Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2007, 19:19   #1
BHPian
 
abhaybakshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 177
Thanked: 71 Times
Default Hopeless braking on Swift - Anyone sharing ?

Everyday I have to travel 20 KM's to my office on highway and I am feeling very sad that my Swift doesn't have the "feel" of powerful brakes or "bite" as they say ....

Don't know how to explain this but I have to press brakes fully for panic stops and there is feeling like the discs/drums have been lubricated with oil (!!!)

There is absolutely no bite and when I go for panic stops (damn these dogs and bikers) there is slight vibration which I feel on the brake pedal...
(pl. note mine Swift is non ABS)

To make matter worse, recently I have observed that when I apply brakes on high speed (100), my car seems to dive on the left side ......

Anyone having such issues ?
abhaybakshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2007, 20:15   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
theMAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,034
Thanked: 1,470 Times
Default

Without sounding like a Swift User Group President, I can state categorically that the Swift has one of the best braking amongst Indian cars. And ABS makes it better. Get your braking system a complete check from Maruti - your car has a problem
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2007, 20:39   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,254
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

Its something do with the faulty unit in your Swift, have MUL Check your car fully, Swift's brakes are not as sharp as Santro/Getz but Swift good brakes among all MUL cars!

Swift ABS has better braking ability but I didn't understand why like that?
I tried Swift abs and non abs many times thats what I realized. Other cars
with and witout ABS don't make any difference with stopping ability except for skidding the car without abs..

Have your car's brakes fully checked that should fix the issue.

Regards,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2007, 20:56   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
karthik247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: BLR, HYD
Posts: 2,708
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

I agree with Mag, the brakes are usually pretty good, ABS or not.
Get ur alignment also checked cuz it may be causing the dive while braking.
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2007, 21:03   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
DCEite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NCR
Posts: 3,045
Thanked: 476 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Swift's brakes are not as sharp as Santro/Getz but Swift good brakes among all MUL cars!
So you mean to say Santro breaks are better than all the Maruti Suzuki cars. Are you kidding me or what ?

Coming back to the topic, i have found Swift breaking to be amongst the best. Surely better than Getz, Santro and Indica. That is from my personal experience.
As someone said, you should get your card checked from M.A.S.S.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2007, 23:33   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,545
Thanked: 1,598 Times
Default

Abhay..!
U should get your car thoroughly checked at a MASS....
Swift's braking is pretty good its no where near hopeless for sure.

Are u running your Swift on stock wheels??


Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
So you mean to say Santro breaks are better than all the Maruti Suzuki cars. Are you kidding me or what ?

Coming back to the topic, i have found Swift breaking to be amongst the best. Surely better than Getz, Santro and Indica. That is from my personal experience.
As someone said, you should get your card checked from M.A.S.S.
Hope u meant braking not breaking
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 00:14   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Hope u meant braking not breaking

Yeah, the swift can brake as well as break better than the hyundai. The tyres play a part but that is not your problem, please get the wheels balanced, aligned & check your brake pads/drums with MASS.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 01:51   #8
BHPian
 
rohan_fonseca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Panaji
Posts: 984
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

How old is your car?Try to get it checked at your non regular service station. Used to take my car to M.A.S.S for a year. Then took it to my current mechanic. We found a ton of dust in the rear drums as though it was never cleaned before!
rohan_fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 01:55   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
ramie2400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,900
Thanked: 58 Times
Default

I have driven my friends Jan2006 model M.Swift the braking are one of the best till my notice,100times better than my ford ikon...may be you should go and check out with maruti service center if there is leakage
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 02:23   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post
There is absolutely no bite and when I go for panic stops (damn these dogs and bikers) there is slight vibration which I feel on the brake pedal...
(pl. note mine Swift is non ABS)

To make matter worse, recently I have observed that when I apply brakes on high speed (100), my car seems to dive on the left side ......

Anyone having such issues ?
It looks like you might have some Brake Disc warping issues due to repeated hard braking. I suggest you get them checked from your dealer.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 09:46   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
DCEite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NCR
Posts: 3,045
Thanked: 476 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Hope u meant braking not breaking
Sorry for the typo
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 11:02   #12
BHPian
 
abhaybakshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 177
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Guys, thanks for the responses.

I had my Swift checked by MASS twice for the same issue but problem persists. All they had done was clean up drums and bit of adjustment here and there....

I suspect brake liners needs replacement ?

b.t.w. my car is 5 months old and done 7000 KM
abhaybakshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2007, 20:49   #13
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 703
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

I also had the same problems on my maruti800 . The maruti service centre told me that the brakes were ok , but still the brakes didnt have that much of a bite . I figured out that there might be an airlock in the brake lines and checked it at a local garage for airlock . To my surprise I found that there was indeed airlock on both the front and the rear oil lines and that was why the car brakes were not effective . the whole thing cost me just 20 bucks .. LOL . you might try the same thing ,might help a lot .
greatmana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2007, 00:20   #14
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,748
Thanked: 7,468 Times
Default

@abhay: after following your post i strongly feel that your dealer is not reliable or taking you for a ride and hence i would suggest changing them even if the new dealer might charge you some extra money.

the swift has one of the best braking in any indian cars, same cannot be said about the OE 165 tyres. i was driving around today evening in my cousins vxi with 165 tyres and already parked the car at the end of the garage to avoid it driving anymore till he comes. reason being although the brakes did its job the tyres were crying to glory with my braking, yes i have been spoiled by wider tyres on my car.

yes get the brakes overhauled and air bled from the lines. pulling while braking is also a sign that all is not well.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2007, 12:21   #15
BHPian
 
abhaybakshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 177
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
@abhay: after following your post i strongly feel that your dealer is not reliable or taking you for a ride and hence i would suggest changing them even if the new dealer might charge you some extra money.

the swift has one of the best braking in any indian cars, same cannot be said about the OE 165 tyres. i was driving around today evening in my cousins vxi with 165 tyres and already parked the car at the end of the garage to avoid it driving anymore till he comes. reason being although the brakes did its job the tyres were crying to glory with my braking, yes i have been spoiled by wider tyres on my car.

yes get the brakes overhauled and air bled from the lines. pulling while braking is also a sign that all is not well.
Thanks Jaggu and manna..

I will now first try to clear air from the lines and then do overhaul
abhaybakshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hopeless customer service from BajajAllianz, what to do next? androdev Indian Car Loans & Insurance 19 25th September 2013 16:39
Rattlling, noisy Linea T-Jet. Tata- Fiat A.S.S Useless and Hopeless. Speed Pujari Technical Stuff 34 25th March 2013 11:25
Hopeless suspension in Indica akash_m Technical Stuff 16 1st May 2012 10:53
Swift D'zire DDIS- braking instability kaushik_s Technical Stuff 15 24th May 2009 17:36
Swift Vxi - ABS has started to kick in too early when braking talk2anand Technical Stuff 18 19th February 2008 19:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks