Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2007, 09:53   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,254
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

I feel service interval and the stuffs we need to replace depends on how engine and its components designed. Every comapny recommand change of parts but interval is different, more or less all new cars in their segment cost same on maintanance.

About Swift and other 75 cars I read about spare parts cost in autocar magazine. Nov. 2006.

According to it spare cost (all service,mechanical,accident repair all parts) for omni cost is 20K(cheapest among economy cars), its 40K for Santro (medium cost) and 60K for Swift(most expensive among economy cars) 100k (costliest among MUV) for Innova and 90K for NHC(damm cheapest among upper mid sizer).

About service of few cars I realized when I discussed with senior managers of authroized service stations the rule to change parts changes place to place because we have different type of roads all around India.

Ex-> for one civil contractor here service cost was too huge when he asked the reason is his many of the parts inside were dusty and he eralized he drove his car in bad road in city outskirts as well So I am sure we should go by what service advisor recommand unless we have good knoweldge on the car or If we are sure they are trying to take advantage from us by charging us too much. Who knows they might have not changed the parts and simply show big bills. I saw few cases like this but as per my knowledge now a days every one concentrate on bringing more happy customers than cheating the customers to earn more money which is good move.

I feel this sapre parts cost discussed in this forum last year in some thread.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 9th June 2007 at 09:56.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2007, 17:58   #17
BHPian
 
kartikkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore...not Bengaluru
Posts: 214
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
None of the other car dealers recommend Transmission oil change at 20K km. Niether they recommend replacing clutch oil at 20K. Collant replacement is again not at 20K. All these are done at least at 40K KM intervals or higher. Hope you got it now.
I see you point, all I was trying to say was that each car and each engine is different and comparing across cars may not be desirable. Replacements are a combination of various factors and are designed to take into consideration the worst and best of driving styles and driving conditions. Keeping that in mind, the manufacturer comes up with a service schedule. Given your conditions, it may not be necessary to make certain replacements at 20k kms, but maintenance schedules are not tailored for each driver is it?

Bottom line, there's probably a reason they recommend transmission oil and clutch oil changes at a particular mileage.
kartikkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 22:18   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 922
Thanked: 378 Times
Default

Yes, there's probably a reason why they recommend frequent maintenance, but I would like to learn (through this thread) whether the actual reason is one of the following:
1. More the maintenance, more the profit for the manufacturer
2. Heck, their cars are designed with cheap components that result in frequent maintenance

More discussion/comparison on this please!
jinojohnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 22:31   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,248
Thanked: 340 Times
Default

Please note that the required parts are to be changed at the required intervals as it also helps with the warranty. I remember Vitesse suggesting that in addition to the parts mentioned in the above posts, the AC also be serviced during my 40k kms service. I did not feel it was required but the Vitesse guys told me that if not done now & if and AC compnent fails, it would not be covered under warranty as the owner did not abide by the recommended service intervals and hence the break down. And this totally makes sense.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 22:36   #20
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 7,402
Thanked: 4,680 Times
Default

Epic, I am afraid he conned you. I don't think there is any AC servicing required at 40k kms. Can you please double check in your service booklet ?
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 22:42   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,860
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

Check the service booklet and if not present, get back to the service center and challenge the SA as to why he forced it on you!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 07:01   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NH209
Posts: 1,607
Thanked: 701 Times
Default

yeah sir spare parts aggregate of swift is one among the highest in comparison to the competition and service bills give a mild shock when seeing the oils replaced soon. IIRC, Ford figo's transmission oil need not be replaced for a life time.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 07:29   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
vigsom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AUH<->MAA
Posts: 1,722
Thanked: 581 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
I feel service interval and the stuffs we need to replace depends on how engine and its components designed. Every comapny recommand change of parts but interval is different, more or less all new cars in their segment cost same on maintanance.

About Swift and other 75 cars I read about spare parts cost in autocar magazine. Nov. 2006.

According to it spare cost (all service,mechanical,accident repair all parts) for omni cost is 20K(cheapest among economy cars), its 40K for Santro (medium cost) and 60K for Swift(most expensive among economy cars) 100k (costliest among MUV) for Innova and 90K for NHC(damm cheapest among upper mid sizer).

About service of few cars I realized when I discussed with senior managers of authroized service stations the rule to change parts changes place to place because we have different type of roads all around India.

Ex-> for one civil contractor here service cost was too huge when he asked the reason is his many of the parts inside were dusty and he eralized he drove his car in bad road in city outskirts as well So I am sure we should go by what service advisor recommand unless we have good knoweldge on the car or If we are sure they are trying to take advantage from us by charging us too much. Who knows they might have not changed the parts and simply show big bills. I saw few cases like this but as per my knowledge now a days every one concentrate on bringing more happy customers than cheating the customers to earn more money which is good move.

I feel this sapre parts cost discussed in this forum last year in some thread.

Regards,

Ravi.
You will be pleasantly surprised at the cost of spare parts of Swift now - in 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I remember Vitesse suggesting that in addition to the parts mentioned in the above posts, the AC also be serviced during my 40k kms service. I did not feel it was required but the Vitesse guys told me that if not done now & if and AC compnent fails, it would not be covered under warranty as the owner did not abide by the recommended service intervals and hence the break down. And this totally makes sense.
You have to pay for the ac service right? As far as I knowthese the ac servicing interval is not mentioned.Yes,it is a good idea to clean the condenser from time to time since it sees a lot of dust/insects etc.

Else,if the ac is working fine,it shouldn't be touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
yeah sir spare parts aggregate of swift is one among the highest in comparison to the competition and service bills give a mild shock when seeing the oils replaced soon. IIRC, Ford figo's transmission oil need not be replaced for a life time.
that is not true - if I remember right,there was a spare parts comparison done by ACI sometime in early 2009,which showed Swift parts cheap.

So far as oils go,the manufacturer recommends a certain interval,say 20k kms since every oil loses its properties when subjected to heat,and with age.

My experience has been that the first oil change is a no-compromise situation.Thereafter,you can delay transmission oil change based on driving style eg.a driver who does not cross say 70 kmph can easily stretch the transmission oil interval to 25000 kms against recommended 20000 kms.

In cars with rear wheel drive,the differential oil must necessarily be changed at 20k kms
vigsom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 10:41   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,248
Thanked: 340 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Epic, I am afraid he conned you. I don't think there is any AC servicing required at 40k kms. Can you please double check in your service booklet ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Check the service booklet and if not present, get back to the service center and challenge the SA as to why he forced it on you!
Conned? Well I dont see how one is conned in having and important part of your vehicle serviced after a certain amount of kilometers. Living in a place like Mumbai which has high levels of dust and humidity and also I personally living bang opposite the sea, tends to affect certain parts of the car whether it be AC, body parts of whatever. I didn't mind getting it serviced as I remember that when I had purchased my car in December 2005, I never needed to go above blower position '1' as the AC would cool brilliantly at that position, but as years passed; 3 yrs to be precise, I had to go up to blower position '2' to get good cooling. I personally found the AC performing better after the service as I again didn't need to go above blower position '1'. The condensor needed through cleaning as most of the fins were blocked. I now service my AC once a year.

@HappyWheels - I was not forced. It was suggested and I did it and it paid off.

Yes, there are many authorised service centers that look to conning its customers but then it all depends on the service center you go to and your luck. I have always got my car serviced and repaired from Vitesse; whether it was a denting painting job, service job or changing a bulb. Yes, it does cost a bit more than your local mechanic but if you read through my thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-my-swift.html (Issues With Paint on my Swift) you will know why it pays off to get certain things done at the right time from an authorised service centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
You will be pleasantly surprised at the cost of spare parts of Swift now - in 2010.

You have to pay for the ac service right? As far as I knowthese the ac servicing interval is not mentioned.Yes,it is a good idea to clean the condenser from time to time since it sees a lot of dust/insects etc.

Else,if the ac is working fine,it shouldn't be touched

that is not true - if I remember right,there was a spare parts comparison done by ACI sometime in early 2009,which showed Swift parts cheap.
I agree with Vigsom. I remember that when I bought my Swift in 2005, the first part to get damaged by a speeding bus was my LHS rear view mirror, the mirror was fine but only the rear cover had fallen off and broken. When I went to Vitesse to get the cover, I was tols that the entire mirror had to be changed which would cost me Rs. 3500/- and that too ws not available at the moment. I was obviously shocked and upset and wrote many letters to Maruti on the same as to why are spares so expensive and if only a cover was damaged, why had the entire mirror to be changed? Fortunately for me, I was not the only one with this problem. I finally changed the entire mirror for Rs. 1850/- from Vitesse and I believe now Maruti is also manufacturing only the rear mirror cover as a spare so you can even change only rear cover if damaged and need not change the entire mirror.

I have noticed that any new car intorduced in the country tends to have expensive spares for the first year atleast and I believe it also depends how successfully that particular model is sold. If more numbers are sold, the spare parts tend to get cheaper as they are made in bulk, if not successfully sold, the spare parts will always be expensive as they are made to order. Just my 2 cents though.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 09:57   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,457
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

My Swift has run around 45000 Km in 3.5 years. I am now looking to get it serviced at independent mechanics rather than at the M. A. S. S. to reduce costs.

I have never gone to an independent mechanic in India, so need some advice here.

For an oil change, where does the mechanic get the new oil filter & oil from? Will he have a stock of the right oil filter for the Swift Petrol or should I buy it from somewhere & go to the mechanic? If yes, where can I buy it? How much would an air filter for Swift cost? Do I need to buy a MGP or are there good after market ones?
Likewise for air filter.

Plus do independent mechanics do all the other checks mentioned in the service manual (suspension etc)?

I am thinking of going to Mastakar Auto Service at Oshiwara (Lotus Petrol Pump) - any opinions on them?
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 10:11   #26
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 7,402
Thanked: 4,680 Times
Default

Buy all the stuff on your own. Look up for references in the directory section

Approximate costs

Engine Oil: 200 per lit * 3.1 litres
Oil Filter: 375
Air Filter: 250

You can get MGP off the shelf from a maruti spares shop.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 11:38   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,457
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Buy all the stuff on your own. Look up for references in the directory section

Approximate costs

Engine Oil: 200 per lit * 3.1 litres
Oil Filter: 375
Air Filter: 250

You can get MGP off the shelf from a maruti spares shop.

I called up Mastakar Auto Service. They quoted
- 300 fixed charges.
- 100 Oil change
- 1000 3 litres of oil
- 75 for Oil Filter

Either going with your mentioned charges or their mentioned charges, I am not really sure if I am going to save much money by going to an independent garage as compared to going to a M A S S.

I wonder why there aren't any oil change specialists in India like in the US
- Jiffy Lube - Oil + Oil Filter Change + routine checks - 30$
http://www.jiffylube.com/autoservice...reservice.aspx
- Goodyear Gemini - Oil + Oil Filter Change + routine checks - 16$ with coupon (sometimes includes free tyre rotation also).
http://www.ecouponshawaii.com/detail...?nid=79&aid=38
http://www.geminicarcare.com/autoCareServices/oil.html

Even the Mazda dealer used to charge me just 25-30$ for a quick oil/oil filter change & fluid top up.
Wonder why this is so expensive in India.

Last edited by carboy : 6th October 2010 at 11:55.
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 12:39   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
rajeev k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Emerging Metro
Posts: 3,306
Thanked: 1,730 Times
Default

I do not think that Swift maintenance cost is higher. I paid <3.5K for Swift Petrol for 20K km service in December 2009, whereas in August 2009 I became poorer by 5.4K for Alto 20K km service. The additional item for Alto was a MGP steering wheel cover costing around 300 bucks.

The other difference is the cost of flushing oil and flushing charge for engine oil as well as transmission oil for Alto. In Swift's case flushing was not done. The Swift was serviced at Indus Cochin, whereas the Alto was done (in) by Popular.

The similar jobs done for both the cars were paid service, sturt servicing (strut bush chande), brake overhauling, wheel alignment etc

Last edited by rajeev k : 6th October 2010 at 12:41.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 20:49   #29
BHPian
 
abhaybakshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 177
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

I think brake oil. coolant need not be changed in 20K. My Swift has been running on same coolant and it is 55 K now. No issues. I think it's just over caring.....
abhaybakshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 21:10   #30
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,628
Thanked: 10,832 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
...cost of flushing oil and flushing charge...
There is no provision for engine flush in the Swift's schedule of maintenance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post
I think brake oil. coolant need not be changed in 20K. My Swift has been running on same coolant and it is 55 K now.
Recommended brake oil replacement interval is 30,000km or 2 years, whichever is earlier. Coolant replacement and radiator flush recommended at 45k km or 3 years. A 10% overshooting is never an issue, but totally ignoring the intervals and carrying on regardless... it's your car after all.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yamaha FZ-S: Unhappy with part quality / replacements & after-sales service Googleman Motorbikes 34 30th June 2017 13:03
Maruti 800 [ Certain Queries ] jramprakash Technical Stuff 26 29th January 2011 23:36
Palio and Panda replacements coming in 2009 - Times of India, Times Drive 4strings The Indian Car Scene 14 5th June 2008 07:41
Dont go overboard on Gates and Windows! Steeroid Shifting gears 8 9th December 2005 16:55


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:44.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks