Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2011, 23:28   #46
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,947
Thanked: 16,649 Times
Default Re: Braking issues in Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Your front discs have got warped. Get them machined or get new ones along with new pads. It will be as good as new.
+ 1.

Please read the below link to know more about brake warping. I am also facing this issue in my WagonR now (although its noticeable when braking from around 100 kmph), and planning to visit the service center sometime next week to get the brakes checked.

http://www.trustmymechanic.com/brakewarp.html

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th December 2011 at 23:32.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 00:30   #47
BHPian
 
k2max6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 482
Thanked: 129 Times
Default Re: Braking issues in Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
Hi Guys ,

I drive a Swift VXI (NON ABS) 2006 model . Car has completed 30,000 KMS .

Issue I am facing is when I am at high speed i.e more then 80km/h and I brake hard , I feel vibration in brake pedal and well as in the cabin itself like whole car is shivering or something.

When I apply brakes gradually at same speed everything feels fine that is no vibration in brake pedal or in the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Your front discs have got warped. Get them machined or get new ones along with new pads. It will be as good as new.
+1 . Get your discs checked.IMO the symptoms indicate that you need to change the discs.
k2max6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 00:48   #48
BHPian
 
prashant.dinkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ellicott City/New Delhi
Posts: 77
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: Braking issues in Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Your front discs have got warped. Get them machined or get new ones along with new pads. It will be as good as new.
Is it normal for discs to go bad at just 30,000 KMS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
+ 1.

Please read the below link to know more about brake warping. I am also facing this issue in my WagonR now (although its noticeable when braking from around 100 kmph), and planning to visit the service center sometime next week to get the brakes checked.

Brake Repair
Any idea how much replacing the discs and pads cost ? Also is it dangerous to use car like this for somemore time say 2-3 k Kms
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
+1 . Get your discs checked.IMO the symptoms indicate that you need to change the discs.
prashant.dinkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 04:39   #49
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,306
Thanked: 2,188 Times
Default Re: Braking issues in Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
Is it normal for discs to go bad at just 30,000 KMS?


Any idea how much replacing the discs and pads cost ? Also is it dangerous to use car like this for somemore time say 2-3 k Kms
Well because of non use, rust develops on the disc and hardens up ever time causing uneveness. My Swift diesel had a warped rotor because of only 2 thousand kilometre use in 9 months. Although it was a minor judder I got while braking at high speeds i decided to get it changed due to the fun factor being compromised. This was at 20 thousand kilometre's.

Discs cost around 3500 and pads another 1700 at MASS. So for around 6 grand you should be back to shudder less brakes.

Its not dangerous to use a car like this but it will cause extra strain on parts like wheel bearings, tie rods etc. My advice would be to get it changed.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 14:47   #50
BHPian
 
prashant.dinkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ellicott City/New Delhi
Posts: 77
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: Braking issues in Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Well because of non use, rust develops on the disc and hardens up ever time causing uneveness. My Swift diesel had a warped rotor because of only 2 thousand kilometre use in 9 months. Although it was a minor judder I got while braking at high speeds i decided to get it changed due to the fun factor being compromised. This was at 20 thousand kilometre's.

Discs cost around 3500 and pads another 1700 at MASS. So for around 6 grand you should be back to shudder less brakes.

Its not dangerous to use a car like this but it will cause extra strain on parts like wheel bearings, tie rods etc. My advice would be to get it changed.
Thanks , will be visiting MASS this weekend , Will get the inspection done . 1 last question , if discs are rusted can we get them "cleaned" with sand blast paper?
prashant.dinkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 20:11   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,306
Thanked: 2,188 Times
Default Re: Braking issues in Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
Thanks , will be visiting MASS this weekend , Will get the inspection done . 1 last question , if discs are rusted can we get them "cleaned" with sand blast paper?
Well, you could try but mostly in your case it wont remove the irregularities which would have formed over time. The only solution in your case is machining or replacement.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 23:52   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
gaurav_chopra04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,256
Thanked: 534 Times
Default Re: Braking issues in Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
will be visiting MASS this weekend , Will get the inspection done . 1 last question , if discs are rusted can we get them "cleaned" with sand blast paper?
As others suggested, get the discs phased/replaced and get a new set of brake pads. Since you didnt use the car for good 2 years, the brake pads would have gone hard. And hard pads would have resulted in uneven wear of discs.. Usually, this problem comes in either ABS cars or if you havent driven the car for a long time.

I'd recommend you get the discs phased outside and get a set of TRW brake pads, if you know any reliable mechanic outside. This shouldnt cost you over 2k from outside (1k for pads, 3-400 for phasing and about 300 labour.)
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 13:51   #53
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: coimbatore
Posts: 22
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Hopeless braking on Swift - Anyone sharing ?

The braking in Swift LDi and VDi is hope less. In ZDI its good compare with the other two due to the alloy wheels(low wheel weight) and ABS(just stability this is not decreasing the stopping distance).

One more thing I have noticed is that when the speed decreases to a certain limit, the engine is increasing the rpm to avoid engine knocking(this is not a correct word, tell me what to say about this), so you have to press the clutch to get maximum stopping power(i know this sounds crazy!) at low rpms

when you are braking from 100 kmph when its reaching around 40 kmph you have press the clutch otherwise the engine rpm increases automatically(as like when you switch on AC)and it seems the braking suddenly decreased and the vehicle is running as like the brakes are not working.
opalcute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 15:38   #54
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,632
Thanked: 1,256 Times
Default Re: Hopeless braking on Swift - Anyone sharing ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalcute View Post
The braking in Swift LDi and VDi is hope less. In ZDI its good compare with the other two due to the alloy wheels(low wheel weight) and ABS(just stability this is not decreasing the stopping distance).

One more thing I have noticed is that when the speed decreases to a certain limit, the engine is increasing the rpm to avoid engine knocking(this is not a correct word, tell me what to say about this), so you have to press the clutch to get maximum stopping power(i know this sounds crazy!) at low rpms

when you are braking from 100 kmph when its reaching around 40 kmph you have press the clutch otherwise the engine rpm increases automatically(as like when you switch on AC)and it seems the braking suddenly decreased and the vehicle is running as like the brakes are not working.

The main reason why ZDI/ZXI has better is because of a better brake booster in those versions.Even VDI has ABS but still the braking is pathetic
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 15:50   #55
Team-BHP Support
 
moralfibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MH-12
Posts: 6,622
Thanked: 6,144 Times
Default Re: Hopeless braking on Swift - Anyone sharing ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalcute View Post
The braking in Swift LDi and VDi is hope less. In ZDI its good compare with the other two due to the alloy wheels(low wheel weight) and ABS(just stability this is not decreasing the stopping distance).
Let me point you to the correct thread - Link - (Attention: New Maruti Suzuki Swift Brake Issue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The main reason why ZDI/ZXI has better is because of a better brake booster in those versions.Even VDI has ABS but still the braking is pathetic
The 3rd generation Swift VDI doesn't have ABS.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 15:52   #56
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,632
Thanked: 1,256 Times
Default Re: Hopeless braking on Swift - Anyone sharing ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post


The 3rd generation Swift VDI doesn't have ABS.

Oops, didnt know the new VDI does not come with ABS!
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 18:01   #57
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: coimbatore
Posts: 22
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Hopeless braking on Swift - Anyone sharing ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The main reason why ZDI/ZXI has better is because of a better brake booster in those versions.Even VDI has ABS but still the braking is pathetic
Booster is different for ZDi and others? I dont know. Is this the same for the old Dzire and Old Swift?
opalcute is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hopeless customer service from BajajAllianz, what to do next? androdev Indian Car Loans & Insurance 19 25th September 2013 16:39
Rattlling, noisy Linea T-Jet. Tata- Fiat A.S.S Useless and Hopeless. Speed Pujari Technical Stuff 34 25th March 2013 11:25
Hopeless suspension in Indica akash_m Technical Stuff 16 1st May 2012 10:53
Swift D'zire DDIS- braking instability kaushik_s Technical Stuff 15 24th May 2009 17:36
Swift Vxi - ABS has started to kick in too early when braking talk2anand Technical Stuff 18 19th February 2008 19:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks