Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 28th June 2010, 00:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

Urban myth , RFID and cellphones work in different RF bands In Korea and Japan almost all cellphones have NFC chips used for e-cash and the two bands don't interfere.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 00:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Don't know about car keys and keyless entries man but my magnetic strip on my hotel key has gone bad twice just by keeping it on the cell phone coupled with the heat in the car.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 04:03   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
I am currently driving a Nissan Altima '08 model which comes with this Intelligent key. Most often, the I-key and cellphone are right next to each other in the cubby hole in the central console and many a times I have made / received phonecalls as well. The phone stays in its place since I use the bluetooth. But till today, I haven't faced any issue as mentioned in the news article above. Not sure if it has been rectified or if I'm just plain lucky.
My brother owns a Nissan Altima 3.5SE since 2008. He confirmed that in spite of leaving his cellphone with the key all the time, such an issue has not occurred.

If it happens so, he'll sue Nissan
kage9091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 09:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Don't know about car keys and keyless entries man but my magnetic strip on my hotel key has gone bad twice just by keeping it on the cell phone coupled with the heat in the car.
That is simple principle of physics that is electromagnatism

RFID uses unlicensed ISM band so does not interfere with CDMA or GSM/UMTS signals. T-Money in Korea uses RFID and is available on cellphones to buy subway/bus tickets make taxi payments and to make purchases at convenience outlets.
Old 28th June 2010, 09:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

I too have this doubt so always carry my mobile phone in a hip pouch and the keys of my Alto in my pocket just to be on the safe side. It is common knowledge that mobile phones should not be kept near magnetic media, so the same logic should apply to the i-cat key as well.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 09:57   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I too have this doubt so always carry my mobile phone in a hip pouch and the keys of my Alto in my pocket just to be on the safe side. It is common knowledge that mobile phones should not be kept near magnetic media, so the same logic should apply to the i-cat key as well.
Not to sound repetitive but i-cat key uses RFID and it is not magnetic media to store information.