal price, replace your old battery and check please.
No it was not the battery. On a multimeter it showed it still had a little juice, and am lucky I did not throw it away in disgust last night. A replacement costs Rs 50 at our local Kalkaji market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
You could also try the other mobile phone rejuvenation solutions - leave it in a box containing rice (what worked for my wife's GNex!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Try using a hair dryer for 10-15 minutes. It's not water per se, but moisture that's causing your problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Leave the remote open overnight in case of water issues.
Thanks all. Yes it was moisture. I stuck the opened remote under a running hair-dryer (lowest power setting) for 3 minutes. Screwed it all up back in place. And now the primary remote works like a charm!
All's well that ends well!

Last edited by joybhowmik : 21st July 2013 at 08:52.
joybhowmik is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2013, 09:39   #14
BHPian

Quote:
A replacement costs Rs 50 at our local Kalkaji market.
Last time I checked, I got 4 of them for Rs.100 (about six months or so). They are golden in colour of GP make.
JustCause is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2013, 13:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
Last time I checked, I got 4 of them for Rs.100 (about six months or so). They are golden in colour of GP make.
Thanks JustCause. Exactly right.
Coordinates of shop please ?
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote