Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th May 2007, 19:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Push the lever to the extreme left and then shift to 2nd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I dont find any problems in 2nd gear. Its a long throw, thats it. The reverse and 5th are the main culprits. Just cant find 4th after 5th. Its been 3 years and no luck :(
While you can't do about the shift quality, I guess, it largely depends on the way you shift.

e.g.
For 1 -> 2, your palm should press the lever to extreme left without gripping gear knob in hand. The palm should be open and roughly be facing towards the passenger side door while keeping the gear knob pressed to the left. And then slide the hand backwards to shift to second, with gear knob in contact with middle of your palm all the while.

If you hold the knob in hand, and try to shift from 1->2, most likely you'll face problem.

On other hand, while shifting from 5 -> 4, just tap back the gear knob to neutral, release the pressure on the lever. It will automatically spring back to the middle position and then just pull back. 2 step motion.

Different people will have different ways of doing it, but I have found that this works like charm.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2007, 20:14   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
From a layman's idea, its because the clutch plate and flywheel are running at different speeds. Try boarding a bus or train while its in motion. I cant explain any better.

I have the problem in my Alto, Solve it by pressing the clutch fully or pressing twice.

I have been doing this at most times for down shifting. It gives a better downshift. Actually not required since our gears are synchromesh. But helps the get the plate up to speed before the shift. Works for me.

No, actually you wont believe it, but it happens only when the car is switched on in the morning or should I say after the engine has cooled down. Or it happens if you try to do it in a hurry, I always press my clutch completely. If you move the gear to the complete right, wait for a second and then shift it down, you wont hear the krrrrrkk sound.
rdas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2007, 20:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
e.g. For 1 -> 2, your palm should press the lever to extreme left without gripping gear knob in hand.
Sounds like a driving class. But this exactly the way, the gear should be operated for a trouble free shift. I follow this religiously as my uncles and later a driving instructor have shown me.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2007, 21:36   #19
BHPian

i dont have any problems on my swift! except the reverse which seems to be a universal problem with the marutis! and some times the first right after reverse! but apart from that it goes into the second as smooth as possible rather a bit too smooth for my liking!!
speed0mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2007, 22:51   #20
Team-BHP Support

Reverse does take a bit of extra effort. Are those facing a problem with forward gears shifting right? Do keep in mind that the Swift/SX4's gearboxes are very precise and shorter-shifts compared to Alto, WagonR, Santro etc.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2007, 00:51   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For 1 -> 2, your palm should press the lever to extreme left without gripping gear knob in hand. The palm should be open and roughly be facing towards the passenger side door while keeping the gear knob pressed to the left. And then slide the hand backwards to shift to second, with gear knob in contact with middle of your palm all the while.

If you hold the knob in hand, and try to shift from 1->2, most likely you'll face problem.

On other hand, while shifting from 5 -> 4, just tap back the gear knob to neutral, release the pressure on the lever. It will automatically spring back to the middle position and then just pull back. 2 step motion.
Actually not just Swift or even Marutis. It is THE way to change gears for any car. Its called guiding the shifter. On the other hand the more you struggle (grip the lever, force it to a slot) the more it acts up.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2007, 00:57   #22

i have a diesel swift, but i don't have a problem from 1-2. but i do have a problem from 4-3, sometimes it falls in 5th. as compared to the diesel zen i had, the gear stick is too small and very hard.
lindbergq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2007, 01:41   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by menonrajesh View Post
I believe what mail4ajo has written is so true. I do always the same and have never faced any trouble. A few times whenever the gear dont get engaged to 1st from neutral, while moving from stationary, I had to release the clutch and again engae it to 1st..But thats it..
I am not following the 'straight-line' gear engagement and used to route it thru the neutral by pushing extreme left or right..I would say, with a smaller shift, Swift is a boon in this matter compared to Wagon R, Santro etc.
I have felt this too in my esteem but rarely. However, I feel the shift is smooth and engages better when you come back to neutral from first gear and then push it slightly left and then into second. However, I feel one cannot compare the gear shift quality of an Omni with any other Maruti vehicle. The Omni's is a pain always.

Also, I have heard a few people say that it is better to shift with the clutch half pressed than fully down, to have a smoother shift and better engagement. Not sure if this is true and also the right procedure !I myself havent risked it so far.

Last edited by rr_zen : 26th May 2007 at 01:44.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2007, 02:24   #24
BHPian

No problems here with 1-2 in the Swift. Reverse often does not engage properly. I too used to have issues with 5-4 until one day my friend Arjun told me to first shift into neutral, let the shifter find its natural position and then pull straight down to slot in 4th. Prior to that I was petrified of accidentally shifting into reverse from 5th (which would have happened at about 80km/h!), and sometimes I would actually shift 5-3 and then 3-4 (a really sporty combo I like to think) in order to avoid the risk.
theEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2007, 04:12   #25
BHPian

Exclamation

hey the end! you dont need to worry! it will never go from 5th to reverse!! to go into reverse, you will have to bring it to neutral and lower rpm, it will not go into reverse at 2K rpm(80kmph in 5th gear)!

there is a little difference ive felt driving the newer swift compared to my jan 06 model! the deflection required for each of them ( to floor them) is alot greater than the new ones, its as if the fulcrum in the newer ones have been adjusted such as in a short shifter setup!
also the gear shift was a little stiffer i'm guessing that is cuz it was a new car!

Last edited by speed0mania : 26th May 2007 at 04:17.
speed0mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2007, 10:30   #26
BANNED

If you can switch to Mobil-I MTF, you will get fantastic results, my 1996 Esteem had fantastic shifting with this oil, as good as Honda shifting, very slick and never any problem with reverse either.
Gurkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2007, 09:23   #27
BHPian

If I am not wrong, Swift uses cable based gear shifts. As per my ample experience with Esteem, Santro and 118 NE, 118 NE's gearbox was super smooth like a stick in butter !!! (May be Nissan gearbox)

Next is Esteem and last one is Santro.

Swift's gear has long throw which is little irritating sometimes. Particularly when signal goes green and you are in a mood to give competiton to that honda vtec which has been chasing you since long !!!

I dont face any problem while shifting from first to second at all. Just a long throw thats it.
abhaybakshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2007, 10:05   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While you can't do about the shift quality, I guess, it largely depends on the way you shift.

e.g.
For 1 -> 2, your palm should press the lever to extreme left without gripping gear knob in hand. ...

Different people will have different ways of doing it, but I have found that this works like charm.
Must be the 'right' way cause this is pretty much how I shift on my OHC too! Need decent revs tho for 1->2.
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2007, 12:04   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindbergq View Post
i have a diesel swift, but i don't have a problem from 1-2. but i do have a problem from 4-3, sometimes it falls in 5th. as compared to the diesel zen i had, the gear stick is too small and very hard.
To effortlessly take the car from 4-3 just tap the gear knob to nuetral and then press it up to 3. I use diesel swift too and it has never given me any problem with the gears.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2007, 16:53   #30
BHPian

hey i`ve had a swift for a little more than a year now and the gear changing gives me absolutely no problem . i love it except that a little more effort is required to put it into 5th . the only problem i face is down shifting form 2nd to 1st . it dosent do it very often. in my car it engages very easily into 2nd. but from 2nd gear to 3rd gear is the best . just touch the gearknob up and it slips straight into 3rd.
harry15 is offline   Reply With Quote