Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th February 2017, 01:49   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Effect of parking on slope/incline

What you could do to negate the effect of strain is reverse the direction of the car each time you park. Such that a different axle is more loaded each time you park.
I do this with my car regularly since 2 years & I do not see any adverse affect on suspension.
raihan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 10:53   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
What you could do to negate the effect of strain is reverse the direction of the car each time you park. Such that a different axle is more loaded each time you park.
I do this with my car regularly since 2 years & I do not see any adverse affect on suspension.
I did the same. Earlier, I used to park in such a way that the left tyres would be at least 6 inches over the right ones. This was because of the difference in level of the tarred and untarred part of the road in front of my home.

Specially after parking it continuously for 3-4 days, I would find that steering feel was not the same as earlier. At times, it would feel a bit hard or would not auto return smoothly after a turn.

Also, even when parked on a level surface, the car would be sagging ever so slightly on its right.

The vertical gap between the RHS tyres and the fenders would also be lesser than the respective measurement on the LHS.

I then started parking the opposite way, i.e with the right tyres on the raised portion of the road. After about a fortnight, when I could see that the gaps were almost identical, I began parking on a level surface, albeit a little distance away from my home .
dailydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 18:31   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Specially after parking it continuously for 3-4 days, I would find that steering feel was not the same as earlier. At times, it would feel a bit hard or would not auto return smoothly after a turn.
Thank you for the feedback. I never thought that parking for 3-4 days could show such a difference. I always thought that it is prolonged duration (like 15 days) that would show noticeable effects.
vijayvelprakash is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 19:54   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayvelprakash View Post
Thank you for the feedback. I never thought that parking for 3-4 days could show such a difference. I always thought that it is prolonged duration (like 15 days) that would show noticeable effects.
My car is six years old, with a suspension that has seen the worst of roads. Also, please note that continuously is the operative word here. After 3-4 days, the changes in steering feel are very subtle and may not be noticed by a casual driver. The same is more pronounced when the car remains parked longer.

Even then, unless the uneven parking is playing at the back of your mind, you will rush towards your alignment guy/service centre complaining of a left/right pull or a non compliant steering!

If you ever face such a situation, don't worry. This is a self healing malady. You can aid the recovery by stationing the car on level ground. That's all.
dailydriver is offline   Reply With Quote