Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 1st June 2007, 09:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Spot on rohit. the gas pressure was reduced today & the Ac is working just fine. I have to test it extensively though. The pondy trip would be just the thing to do now. Thanks
I think i spoke too early. AC was working all right, but the cooling was less than 60%, but yesterday while driving back from Pondy, it was spewing hot air. I dont know what the problem is. I hope i dont have to change the compressor. It was fine before i gave it to ABT maruti.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2007, 10:14   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post

In our enviroment the dust build up is so much that after a while they HAVE to remove the coil & clean it, there is no other way around it. I think there is some other minor problem in your A/C system which is not letting the compressor come on, have it checked tomorrow it might just turn out be a small oversight by the service people.
Iraghava, that was a very impressive demonstration. What would be the ideal interval of getting the coil cleaned? With normal running?

Johy
johy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2007, 10:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

every two years could be a good time......
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2007, 21:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

E_L: I always get my esteem serviced at CARS, Ambattur where I have a very good rapport with the Serivce Advisor. I have had bad experiences with ABT in the past with my old M800. Not that am saying ABT is bad always and CARS is good but I opine you are in a better position if you have some personal rapport with the personnel. I have had very good service on all fronts at CARS and my warranty claims were very easy too.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2007, 23:32   #20
Team-BHP Support

if you keep the windows wound up all the while, donot use outside recirculation and vacum regularly you can live without cleaning coils for more than 5 years. again newer gen cars have a protective filter which will collect the dust and can be easily removed and cleaned.

@E_L: take the car to a good AC mech and fill up the gas with specified amount of oil, ensure that there is no leaks, that should fix your problem, another good option is to fix an additional manual thermostat cut off which will help you control the cooling better, this will cost you around 500 to 800 bucks
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2007, 19:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Went to ABT today & escalated the problem to the C.C manager. He assured me he will look into the problem personally & inform me. After a couple of hours i get a call from the same service advisor with a stupid reply. Sir, compressor is weak, cooling coil is weak. I ask him what he means & he repeats himself. Then i told him in clear terms that i will only talk to someone who knows something & he puts me on to this mechanic who attended my car & he says that there is a leak in the cooling coil & the gas has escaped through that. And he advices me to change the CC & refill the gas & everything will be fine. How did the CC develop a leak ? It was fine & the cooling was good when i gave it to him.
Old 2nd June 2007, 20:46   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Went to ABT today & escalated the problem to the C.C manager. He assured me he will look into the problem personally & inform me. After a couple of hours i get a call from the same service advisor with a stupid reply. Sir, compressor is weak, cooling coil is weak. I ask him what he means & he repeats himself. Then i told him in clear terms that i will only talk to someone who knows something & he puts me on to this mechanic who attended my car & he says that there is a leak in the cooling coil & the gas has escaped through that. And he advices me to change the CC & refill the gas & everything will be fine. How did the CC develop a leak ? It was fine & the cooling was good when i gave it to him.
hi e.l.

its really bad to have an experience like this. ive been through this several times. just do one thing. ask the service guys to give you in written what they did earlier and what they are going to do now. they will never give it in writing im sure because they know they are at fault for not checking the cc and filling gas in the first place. stay firm. ask them to open the dash and check the cc if it has been cleaned. i doubt they have done anything.
and if they did clean the cc, ask them then why the heck they didnt check it properly. IMHO when there is a problem in the a/c the first thing they do is to check for leakages. probably what they have done could be that the mechanic who attended your car could have changed the cc with a faulty one so he can sell it to other customers and make money. this has happened to me earlier.

about the gas, yes they do have a recovery thing. when they have to repair or replace something they recover the gas through a machine. when they put the gas back they charge you for the difference. did they charge 1000 for gas? man thats expensive. i got my gas recharged(accent crdi) the quantity was about 0.65 dont know if it was liters or grams. they charged me about 350 rs thats it. also three cars there got the gas filled for the same amount(i checked the invoice).

thanks
clip

p.s. - can anyone with an accent crdi tell if the blower is slow. i compared my accent crdi(after getting the a/c serviced at a.s.s.) with my fiesta the airflow was like half of the fiesta. please confirm if this is a problem or not.

ot - you went to pondy?? me jealous. just love that place. my wife is from pondy.

Last edited by clipto333 : 2nd June 2007 at 20:56.
clipto333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2007, 23:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
ot - you went to pondy?? me jealous. just love that place. my wife is from pondy.

Oh yeah, you better come down here then. Thanks clipto.

sorry for the incomplete post (My previous one). I spoke to the Cus care manager & told him that the basic thing is IF there was a leak in the cooling coil, why did you fill the gas ? you should have informed me of the problem & taken my concurrence to change the cc instead of just refilling the gas & delivering the car. How could any competent mechanic/ service centre do something like this. All he did was apologize profusely & said he will not charge me for the gas refilling again if i let them change the cooling coil. i have told him that i need to personally see the Cooling coil & where it was leaking before i let them do anything else. so this is likely to happen only on monday. beginning to get sick of the whole thing.
Old 3rd June 2007, 14:05   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Oh yeah, you better come down here then. Thanks clipto.

i have told him that i need to personally see the Cooling coil & where it was leaking before i let them do anything else. so this is likely to happen only on monday. beginning to get sick of the whole thing.
hi,

will definitely see you when i come there. ive been to pondy 6-7 times.

yes, you should see whats happening in front of your eyes. and please do ask how the cc got damaged. ive never seen a cc conk off. it usually gets choked.

BTW cant the cc get repaired? ive seen the a/c pipes or whatever you call it get repaired.

cheers
clip
Old 3rd June 2007, 15:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey e_l,

yeah personally see the cooling coil before you accept their reason to replace..mostly..99.99% of the time, they never check..most a/c mechanics never ever check the effectiveness of the gas chargin..and the most lame excuse is there is a leak.. Ask them "arent they stupid to fill up gas in a system without checking whether the system is ok?".. The gas charge system is a very easy way to make money..!!

Looks like, they've / they may force you to change the coil etc... but changing the coil does not mean better air flow..only cooling effi increases..

All the best!!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2007, 20:57   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Looks like, they've / they may force you to change the coil etc... but changing the coil does not mean better air flow..only cooling effi increases..

All the best!!
The air throw has increased substantially after they cleaned the ducts & cooling coil. Only the cooling is gone now.
Old 3rd June 2007, 21:57   #27
Team-BHP Support

happened to me in my esteem, had a bust compressor and when i got it repaired and fitted the CC back after cleaning got a pin hole leak, in 1995 it cost 10 k INR, repairing is difficult since it had very thin pipes with fins running between them and even a careful weld might be a difficult task
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2007, 08:14   #28
Senior - BHPian

Welding is ruled out. only replacement & i am hoping that it would be done on my terms after inspecting the old coil which i will do in a couple of hours from now.
Old 6th June 2007, 14:38   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Welding is ruled out. only replacement & i am hoping that it would be done on my terms after inspecting the old coil which i will do in a couple of hours from now.
so did you get the a/c repaired? what did they say?

cheers
clip
Old 7th June 2007, 01:24   #30
Senior - BHPian

Default Another attempt to cheat

AC is working alright. I went to check the damage on the Cooling coil on 4th morning & the Customer Care manager & the S.A & the mechanic all tried to explain to me that the CC had a leak. But i could clearly see that the CC has been damaged while these idiots were trying to take out leaves & dirt. So i let them change the CC on the condition that i will not pay labour, gas & my previous bill to be deducted from this bill. Everything was agreed upon & my car was ready in the evening. By now the staff have become extra courteous to me.

So i check the AC & it is cooling fine just like before & i was shown the bill amount. I saw that they have charged Rs.5300/- for the cooling coil. I remembered seeing the MRP in the box was Rs.4840/-, so i ask them what is the difference & i am told by the SA that it is service tax. How stupid !!! Then some others said it was VAT. How stupid again !!! I asked the CC manager how there could be any taxes beyond MRP & i also showed him the marking on the box which read "MRP . Rs.4841.20 (inclusive all taxes) Inclusive of VAT, octroi etc". Then they said they cannot change the billing in the computer & that i would have to pay them now & they will send the receipt later. I stood my ground & said i will pay only if i am given a proper bill & receipt. Somehow that was also managed & i drove out. Some experience that. Phew!!!