Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 10th June 2007, 16:02   #1

Default Skoda Oct. 1.9 Tdi: Vibrates during takeoff and in the reverse gear

Dear All, I am new to the forum and also, this is my first post. I am amazed to see the enthausiam over here. Its full of energy.
I have a Skoda Oct. 1.9 Tdi Classic. Somebody recently noticed my tires vibrating during Takeoff and while reversing the car. This only happens at very slow speeds.
Is it normal?

Anand

Mods note: Do not use font tag/colour tag for post.
abhargava75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 16:34   #2
BHPian

Hello. Welcome to Team-BHP. Do introduce yourself in the Introductions section. From your explanation, it is not normal. My uncle's octavia 1.9 tdi has done close to 60k km and there is no vibration during reverse and forward slow speeds. I think your bearings are weak? I'm not sure, just a guessing. But vibration of the wheels could mean anything else.

Wait till the others drop in their opinions..

A
Absar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 17:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Usually this problem relates to wheel alignment and balancing or a damaged rim/worn out tyres.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 18:17   #4
BHPian

Whats the odo reading. That should tell a lot
rishibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 18:27   #5
BANNED

Check your CV joints for wear.
Gurkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 18:52   #6
Team-BHP Support

I shudder to tell you that during takeoff if your car's vibrating it mostly is due to the clutch worn out causing clutch shudder.

This will be pronounced in 1st gear starting off and in reverse as well. The wheels vibrating or rather shaking is because of the same shudder.

How many kms has your done? Could you give us more details?

It wont be due to alignment and balancing as it is at slow speeds. You will feel that at higher speeds if it vibrates at the steering it is due to the balancing.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 19:22   #7
BHPian

used to happen in my friends alto. was later diagnosed to have a worn out clutch. problem was solved after the clutch was replaced.
flipsyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 19:59   #8

Thank you all for responding so promply. The car is only 6 months old and has run 4500 Kms.
Old 10th June 2007, 20:05   #9

Couple of more inputs:
1) It only happens when the wheel starts rolling
2) It stops as soon as they start rolling
3) I am very particular about clutch usage, there are no other symtoms

Initially I thought, it might be because of the engine vibration coming on to the type, because of low RPMs. It happens more when reversing the car.

Please enlighten.

Regards,
Anand
Old 10th June 2007, 20:20   #10
Team-BHP Support

hmmmm, do you release the clutch too early. try increasing the rpm and rolling. basically slip the clutch a tad.

now that you say it's only 6months and 4500kms it can't possible be the clutch. has to be something else but I guess other skoda owners should be able to help you.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 21:54   #11
BHPian

Wow! 4,500 km/6 months and a suspect of faulty clutch? Can't be! Must be some other reason.. Or even if its the clutch, don't worry, warranty is alive..

Wait for some inputs from other Skoda owners like how vid6639 mentioned

A
Absar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 01:32   #12

I had a word with a Mechanic from the Skoda Showroom. He says its normal. Its true for all Skoda Oct. TDi versions. I wonder.

Waiting for the Skoda Oct. owners to comment.
Old 3rd August 2015, 23:19   #13
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Oct. 1.9 Tdi: Vibrates during takeoff and in the reverse gear

Hi Friends
I am planning on buying a used superb 1.8TSI AT 2012. I have test driven it enough to know it works fine. Today i took it skoda and they refused to do any check up since appointment is only by booking and not available for 12 days.
Anyway I was test driving the car once out of service station while taking a U turn it shuddered a little when picking it up from low speed. Now i have real a few threads which state its a sign of clutch problem and for automatics it can be worse. Please guide. If needed i ll take it to okhla workstation where i can actually get an appointment. Quick reply in this case will be much appriciated. Since i need to close the deal in a day or two and have already paid good amount of money.
somebodystopme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2015, 11:54   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post
Hi Friends
I am planning on buying a used superb 1.8TSI AT 2012. I have test driven it enough to know it works fine. Today i took it skoda and they refused to do any check up since appointment is only by booking and not available for 12 days.
Anyway I was test driving the car once out of service station while taking a U turn it shuddered a little when picking it up from low speed. Now i have real a few threads which state its a sign of clutch problem and for automatics it can be worse. Please guide. If needed i ll take it to okhla workstation where i can actually get an appointment. Quick reply in this case will be much appriciated. Since i need to close the deal in a day or two and have already paid good amount of money.
Was the shudder while turning and in the steering? Driveshaft could be the culprit it there's no shudder in straight line.

Cheers,
Ardhendu
Ardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2015, 12:01   #15
Team-BHP Support

IT is the dual mass flywheel giving up. Means replacing the clutch. Will cost you arouns Rs 35000
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote