Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 23rd May 2007, 22:53   #1
BHPian

Default Power Steering Problem After Changing Santro Belts

I gave my 4.5 year old Santro, which has done 55K km to the dealers for a change of belts as they were continuing to screech even after attempted tightening. After the job was done, the supervisor himself informed me that my car has developed a power-steering pump problem. This may require either a bearing change or a pump change.
On driving the car I now get an unnerving soft humming noise which gets worse occasionally. A couple of times while turning the car, I got a screeching sound, like that of loose belts, only much louder.
Needless to say. there was no such problem earlier. Has someone goofed up badly?
Plan to take the car to another dealer tomorrow but your comments may help me avoid a sleepless night.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by nura : 23rd May 2007 at 23:13.
nura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2007, 21:19   #2
BHPian

I took the car back to the same workshop, pocket & mind prepared for a power-steering pump change (10K). The mechanic found a damaged pulley & replaced it. Most of the problems were solved but the engine RPM suddenly increases once every now & then for no rhyme or reason & the FE has gone down from 11+ to 9+. Have been driving around with this problem for the last 2 months & feel it needs some attention.
Would really appreciate your advice.
Old 21st July 2007, 22:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

The most common cause of power steering noise is a fluid leak. Leaking fluid causes the pump to whine due to lack of lubrication in the pump. In most cases the whine can be fixed by locating the leak and repairing it but in cases where the pump is run dry or below the lowest level for extended periods the pump may have to be replaced. The lines are the the most common leak area. They usually leak where the rubber line turns into the metal line. If you can turn the two parts of the lines seperately that is where the leak will be in most cases. If its not this please also get the Rack checked.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2007, 16:15   #4
BHPian

Thanks V-16. No leak has been detected so far & the power steering fluid container is also full. Could this intermittent increase in engine RPM have some other cause?
Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd July 2007, 23:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Check Idling actuator for sudden increases in RPM.
Some sensor issue, i think!
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 00:00   #6
BHPian

You can clean the throttle and Idle Actuator with Throttle clean spray and have the Air Filter cleaned also, This should stop the RPM Fluctuations and give a better power-FE.

My XETA started whining after 14,000 KM (somewhere in May-June), I got the belts adjusted, cleaned, but still issue persisted...So I got a free replacement of the Belts and that solved the problem- As said the Pulley was found damaged, It sometimes does happen. Has the belt noise gone now, You may also need to have the Idle Bearing Pulley checked ( Some part that exists on a XETA, I'm not sure how a Santro is ).

As for the Power Steering leak, Did you notice a fluid drop in the Level container- Ideally it should remain constant at Max mark, although with usage over period of time it does come down half way.
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 16:19   #7
BHPian

Thanks nitrous & wolfinstein. Will have the idling actuator checked as you've suggested. There is no belt noise now & there was never any drop in fluid level. Can someone throw more light on this idle bearing pulley please?
Old 18th January 2008, 16:20   #8
BHPian

My power steering pump has started making a slight grinding noise, probably because of a worn bearing. Other than the noise & a vibration that can be felt through the gear knob, there are no problems. Do you think it is alright to get the pump repaired? A new one costs 6-8K but Mallick Bazaar mechanics are promising to set the old one right in 30 minutes for a few hundred rupees!
Old 18th January 2008, 16:52   #9
Team-BHP Support

If replacing the pump is the only solution, then go to the local mechanics and see what they do.
Even if they don't fix it, all you lose is couple of hundreds. right?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2008, 13:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

Could an overtigtned powersteering belt cause the bearings to fail?
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2008, 16:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

I double this suggestion, a very wise one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If replacing the pump is the only solution, then go to the local mechanics and see what they do.
Even if they don't fix it, all you lose is couple of hundreds. right?
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2008, 17:51   #12
BHPian

I faced the same problem in my santro

Talked to Company and they said 9k for a replacement.

Then i searched for the pump in Kashmere gate and found only one genuine of 5-6 pieces i saw. costed me 2700 (pump) + 250 (labor).

The local mechanic said it is better to get the part replaced rather than getting it fixed so i bought the pump.
kjdesigns_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2008, 18:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Doc sahab, you could try Sheesh Motors for a replacement. If you go to Mullick Bazaar, please make sure someone stays and guards your car!
P.S. Which worlshop did you go to? Have you tried Aloke Hyundai, behind Dewars Garage Topsia?

Last edited by shuvd : 19th January 2008 at 18:09.
shuvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2008, 11:57   #14
BHPian

Thanks for the advice. I think I will buy a used power steering pump from Mallick Bazaar for 2.5K & see if the problem is rectified. I have a feeling the pump pressure is going too high at times because the ECM is increasing the engine RPM sporadically.
Does the Santro have a power steering pressure switch? If yes, can one find out if it is in the open or closed position through a diagnostic connector?
Thanks.
Old 21st January 2008, 12:08   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Could an overtigtned powersteering belt cause the bearings to fail?
Yes, its possible. Bearing failure is often caused by overtight belts
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote