Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th March 2010, 00:35   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys / Gurus,

Need some advice for the A/C in my Esteem.

Regards,

SS
Topping up the gas comes into play only if the pressure is found to be low. For that you have to link up a gauge, etc. My R12 AC system has a looking glass on the receiver dryer which can be used to check the pressure. If your car has a R134a, I'm not sure if it will have a that window. In that case, linking up gauges would be the only option to check the gas pressure.

Changing gas is not at all required unless the gas is somehow contaminated with air or was not pure to begin with.

Cleaning the evaporator can make your system work more efficiently. But do you have reason to believe that your evaporator is dirty? Cleaning it will involve replacing the gas, etc... so its not exactly a minor job.

Rs. 1,600 seems too high IMO, esp. if you have a R134a system.

13.5 deg C at the vents sounds high... but this depends greatly on ambient temperature, RPM, etc. So can't for sure. In the evenings, IIRC, I have seen about 6 deg C in my Esteem.

Last edited by Raccoon : 30th March 2010 at 00:36.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 12:12   #77
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
My R12 AC system has a looking glass on the receiver dryer which can be used to check the pressure. If your car has a R134a, I'm not sure if it will have a that window.
The receiver-dryer sight glass that you refer is a reference to see the gas flow in the system but not to check pressure IMO. If you see a clean clear flow of the stream of gas, then your a/c system is working fine. However, if you see bubbles then the system is low on gas and will require a top up.

Systems using R134a refrigerant also have this sight glass.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 12:55   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys / Gurus,

I took the car to an A/C mechanic and he said that the gas was OK, there were no leaks and the A/C was functioning as per normal.

The temperature measured at the outlet vent with a digital thermometer was 13.5 degrees. Is this normal or should it be lower?

The mechanic says that's the best I will get on an Esteem. However, he also added that if I do a service of the cooling coils (including gas charging of the system)the cooling MIGHT get better. Cost for this is Rs. 1600/=.

Alternatively, if the Esteem's (all Esteem's) A/C is relatively weak as the mechanic says, what can be done to improve it? Any point changing the compressor to a more powerful one? I was again told by him that this would not make a great difference. He says the only way I can get better cooling is to fit a Superking blower. I do not want to do that as it cancels the whole HVAC system if fitted.
Esteem AC circulation is one of the poorest, I had a tough time driving my esteem in Chennai & one of the reasons why I sold the car.

The lowest it should get around the AC vents is 6.5c irrespective of the outside temp, below which the AC cuts off. 13.5 degrees is too low & something is wrong & in the worst case the compressor (subros) might be broke.

1600/- rupees is a fair price for complete checkup, cleaning of the system with gas filling. The labor part comes to around 500-600 rupees.

Don't fit superking, if any problem arises M.A.S.S will not service your car..

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 30th March 2010 at 12:57.
Mr_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 01:59   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
The receiver-dryer sight glass that you refer is a reference to see the gas flow in the system but not to check pressure IMO. If you see a clean clear flow of the stream of gas, then your a/c system is working fine. However, if you see bubbles then the system is low on gas and will require a top up.

Systems using R134a refrigerant also have this sight glass.
It is a means to check if the pressure is low. However, it may not be useful, for this purpose, for R134a systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Esteem AC circulation is one of the poorest, I had a tough time driving my esteem in Chennai & one of the reasons why I sold the car.

The lowest it should get around the AC vents is 6.5c irrespective of the outside temp, below which the AC cuts off. 13.5 degrees is too low & something is wrong & in the worst case the compressor (subros) might be broke.

1600/- rupees is a fair price for complete checkup, cleaning of the system with gas filling. The labor part comes to around 500-600 rupees.

Don't fit superking, if any problem arises M.A.S.S will not service your car..
Circulation is poor? I'm not too sure of that, because I feel the blower circulates/throws air reasonably ok. Its the cooling that seems insufficient in summers, in Esteems. :(

Last month I payed Rs. 2,100 (total)for checking for leaks with Nitrogen, repairing one hose (Rs. 500), cleaning blower, cleaning evaporator plus checking it for leaking and charging with R12.

R134a is cheaper, plus he does not have a pipe to repair. So the rates seem to be a bit higher. Depends where it is done though...

Last edited by Raccoon : 31st March 2010 at 02:00.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 13:08   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Circulation is poor? I'm not too sure of that, because I feel the blower circulates/throws air reasonably ok. Its the cooling that seems insufficient in summers, in Esteems. :(
You are right, circulation is not a problem, it is the cooling in the peak summer. Starts about now here in chennai. The evenings are ok.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote