Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2007, 11:56   #31
BHPian
 
anarchist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicago / Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 371
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Update on the Far Infrared turbo fan - Review

My Swift definitely feels smoother and there is some improvement in pick up. Could not check the top speed nor the 0-100 dash but definitely the power delivery has improved and I feel the car is a tad bit faster to get to 100. Mileage returned with 100% a/c with pathetic traffic (very limited user of 5th gear due to heavy truck traffic all the way from Hosur to Coimbatore) was 14.5 kmpl. Speeds were in excess of 100 topped around 145.

Overall not a significant improvement in power as claimed but for the car does feel smoother and the low end power has definite improvements.

My Verdict:
1. You can feel the improvement in city driving with this fan coupled with K&N stock filter.
2. Highways acceleration in the 2nd and 3rd gears there is definitely an improvement
3. (My previous trip was to Mangalore without the fan with a trip mileage of 15kmpl with 50% use of a/c) so no significant improvement in mileage.
anarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2007, 12:01   #32
BWN
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toulouse
Posts: 114
Thanked: Once
Default

I took my baleno to Mandovi(mysore) for regular service.SA there advised me to use this FAR Infrared power booster.The infrared radition and other things are theoritically fine but how come a small static fan is going to create turbulence and ionise the molecules blah blah blah......

SA told me that already a 1000 cars are fitted with it from mandovi .He says Baleno,Esteem will need 2 of them since the Air intake pipe is longer than alto and swift.Still not able to make a decision.I am running stock filters and was planning to go for a KnN stock replacement filter after this service.Any bhp'ian who has tried it on a Baleno ?

Last edited by BWN : 6th October 2007 at 12:03.
BWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2007, 20:52   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
BUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,130
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

So they fooled 1000 people already
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2007, 21:14   #34
BHPian
 
chetanhanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 886
Thanked: 42 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist View Post
Update on the Far Infrared turbo fan - Review

My Swift definitely feels smoother and there is some improvement in pick up. Could not check the top speed nor the 0-100 dash but definitely the power delivery has improved and I feel the car is a tad bit faster to get to 100. Mileage returned with 100% a/c with pathetic traffic (very limited user of 5th gear due to heavy truck traffic all the way from Hosur to Coimbatore) was 14.5 kmpl. Speeds were in excess of 100 topped around 145.

Overall not a significant improvement in power as claimed but for the car does feel smoother and the low end power has definite improvements.

My Verdict:
1. You can feel the improvement in city driving with this fan coupled with K&N stock filter.
2. Highways acceleration in the 2nd and 3rd gears there is definitely an improvement
3. (My previous trip was to Mangalore without the fan with a trip mileage of 15kmpl with 50% use of a/c) so no significant improvement in mileage.
dude , looking at your "verdict" seems you are pretty happy about this and you would definately reccomend this to your friends..
I have a few questions..
1] Do you have any other modifications in the car or only this excellent "infrared device" ? and is this the 1st time you are modifying your car ?
2] Have you seen air intakes in other high performance cars ? and do you have any doubts why other tuners take so much effort to make sure their intake has a smooth path for the air to flow and why do people take the trouble of spending time on designing correct intake runners specific tot heir engines ?

Im not trolling..just curious why you are so convinced and have already passed the verdict.. ?
chetanhanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007, 01:51   #35
BHPian
 
rohan_fonseca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Panaji
Posts: 984
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWN View Post
I took my baleno to Mandovi(mysore) for regular service.SA there advised me to use this FAR Infrared power booster.The infrared radition and other things are theoritically fine but how come a small static fan is going to create turbulence and ionise the molecules blah blah blah......

SA told me that already a 1000 cars are fitted with it from mandovi .He says Baleno,Esteem will need 2 of them since the Air intake pipe is longer than alto and swift.Still not able to make a decision.I am running stock filters and was planning to go for a KnN stock replacement filter after this service.Any bhp'ian who has tried it on a Baleno ?
Ones bad enough. but 2?!!
rohan_fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 10:07   #36
BWN
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toulouse
Posts: 114
Thanked: Once
Default

Hi All,

Got my car installed with this device after regualr serivce and here are my 2 cents.

