Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 14th May 2007, 12:41   #1

Default ECM Malfunction

Hello Sir,

I purchased a Santro Xing one year back from Bangalore Trident Automobile,

Some time 6 months back the vehicle stopped while running in the middle of the road at 9.00 PM, I called up the service station (Trident Automobiles (P) Ltd, Koramangala – Indiranagar ring road, Domlur, Bangalore), and the service station engineer reported me the problem with “Electronic control Unit was malfunction”. Moreover, they fixed the issue and informed me that the problem is rectified.

However, on (12-05-07) I was travelling with my wife to Chennai from Bangalore early morning. The vehicle stopped again while running near Krishnagiri and I got the Hosur Service station number from Trident people and asked for rectifying the problem. The Service engineer could not fix the problem and I paid for taking the vehicle to Hosur Service station. The Engineer found that the problem is with “Electronic control Unit was malfunction” again for the second time.

Now that I feel it is unsafe to have such an unpredictable the vehicle, if I had travelled to the same place at night, I might have caught in the forest, I might have been in a serious danger, or even a vehicle coming at very high speed might have crashed with my vehicle.

I have raised the concern to the Customer care .. waiting for the reply. But now I feel it is unsafe to have the defected car. I want you guidance to proceed further on this regards.

Thank you
Sivakumar
sivak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2007, 13:19   #2
Team-BHP Support

your swift is in warranty, push for replacement of ECU.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2007, 13:29   #3
Team-BHP Support

OT: its santro xing tsk
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2007, 13:40   #4
Team-BHP Support

oops, mistype
That said, its a new Xing, so replacing ECU not a problem.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2007, 15:29   #5
Team-BHP Support

I am bit surprised why a malfunctionaing ECU in a new car can not be changed by the SS on its own? Sivak I do not think you need to worry much about this. Just tell them that twice in such quick succession is not a nice thing to happen. You want a ECU replacement done with the bill clearly showing "ECU Replacement done under guarantee" in it. Do not pick up the car again till this has been done.

P.S. : By the way, these things are best done at the same place from where you picked up the vehicle. There is no such written rule but my personal experience says that the dealer's workshop always is a little more amenable to these things than any other authorized service station.

Last edited by Zappo : 14th May 2007 at 15:30.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2007, 15:42   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I am bit surprised why a malfunctionaing ECU in a new car can not be changed by the SS on its own? Sivak I do not think you need to worry much about this. Just tell them that twice in such quick succession is not a nice thing to happen. You want a ECU replacement done with the bill clearly showing "ECU Replacement done under guarantee" in it. Do not pick up the car again till this has been done.

P.S. : By the way, these things are best done at the same place from where you picked up the vehicle. There is no such written rule but my personal experience says that the dealer's workshop always is a little more amenable to these things than any other authorized service station.
Replacement of ECM is not a perfect solution, I believe it is unsafe to drive such a vehicle. How can I believe this will not happen again. If next time the same happens

1) In middle of a forest range
2) While driving in the High way

I will be in soup, The vehicle coming at high speed behind me will crash my vehicle down and is a life risk.

I either want to sue the Hyundai motor's or Service engineers who did this task.
Old 14th May 2007, 16:33   #7
BHPian

Well, I am not sure sueing Hyundai is any better solution either. I think its acceptable if they agree for a replacement of ECU this time. My Verna too had this problem, but it seems working now after first repair. Next time, its for replacement.

Does the car goes completely dead including electricals, or is it just that starter/engine doesnt respond. If its the second, I think you are aware of the safety precautions, including using hazard lights and indicator, you can take if you are in the middle of a 'forest' or 'highway' so that other vehicles will not 'crash' into your car.
appuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2007, 18:19   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivak View Post
Replacement of ECM is not a perfect solution, I believe it is unsafe to drive such a vehicle.
Ummm... is it? I think if the ECU itself is faulty then a replacement is far better than some half-baked "repair".

Besides, if I am not mistaken Hyundai did a ECU replacement at the service station level for lots of transitionary Getz a year or so back. If it had been so dicey would this have been done at the service station level for brand new cars?

P.S. If the standard mappings have all gone haywire and the guys at the SS are not skilled enough to set things in order won't a new ECU with all standard parameters pre-programmed be a better idea? I am assuming that by repair your SS probably means they are remapping the ECU.

Last edited by Zappo : 14th May 2007 at 18:30.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2007, 19:03   #9

Normally it is unsafe to go out at night times in Bangalore, if your vehicle also screw down in that environment at late night.

> Does the car goes completely dead including electricals, or is it just that starter/engine doesnt respond

Well while running if it suddenly stops, How will you control the car ? every thing is fine till it you are in the side,which you can't expect in the High way. I hope your experience was not a critical one though.
Old 26th April 2016, 10:47   #10
BHPian

Default Re: ECM Malfunction

Old hyundai verna ecm faulty. Car does not start. HSS says replacement ecm will cost 70K, its a 9 year old car. Does not make sense to spend 70K to fix the ecm. Please help me find a second hand ECM for my car.
icemanz is offline   Reply With Quote