Got the installation done on a deal that he will have to take it back if i am not satisfied.Enquired with some of my colleagues and they too were pretty happy with the outcome.So decided give my logical mind, a break.......

Results :

1.Car is definitely having smoother acceleration in 1st,2nd & 3rd gears.Earlier it used to stall over Speedbreakers with full load+AC in 2nd gear, but now it is pulling smoothly.And for record, car is not slower at all and actually feels refined and smooth.

2.Engine has got a nice growl above 3k rpm.Roll on acceleration in 4th and 5th has also improved noticably.

3.Yet to check the mileage but it seems to be unchanged if i go by the fuel guage.Now i know that Fuel guage is not the accurate form of calculating mileage, but i will have to rely upon it untill my next tank up.Shall update abt mileage details later.

4.Difference of pick-up with/out Ac is much lesser now..... as a result of smooth pickup and refined feeling, i have now developed the habit of shifting at 3k rpm...... so mileage is gonna take a beating this time.Restricitng myself with great difficulty to drive with sanity.

This is just an initial review of this product since its just 150 kms with this device.... planning to wait until the next tankup and decide if i should continue with this or not.

I have heard of some infrared devices being used in one of my Friends Audi back in hamburg.Mandovi folks have their reputation at stake by marketing this device.So I hope they wont be taking a risk on this...... Keeping my fingers crossed.
BWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 18:07   #37
BWN
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toulouse
Posts: 114
Thanked: Once
Default

Any more Bhp'ians who have used it,particularly from Bangalore/Mysore ?
BWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2007, 23:17   #38
BHPian
 
chetanhanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 886
Thanked: 42 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWN View Post
Hi All,

Got my car installed with this device after regualr serivce and here are my 2 cents.

Got the installation done on a deal that he will have to take it back if i am not satisfied.Enquired with some of my colleagues and they too were pretty happy with the outcome.So decided give my logical mind, a break.......

Results :

1.Car is definitely having smoother acceleration in 1st,2nd & 3rd gears.Earlier it used to stall over Speedbreakers with full load+AC in 2nd gear, but now it is pulling smoothly.And for record, car is not slower at all and actually feels refined and smooth.

2.Engine has got a nice growl above 3k rpm.Roll on acceleration in 4th and 5th has also improved noticably.

3.Yet to check the mileage but it seems to be unchanged if i go by the fuel guage.Now i know that Fuel guage is not the accurate form of calculating mileage, but i will have to rely upon it untill my next tank up.Shall update abt mileage details later.

4.Difference of pick-up with/out Ac is much lesser now..... as a result of smooth pickup and refined feeling, i have now developed the habit of shifting at 3k rpm...... so mileage is gonna take a beating this time.Restricitng myself with great difficulty to drive with sanity.

This is just an initial review of this product since its just 150 kms with this device.... planning to wait until the next tankup and decide if i should continue with this or not.

I have heard of some infrared devices being used in one of my Friends Audi back in hamburg.Mandovi folks have their reputation at stake by marketing this device.So I hope they wont be taking a risk on this...... Keeping my fingers crossed.
Amazing writeup , you have really taken a lot of trouble to test this so minutely.
The only reason the car can feel like this is if it is making more power or the power band has shifted slightly to lower rpm which makes you feel there is smoother/better pickup.
My question is how does a small fan in the intake do this ? definately it does not increase the flow of air instead it decreases the flow of air.. Its sitting in the intake clogging the flow of air...
So that means according to you : with decreased air flow the engine feels better, so the this fan is actually doing 2 things : compensating for this loss of air flow + doing something to the air which makes it even beter then the original setup.
That leaves us with 1 option - since the air flow is decreased the MAP/MAf sensor is going to indicate this accordingly to the ECU.
The ECU will lookup/calculate values corresponding to this load and you will be getting lesser fuel injected.
What does that give us now ? better performance or degraded performance ?
I just feel it is a scam..and posts like yours will only encourage other people to try it out.
chetanhanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2007, 23:30   #39
BHPian
 
1self's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 627
Thanked: 266 Times
Default

Guys!

Can we have some pics of what this device looks like?
1self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2007, 06:03   #40
BHPian
 
gopz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Blighty
Posts: 452
Thanked: Once
Default

I was curious about the product and got it installed on my 5 Speed M800, since it was not very expensive.

I must say that the car is smoother and when A/C is turned on, I can really see the difference. I havent checked the mileage but pick-up has definitely improved, expecially when A/C is on.

More so in the lower gears, especially useful for city driving.

Its just a small device which 'twists' the air from the air filter inlet pipe. Probably it looks like a small piece of plastic costing Rs.50/-

It definitely improves performance, but I dont think the item is worth Rs.850/-
gopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2007, 08:29   #41
BHPian
 
1self's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 627
Thanked: 266 Times
Exclamation Cyclone Vortex Generator

Hey Guys,

While we are on the topic of these devices....i personally have seen a LOT more smoothness & high rpm power gains on my Elantra....these are the pics...i paid 30$... picked it up in the US when i was visiting...i have seen almost everyone bunk these devices based on scientific data...buttttttt nobody had personally tried them before....am glad you guys are taking a stand on this...i bought mine a year back.

I agree that the effects are understated as compared to the claims...however there ARE IMPROVEMENTS....significant enough to be felt immediately....



1self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2007, 08:41   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWN View Post
a small static fan is going to create turbulence and ionise the molecules blah blah blah......
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
it looks like a small piece of plastic costing Rs.50/-
What does this thing look like? Could someone PLEASE post a photo?
Is it just a piece of plastic shaped to kind of create a 'vortex' of air?
Sonds like REAL hi-tech, space age stuff! With a wee bit of 'quantum physics' thrown in for good performance.
Does this gadget sit on the outside of the air filter or down-line from it?

P.S. As soon as I posted, I saw photos already put up by 1self. Sorry.

Last edited by anupmathur : 13th October 2007 at 08:45.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2007, 09:11   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

"The unique materials of the Turbo Fan are capable of emitting far-infrared rays with wavelengths between 4m 14m when thermo-activated (he activation)"

Found this on googling. So what do these IR rays do? Search me!
Makes you wonder why car makers do not install such little gizmos in the first place.
I'm lost.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2007, 10:09   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,763
Thanked: 89,534 Times
Default

I think the benefits are more "psychological" than actual. That said, if the installers are happy...then thats what counts.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2007, 10:24   #45
BHPian
 
Venkatesh.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 261
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Correct me if i'm wrong.
What the fan is essentially trying to do is usher in more air artificially. However, the amount of air required is proportional to the acceleration requirements and the speed the vehicle is moving at right? This is why turbochargers' turbines spin faster as the speed climbs(of course powered by the faster flow of exhaust due to higher engine speeds) and helps pump in more air to better burn the fuel.
Super chargers also must work the same way only that they are powered by an electric source (alternator? batteries?)
Now this so called fan which i'm guessing is at best going to rotate at a static speed.
Now, if that is the case, then it should have its effect only at lower vehicle speeds(more in the city) when the spin of the fan can move more air than the natural aspiration of the engine.
Definitely the natural aspiration will overtake the air moved by the fan at some vehicle speed when the natural movement of air rams into the air duct in keeping with the engine requirements.
So, the fan in the middle would it not be counterproductive at higher vehicle speeds by obstructing natural airflow?
Does this sound right?

Last edited by Venkatesh.C : 13th October 2007 at 10:27.
Venkatesh.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yamaha Ray Ownership Review. A ray of hope yikes6633 Motorbikes 168 4th November 2016 18:42
Blu ray discs / regions / all-in-one blu ray disc player VSG12777 Gadgets, Computers & Software 4 29th May 2014 13:55
Infrared Camera Setup - DIY possible? honeybee DIY - Do it yourself 13 8th January 2013 23:44


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:36.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks